Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features I Have Old Car, Because It's An Old Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Robert J. Palmer, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I always have people asking, or more often telling me what I need to do to make my 1953Chevrolet more driveable or reliable.

Things ranging from electronic ingition, disc brakes, dual reservoir master cylinder, radial tires ect...

I want my car to act, and drive like an old car.

If I wanted a car the handled like a brand new Corvette, I would go to the Chevrolet dealer and buy a brand new Corvette!

I have owned my 53 for seven years it has a 261 Blueflame six rebuilt by myself and my father with period speed parts, dual points, dual exhaust, Isky C-4 cam, late fifties Corvette three speed and a 60 Chevrolet rear changed to leafs by my father and myself.

The car starts every time I get in, stops every time, and better than my daily driver even in a panic.

I have put 40,000 miles on the car in those seven years keep it mind that is summer only.

When I drive the car I go 50, 75 or 100 plus miles from home, I have driven from Upstate N.Y. to Englishtown N.J. about 200 miles.

The reason I drive the car is because if I do have trouble on the road I know I can fix it!

I did have to change a fuel pump along side the road to get home from a cruise in this fall (less the 20 miles from home). I always carry, tools, points, and a fuel pump.

To Quote Deron Wright "It should be a time machine"

Thank- You,

Robert J. Palmer.

My 53-

IMG_0395.JPG

Last edited: Dec 16, 2015
  2. yep, i hear that too. "ohh you need to start using the LS motors and get away from that old technology"
    i get so tired of arguing i just say "ok" then go about my business.

3. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

Yup I dig the car, and it's capability...

4. 55willys

55willys

Vintage works and being a time machine it can slow down the pace of life unlike the new cars that are all about insulating you from the experience.

5. Almost totally agree with you, but you're not driving in 1953 traffic so for my own peace of mind better brakes and lighting makes a lot of sense.

AHotRod likes this.
  6. LeoH

LeoH
    from Reno, NV

I've had to tell people, even folks who are old car drivers themselves, when I talk about rebuilding my '52 truck, "so you're a mechanic now?". NO. I have no illusion that I can wrench everything or repair anything, or honestly that I know much, just because I have 2 old vehicles. I know what I know about my 2 cars, and I'll know more about them as the years pass. That's ok. I can't learn it all at once and I'll likely never know all that I need to know about them, but there will always be the opportunity to learn something new when I do dive in to something on them.

I like the idea that I can learn how things work on my vehicles and that process. There's nothing inherently wrong about a new car; that you get in, push a button and drive away in it. Use that sense of inquiry and curiosity on something else practical though, if you don't use it on your new technology vehicle.

tinsled likes this.
  7. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Robert J., I looked at Your Profile Page just after reading Your thread. I must say that "I am Impressed !!!" At age 68 now, I understand Your Logic and I Commend You. For a Young Guy, You really have Your act together. It is also Good to see that You are definitely a Chevy Guy (6 included) That makes You a Care Taker and You have done well. The Chevy looks Great.
    At Your age, You have a grasp on the past. Stay True to Your Opinions........... Good Job and Thanks for Posting.
    Jeff

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  8. Thank-You very much, but most of the credit belongs to my Mother and Father.

I have never really related to most people my own age, the guys in my car club (Kingston Igniters EST 1956) being the exception (Mostly under 40 and like minded)

I like history, old cars, and music.

I don't want this tread to for off topic.

munga, Surfcityrocker and 55willys like this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

Wait, you should just change the.. just kidding.

clem and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  10. I am not big on the "fairgrounds type shows" however I always enjoy the fact the old cars with brand new technology to make them driveable, show up in enclosed trailers, and the car with old technology are driven.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
  11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think its great that you are keeping it all old school but as someone mentioned we do not have 1950s traffic any more so you will not kill the old car feel if you make some improvements in the future,I used to keep them mostly original but now that there are plenty of vehicles that weigh much less with 4 wheel disc brakes on the road these days so I do improve the brakes and make them more highway friendly and as you drive it more you will find out.

12. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

AMEN - R.J.P.

Enjoy.
    VR&C.

