Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Disc brake conversion kits

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau9292, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Beau9292

Beau9292

Hi everyone, I have a question about a rear disc brake conversion that I want to do on my 49 Chevy Styleline Deluxe. I have a Ford 9" rear end that I'm using and I believe it is out of an early Bronco (66-77). I am looking up disc brake conversion kits but in the details there is a note that the kit does not fit truck axle housings. So I don't think I can use them with the 9" that I have. Does anyone know a disc brake kit that might work (that doesn't cost an arm and a leg) with the parts I already have? I just don't want to spend the money for something wrong if possible. Thanks for your help!

2. What bolt pattern do you have? The late model Lincoln uses big bearings so if you have 4 on 4.5 you should be able to source everything that you need from the U pull it.

3. BlownMerc

BlownMerc
    from Jerome

4. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

If it is out of a Bronco it will have a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern . Otherwise if it has a 5 on 4.5 it is most likely a fairlane or mustang unit. the big difference is going to be the axle housing end flanges where the axle bearings ride. There are the early small bearing , the large bearing, in the later 70's they came up with the "Torino style" also the F150 and Bronco's may have a larger bearing yet but I am not certain on that. Go to Currie's or Mozer's web sites. They have pictures and measurements to help you determine what you have. There are a number of good affordable kits out there but you need to know what rear end you have first. Good luck Larry

5. 40HeavyChevy

40HeavyChevy
    from US

As mentioned before, you'll need to determine which rear end you have first.

If you have a small-bearing rear end (28 spline axles) I'd recommend the disc conversion that utilizes junkyard '91-'95 Ford Crown Vic or Lincoln Town Car components. Parts are cheap and plentiful and can be found easily. There's a guy on eBay that sells a kit with the hardware and instructions needed to do the conversion, all you need to locate are the core parts like caliper mounts and calipers/rotors from a donor car. I'm just wrapping up this conversion on my 9" and I am very satisfied with the way that everything fits. Only minor modifications are needed on the axle flanges, see pics below:

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450361255.537169.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450361295.018748.jpg

Note: the mods can be reversed and put back to drums at a later date if desired.

6. Here is a kit sold by Jegs. Has every thing needed.

Will fit in 15" wheels
    Also will fit ends, with 1/2" and 3/8" bolt pattern's.
    Rotors are vented.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Right+Stuff/965/ZDCRDM1/10002/-1 $265 free shipping

If you have stagered shocks ( one in front of the housing and one behind ) Reverse one assembly of caliper brackets.
    [​IMG]

7. racer_dave

racer_dave

I'm in the process of doing this on my daughters off topic car. I used weld on brackets from Speedway, got the rear disc calipers there as well (late 80's caddy). Using 95 Explorer rotors. Used the caddy calipers because they have e-brake and the cable attachments was same as her car (77 mustang), speedway brackets are cheap and with weld on it doesn't matter what axle housing you have. Explorer rotors had the right BC 5 on 4.5 and offset to fit my axles. all told I had about $230 in it and $180 of that was the calipers because I didn't have cores.

8. Beau9292

Beau9292

Sorry, I forgot to mention in my first post but the rear end I have is just the axle housing. When I got it there was nothing with it other than the housing (no axles, gears, etc) and has all the brackets for suspension taken off of it also. The flange size is 3.5" x 2.00"

9. 55willys

55willys

If you are going to use Bronco axles with the 5x5-1/2" bolt circle. Then use 94'-96' F150/Bronco 4x4 front rotors and GM metric calipers with custom caliper bracket. I try to stay away from Speedway "China's oldest speed shop" The rotors are 1.02 thick same as GM