Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Cheap chop tops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickvalvenut, Dec 17, 2015.

1. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Cant seem to find or remember where I seen it. An old timer who does chop tops for cheap and even sells plans on how to for $200 with tech help over the phone if needed. I think hes from Kansas but not sure. If any one has a link to his web site would be great. His reason for cheap pricing is low overhead cost. I remember his website having a red background.

2. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you're thinking of a guy from Elmer, Missouri whose initials are K. B., I'd suggest you pass. A friend/ customer bought his package, the mostly- handwritten plans and his methods are very crude. There is some useful info there if you've never chopped a top before, but not two hundred bucks worth. Just my opinion...

3. cheap chop tops over the phone? 1-800-bad-gaps.

4. Lol

volvobrynk likes this.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The KB in Elmer, Missouri you are talking about has chopped more tops than any 100 of us put together. I'm sure you could learn plenty from any information he would be kind enough to share.

-Abone.

kidcampbell71 and buickvalvenut like this.
  6. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

I learned the hard way.

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

What's the number for hide the MIG mud? Bob

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Kenny Baker is the master and if you're truly up to the commitment and skill set to do your own chop, $200 is a relatively small investment to gain some tips from him. I would think of it as a seminar, where, like any seminar you come away from it with a few gold ideas and not be disillusioned into thinking it will turn your world around. You may pick up a couple of tips that save you $200 worth of your own frustration and labor.
    http://akathechopper.tripod.com/Index-2.html

Having said that. What car are you planning to chop? What is your level of welding and fabrication skill? If it's a straight forward Model A sedan, there's probably enough info on the net to get your tips. However, a more involved car with wrap around glass, etc may benefit greatly from the investment.

9. alchemy

alchemy

Any beginner to chopping tops should buy a copy of Tex Smith's book How to Chop Tops (or similar title).

62hotcat likes this.
  10. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

You think there would be an App for that by now. Lol

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  11. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Thats what I've heard. He's got more chops under his belt than all of us put together. I've also heard he does good work.
    Thanks

12. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I know nothing about this guy or the plans he sells, but, I myself, would get more out of a book or video. I'm a visual person though. Tech help on the phone is fine I guess, but it's hard to get someone to visualize the mess you've made and understand how to fix it over the phone. I mean it would be hard for me to pull that off with Gene Winfield and Bill Hines on the other end.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

It's not me that's interested, but a friend. He'll be taking Winfields class soon. He wants to get all the info from sources he can. Its a 50 ford he'll be chopping. Him and his father are also well known as master nailhead builders in crntral California. I told him about this gentleman who does and sells plans and that I'll find the site for him. Unfortunately I never did save it.

14. Custompainter99

Custompainter99
    from San Jose

take the Gene Winfield class put on by Alex Gambino....wealth of info..And...just so happens to be on this weekend!

15. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

That's almost as good as the drive thru chop shops where after you drive through once, you have to turn around so they can do the other side.

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Now that is where I'd spend my money!

17. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Thanks for the info. He's not new to chopping, has done a couple projects such a his current truck..but a full car will be his first. Cant blame him for trying to gather all the info he can before doing so.

18. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Hes taking it soon. But he also wants to gather intel from other sources.

19. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Let me know how it works for you..
    Get me a number one thru six while at it...coke easy ice

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  20. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Dont rely on any apps my self, none the less a smart phone. I rather stick to this smart human. They just dumb people

21. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Gene's workshops are worth the price of admission for the stories alone!

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  22. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

With everyone on the H.A.M.B. and everything that has been chopped with step by step directions, I would think that there is nothing more to add other than skill.

23. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

Sawzall - $120.00
    Mig welder - $500.00
    Skill - Priceless

kidcampbell71 and volvobrynk like this.
  24. Here is a link to Kenny's tri pod page it mentions the instructions. I was going to post the ad but decided that a link would be a better deal for everyone involved.

By the way I have known Kenny for probably 15 years give or take, and not only seen his work but watched him work. I never get around him that I don't pick up some new trick and I have been playing cars and motorcycles literally all my life.

http://chopperrodshop.tripod.com/chop/

25. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

I was just looking at his website. Honestly, given the quality of his work in his pictures, I'd spend the extra cash and have him do it. This is what his site says:
    "The average cost at my shop for chopping a top is: $2500.00 Yes thats right![References upon request]
    That is....
    Your Top chopped-
    Completely welded- interior garnish mouldings cut fitted, welded and welds ground down, doors fitted-
    aligned properly and preliminary rough-in bodywork done to the stage where final finish blocking begins.
    Includes a Primer/Guide/coat for shipping protection.....Turn-a-round time on a chopped top is on average 14 days."

26. raprap

raprap
    from Ohio

Well worth the $2,500! Especially on my 40 Coupe where there is not a straight lin on the car. Everything is a compound curve!

27. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

A guy around here did cheap top chops. People are still bitching about his work. Remember you get what you pay for.

28. I hate to sound like an advertisement, honestly I like Kenny, I only tolerate most people. so what I am going to say one should perhaps take with a grain of salt.

I am pretty adamant about doing everything for yourself and for the most part I do just that. That said if I had the cash on hand I would not give a second thought to hauling my A up to his shop and leaving it with him to get redone. Less headaches for me and I know that I would be satisfied with his work.

This is not to say that @luckythirteenagogo is not in the running fellas I have seen some of his work too, but Kenny is just up the road from me. :D

29. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Well as much as I appreciate the kind words, when my car gets to that point it may be headed his way. I'm still a top chopping virgin and I really don't want to cut my teeth on a 50 Chevy.

30. LOL
    I was giving a gentleman's chop to a '47 Chevy sedan a few years back and was talking to Kenny about it before I even started on it. I told him I was thinking 2" and he said that about 2" was the max without using a second roof and then he told me step by step how to do it. It saved me hours of thinking and cyphering.

I needed an old seat belt by the way or a cincher ( tie down?) strap. I had both and decided that the old seat belt was more traditional. :D