13. indyjps

indyjps

I like disc brakes, I live in the Chicago suburbs and want to keep my car intact. When I lived downstate, it was less of a concern.
    Replacement Carbs with readily available kits are nice as well.
    I agree too many updates and the car loses its quirks that make it fun to drive.

14. Sporty45

Sporty45

That is a beautiful car, I wouldn't change anything either. Some people just think they know what's best. :rolleyes:

munga likes this.
  15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I keep thinking I should put a Gen III in my truck...With a carb and a solid roller...

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. k9racer

k9racer

Nice car Robert. It what I would expect with your interest in old modified round track autos... So now post some photos of the mill..

17. 3030

The brakes will skid the tires I don't know what more a person needs but I do agree the rear lights were a little dim. People just can not see them good while texting on there phone.

LeoH, tinsled, Surfcityrocker and 3 others like this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I like your attitude.

btw the current issue of Hot Rod quotes me saying something similar

old tech.jpg

pat59, dan31, Model A John and 13 others like this.
  19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Good for you MR Palmer! I despise these damned electronic automobiles.I really prefer either of my old cars.They don't break much and if they do I can fix them.I currently own my first(and last) electronic automobile.Never again.Nice old Chev too!

20. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

I like this post alot,Manual steering,brakes,big steering wheels,points,carbs.All these things make an old car what it is supposed to feel like IMHO. All the other stuff has a place ,just not on mine.:D

tinsled, munga and Robert J. Palmer like this.
  21. whats a gen III?...............;)

22. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

the only thing that's stopping me is I cant figure out how to trigger the coil packs with a dual point...:rolleyes::p

55willys and tb33anda3rd like this.
  23. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

gotta keep the "Flame" alive

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  24. I bought this old gem a few years back out of a guys drive shed-I cleaned it up,tuned it up,added the wheels and tires and drove it-bone stock. Like you I had lots of 'opinions' offered to me of the direction I should take with the car-I couldn't do it-The car was not a hot rod-but it was a good car,and damn fun to drive-best of all it was cheap to buy,cheap to fix up,cheap to drive,cheap to own. It made me wonder how many folks who perhaps cant afford a high end car,miss out on the pleasure of owning and driving an old car because their pride won't let them ride around in something this simple
    jim 041 - Copy.JPG jim 050 - Copy.JPG

40ragtopdown, pat59, LeoH and 15 others like this.
  25. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

26. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

A.A. That's a Clean looking 6 you got in that More Door................................ Jeff

27. I wanted to go to Bonneville and then to the HAMB drags the following weekend and I wanted to drive my old 41 Pontiac.....took 2 weeks off work and left the car bone stock [239 flathead 6] except I switched it over to 12 volts. I totally HATE getting stuck with a car that won't start. Oh, and I replaced the 3.90 rear gear with 3.23s from a 56 Pontaic.
    I tossed a set of points,condenser, cap and rotor in the glove box, loaded it up and boogied!
    I replaced the ignition parts in the super 8 motel parking lot in Wendover when it began to get hard to start.
    It blubbered a little going over Wold Creek Pass in colorado....had a blast and everywhere I went people always asked "You really drove that car all the way from Omaha???" I told 'em it's just a fuckin car.....it's how all people got around in 1941 fer Christsakes.
    hamdragscoloradoscenery.jpg hamdragswolfcreekpass.jpg

Pinstriper40, LeoH, AHotRod and 8 others like this.
  28. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I believe that there's Church Rock, right outside of the road into the Canyonlands. Hwy 191? The road from Cisco into Moab is real scenic, too. Spent a lot of time pokin' around out there and didn't see half of it.

29. 55willys

55willys

I understand that feeling of being born in the wrong era. I always listened to music from the 50s and 60s when I was in junior high. I related to people who were much older than myself. Now guys my age (I will be 50 in March) are into muscle cars and Corvette's, just give me a cool old model A hot rod.

30. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Its funny how people, thinks that they need to help you fix, your unbroken car!

I change stuff I dont like about my car, but that dont mean that I feel no need to changed it for others.
    But if asked I speak my mind.

I like to change stuff like my old engines are made to leak oil, an small amount, but i made it more leak tigth so i can park in peoples driveway. the rear rope seal are made to drip between 2-5 times a minut.

stuff like that i change. And I still love my old-car-life!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.