Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a STRAIGHT 6 in your HotRod? Come On, stand up!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AHotRod, May 25, 2004.

1. hitek

hitek

Actually easy.. It only takes $ and connections... The bore is 3.6875 After that Venolia will make you anything you want. Send me a PM and I will give you the contact. You can buy top fuel pistons and plasma moly rings in pretty much any size and configuration you want. You can also put the pins in where ever you want. So for example Chrysler got the huge stroke in the shorter rods and crank. You can put in 238 ci rods and put the rods in a different position. I can also get you custom rods any length and configuration you want. None of that is cheap, but it
    can be gotten and its no where near as difficult as you might think!

6narow likes this.
  2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I've used custom Venolia pistons in my engines before. I just never thought of them as Top Fuel pistons, since they didn't have mega bores, hemi domes, exotic coatings, or any of the other things that make a top fuel piston unique to top fuel. How silly of me.

So with that 3.685 bore and 4.750 stroke you're pushing what? about 315 cubic inches?

hitek likes this.
  3. 6narow

6narow

For those who are wondering, a stock 265 Flathead Dodge truck motor combines a 3 7/16" bore with a 4 3/4" stroke (actually <264.5 cu.in.).
    With the 1/4" overbore he mentioned, the displacement increases to 304 cubes +.
    However, he mentioned a stroke increase, but never said by how much.
    If you figure in another 1/8", that's 4 7/8" stroke and brings up engine displacement to a smack over 312 cu.in.
    ...so, in short, yeah Frenchy, you were pretty close! =)
    Great info on the parts swappage hitek. Thanks for that!

hitek likes this.
  4. hitek

hitek

Well Venolia makes a lot of different pistons and rings. Top fuel grade pistons have nothing to do bore or domes. They do have to do with coatings and rings and the grade of material they are made from. The piston is anodized and Teflon coated to prevent galling during the high temperatures. The top ring is an L-shaped Dykes ring that provides a good seal during combustion but a second ring must be used to prevent oil from entering the combustion chamber during intake strokes as the Dykes-style ring offers less than optimal combustion gas sealing. The third ring is an oil scraper ring whose function is helped by the second ring. They are made because the fuel is up to 90% nitromethane and the rest is pretty much methanol and add lots of pressure and light it and it is pretty tough on engine internals and pistons are a key piece of abuse.

They also used to have different coatings for alcohol and various fuels, but these days its likely cheaper to
    order up top fuel pistons, in the exact dimensions and pin placement you want even if your not running nitromethane and methanol. I ordered mine through a 3rd party NHRA top fuel team which then had
    everything coating and ring wise exactly as theirs were, using the top design we wanted.

oh on cubic inches, yah not quite that but close enough.

6narow and Bigcheese327 like this.
  5. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Love the inline 6's

6. fritzthecat

fritzthecat

7. I have a 261 in my 62 c10 with 2 barrel but hasn't anybody here heard of the ''mighty six''.

6narow likes this.
  8. 6narow

6narow

For a long time now.
    Isn't he part of this group?
    Thought I seen him post here a time or two.

6narow

9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I am currently going to be building a 230 for my 1938 Plymouth Commercial Car, a.k.a. 1938 Plymouth Truck. And a 237(25 1/4 inch) for the Truck in my avatar, it's a 1937 Dodge ME-32. I just worked past midnight last night and removed the shoes, wheel cylinders, and the Master Cylinder. I will be upgrading the rear brakes to a 14" set up and having all the Hydraulic parts sleeved with stainless steel, to avoid doing all of this a second time. Once I get the green truck on the road, I will put all my efforts onto the 1938. I am having trouble finding good sources for OE flathead parts, anyone know of a guy who might have a lot of stock parts?

I will try to get some photos of the Valiant for you guys....

10. My new triple carb manifold is coming over in one of my customers suit cases from Australia on Friday.
    I'm pretty happy, as its taken a while to get it.
    He's just sent me a pic.
    I'm not real happy about the fins though, look more like blobs of weld.
    Hopefully I can tidy them up.
    Anyone think they could be built up, then ground smooth?
    I know alloy welding can be dodgy. IMG_20160203_215302.JPG

11. Futura63

Futura63
    from N/W ohio

I'm plannin on pumpin up the 223 in my tow vehicle 100_0692.JPG

12. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I would not recommend extensive welding to the fins. Excessive warpage at the mounting flanges could result.

13. I had looked into modifying one once before, which is why I asked.
    A confident aluminum welder told me its easy to mess it up, but the mods I was thinking were a lot more than what I was thinking here. Just a little build up, then grind to shape.
    This cost me $400, so I don't want to wreck it.
    I'm hoping I can take a die grinder to it, and clean it up.
    Its certainty different to what the sellers website pictured.
    I'll be ringing em, when they get outer bed. Slight time diff between both countries.
    Thanks for your reply.

14. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

What intake is that?

15. Its a Redline from Australia.
    Fits all 9 port Holden heads.

The Holden six is a GM product, mostly a copy of the Chev six.
    My new engine is a 186 ci, but currently in my Hudson is a 3.3 Holden Commodore, which is a later model, 12 port head.

Hudson is certified for a 186, so im going to build one for it.

16. I've been ringing Redline shops, but having no luck with an answer to my question yet.
    Here's a pic of what I thought I was buying, and another of what I've brought.
    IMG_20150707_010619.JPG IMG_20160203_215302.JPG

17. OK, I'm a dumbass.
    It would seem that its down to crappy picture being pixelated.
    I'll know for sure next week, once its here.

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

Cool intake. What carbs are you gonna run?

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Jeff, Maybe you can dress up the top if needed with the die grinder and find a mill to clean up the width of the fins. not many cast intakes were really clean looking.

kiwijeff likes this.
  20. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Yeah, it looks like it is just a crappy pic. The one you bought is different though. Yours has a round area in one of the runners and a threaded bung in another. Did they have different options? It's a good looking intake.

kiwijeff likes this.
  21. It is a little different, but the people who make em tell me its the same, haha.
    Its made for Stromburgs, and I've already got four, but they are all different sizes. I may only run center carb for start and put block offs under both ends.
    Maybe set up progressive linkage when I get three the same.
    Can't wait for the fanimold to get here. :D

22. If you look for three BVX 2 Strombergs , it should be good .

Pretty sure I have one in pieces here .

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. 6narow

6narow

Jeff,
    Nice looking avatar and that intake looks cool to me.
    A question though....What do you mean when you say your Hudson is "certified" for the 186 cu.in. engine.?
    I'm in the US, so that statement is a bit foreign to me.
    Thanks in advance for your time and good luck with the intake.

6narow.

kiwijeff likes this.
  24. We have a certification system for modified cars down here, with pretty clear guidelines, on what you can, and can't do.
    While building a car, not just Hot Rods, you consult with a certifier throughout the build process, pay money for the privilege along the way, then when the build is finished, the cert guy signs off on it, you pay more, then you pay to register it, and take it through a vin and warrant process, and.... You guessed it, pay a little more.

Its not stupid expensive, and its very safety orintated.
    Its also run buy car guys, who worked hard years ago, with the Govt, to develope a system that most can live with.

You get a tag, like an oversized vin tag, with the relevant details stamped on it.
    Tire and wheel size, engine size, induction,etc.
    You are not allowed to alter it, the vehicle, but are allowed some alterations, such as a 15 % increase in HP.
    You can alter things, if you have the changes certified, just have to pay again.

This is why the builder swapped out the original 186, for the slightly bigger 3.3.

I'd like to put it back to the 186, because of legal aspect, and also, mainly because 186s, like a Chev or GMC, can be hot Rodded, both performance wise, and cosmeticly.

I love an old Blueflame six with all the finned alloy speed equipment, and this is the next best thing.

Interestingly to me, is that Hudson had a model called Commodore in the 50s sometime, and the current engine is a Holden Commodore.
    Don't think the builder knew of that when he put it in there.

Thanks for the kind words on the avatar. I brought it from the guy who built it, and spent 5 months rebuilding it, with my idea of trad style.
    I've owned a lot of these sixes, but I never made any scream, as much as this one.
    I cane it, and its getting tired.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    6narow likes this.
  25. Thanks Dusty, I swapped a set of Ward mag wheels to Gonk, for four Stromburgs, and I don't think any have matching numbers on the throttlebodys.
    I Gotter write em all down so I know what I have.
    Found an ID page on a website, that I have saved somewhere.

Thanks for the offer, I'm keen on as many carb bits I can get for it. I'll build up three good ones.
    Might be a good excuse for Gonk to call in and catch up with you.
    He's been back and forward a lot lately with the car shows.

26. Yep , that's cool , I've got a BVOX2 as well , I think the difference is just the throttle body , should be able to mix and match a set with all that you have.

ps, I was planning on taking a trailer load of junk to the Kustoms swap meet in March.

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Guess I'd better add a pic to keep on topic

100_4621.JPG

6narow and kiwijeff like this.
  28. I didn't realize you had some cool parts on your engine.
    Great stuff.

Not sure if I'll get to the swap meet, its been a quite Summer work wise for me.
    If I do, I'll come and catch up, and buy your Stromburgs.

29. stik70

stik70
    from midwest

30. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

Just keepin the thread alive with a 292 in my 46 chevy pickup...........
    [​IMG][/URL]