Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Sun Tune Up, Testers, Scopes, Analyzer, Distributor Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flathead Johnny, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Terranova

Terranova

2. oj

oj

Dunno about the batteries.
    But anybody ever put a magneto on thier 504? I want to but don't know if the drive is substantial enougth to spin the mag andif the output magneto voltage will hurt the machine? I connect to a sparkplug rack I added so you can see a distributor work.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  3. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

4. Terranova

Terranova

One of the battery recepticals is "D" sized but the other one is only half to a third the length of a D cell.

5. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

6. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

To add to that, they (sometimes) used odd sized odd voltage mercury batteries internally in their gear. These would be considered Hazmat. Not sure if that's the case here, but you've got to find a manual reprint somewhere, and a schematic, if you want to get into it much for repair and maintenance.

Oddball voltages are no problem, even though original type batteries may no longer be available virtually any value can be made up using individual AAAA cells or CR2032, etc, in parallel/series combinations.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
    Kan Kustom and loudbang like this.
  7. I found this DT-404 when I went to look at a shop press. The guy wanted stuff gone and I always wanted one of these. I plan to test my magneto on it soon. My buddy 3dnsouth has a machine that spins my magneto just fine, so it should be ok.

IMG_2369.JPG
    Surprised to see a vacuum tube in here. ;) Right now I just want to spin a mag and check for rev limits so the electronic parts are not priority, but I can update all the caps for good measure.
    IMG_2372.JPG

8. oj

oj

Let us know how it does. I am afraid of that drive mechanism, it takes a lot of power to spin a magneto and I am afraid of shredding it.
    The other thing I am worried about is the current/voltage path - I presume you'll have a sparkplug rack so the magneto will fire the plugs, right? In a magneto it'll fire thru the plug wire to ground on one cycle and then thru ground to the plug wire on the next as it is alternating current. I am afraid of cooking the electronics in the cabinet. Does you buddy have the zenon light operational too? or do you use a timing light?
    Decades ago I had my magnetos converted to external coil and the guy used a Sun machine to test it, I was too dumb to ask what he had done to the machine. I remember he tested it at 8K rpm and it made a hellish racket.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  9. Here is a pic from my build thread - Tim's machine isn't a Sun - I now notice that my Sun makes more noise that this machine. We did run with the spark plugs connected with a wire back to the case.

IMG_0621.jpg

Kan Kustom, oldgoaly and loudbang like this.
  10. oj

oj

Sweet, maybe I'll hook mine up and give it a try. Thanks. One thing I did, maybe there is a picture of it in this thread, I added a sprakplug rack to mine Sun. When I test a distr it thinks it is on the vehicle.

11. Yeah I saw where you did that - good idea. I need to build one for mine.

12. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

There's a fellow on that auction site with a Sun distributor machine not too far from me. He's pretty proud of it though, wants 1.9k for it, no idea if it's complete or operational. I think unless specifically restored it would need a fair amount of work to be usable.

14. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I'm on the lookout for 1 of them myself.

Dog_Patch likes this.
  15. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well they couldn't give them away for a while. Certainly there is some value, not much demand. Very low WAF I'd imagine.

16. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

I just got this, came with a bunch of other smaller test equipment. probably gonna sell it. sun2.JPG

Attached Files:

• sun1.JPG
      sun1.JPG
      File size:
      183.7 KB
      Views:
    • sun3.JPG
      sun3.JPG
      File size:
      171.8 KB
      Views:
    • sun4.JPG
      sun4.JPG
      File size:
      142.6 KB
      Views:
  17. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Anybody have a copy of the manual for this version of the Sun Model CB? Or a pointer link to a .pdf maybe?

It's pretty basic and all but am a little unclear on the carbon pile part of it, and enjoy reading vintage manuals. No BS. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1452642439.380433.jpg

18. Mounted the magneto and the spark plug rack :) it does seem to work, but there are 2 problems
    - the strobe is only showing 4 locations - plan to change all the old caps in the 404
    - the 3 jaw chuck can't grip the Hemi distributor shaft - need to come up with something here

19. loudbang

loudbang

Check it the old fashioned way. Grab a terminal on the wire and give it a crank... you will know soon enough which ones are not getting spark. :confused:

Dog_Patch likes this.
  20. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

My Allen Dist. machine is sitting on the same lower cabinet.

21. Silverplate

Silverplate

I picked up this Sun Tester today at an estate sale for three bills. Plugged it in and the gauges light, needles moved and screen analyzer lite up. Has timing light, exhaust analyzer, manuals and lots of cables.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Kan Kustom, cactus1, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  22. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

Hello,
    Can anyone help me? I need the dimensions of the DT504, for the shipping (from USA to Germany) without Cabinet and possibly approximate weight?
    I have one more question, can do the holder for the distributor, diminish, dismantle, (without big problems?) Characterized the package is substantially smaller. Sun DT 504.png

I would be very happy about an answer.....

Greetings from Germany
    Mike-Michael

23. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

Hello and sorry for my english,
    700 views and no one has an answer for me ?

Greetings from Germany
    Michel / Mike

24. The notifications for this thread didn't work. Here you go 17 inches deep 21 inches tall 21 inches wide. The posts can be removed with an Allen wrench. That height # assumes you remove the bars. If you unbolt the banner at the top, you can get it down to about 17 tall. Hope this helps!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Oldtimermichel likes this.
  25. Hey guys, anybody in the Buffalo, NY area interested in an old Allen distributor machine, drop me a line. I want to get rid of this one and it is yours for free, just need a slave to help you get it out of my basement. No shipping, come and get it! Contact Mike at [email protected].

P1000219.JPG P1000220.JPG P1000221.JPG P1000222.JPG

Dog_Patch, loudbang and slack like this.
  26. Oldtimermichel

Oldtimermichel
    from Germany

Hi Dog_Patch,
    Many thanks for your help....what do you think how much the tester without Cabinet weighs?so about?
    Thanks and Greetings from Germany

Mike/ Michel

27. Hi Mike,
    I only have a 404 tester and it seems like about 45lbs.
    Tony

28. jimr23

jimr23

Hello . I have a Sun 1020 and 100_3472.jpg I am looking for a Volt/Ohm Meter and A Dwell Meter for it.
    Option #2 would be someone that can repair my meters. they are sticking and not at all accurate.

29. aba1700

aba1700

Hello,

I'm new. And from the other side of the ocean (the Netherlands).

A small question. How about spareparts of a Sun 1215? In fact I need a certain board from the oscilloscope.
    Is it possibel to find something like taht here or can somebody help me?

Thank you in advance.

30. Happened across this today and have a question or 2. I picked up a Sun 1115 a couple of years ago, and finally got a manual the other day. I will post a picture when I am home.

But I was talking to a couple of guys here at work, and trying to remember the Sun machine I had on trial in the late 70s or early 80s. I had a Sun 1015 at the time and the Sun guy brought in a new "double trick" computerized Sun machine. It seems like it was a 2001 (like space oddisy), but I cannot find any pictures of one called that. Anyone know what it might have been? btw, I connected it up like my old machine and toasted one of the boards.

Thanks
    Doug