Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1949 mercury leaf spring bushings???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by alteredpilot, Dec 16, 2015.

1. i'm trying to find a set of bushings for the front eyelets on the rear leaf springs on a 1949 mercury car. the shackle bushings have the same O.D., but the front pin requires a larger I.D.

I cant seem to find anything mercury specific for the fronts and all the bushing kits (including the one i have) have 12 of the same.

will the front pin from a '49 ford car work? i think it might be a smaller diameter shaft than the Merc and will fit into the bushings i have.

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Have you tried Fred Kanter in New Jersey?

3. Slopok

Slopok

Got a spring shop in your area?

4. If you browse the bay' at all,or have been looking at vendors offerings, Lincoln should be a direct fit. Ford might be a lil off......Might take a few calls.

5. Dirty Bird Clothing Co

Dirty Bird Clothing Co

6. NAPA used to have a spring bushing book....went by dimensions. I used it to get spring eye bushings for my 49 ford.

7. FrankenRodz

FrankenRodz

Eaton Detroit Spring .

8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Do you mean the rubber bushings? On my '51 all four are the same and I just checked Mac's website and the '49 also calls for 4 of the same bushings.

9. RICK R 44

RICK R 44

Post on the Ford Barn, there is a great wealth of old ford knowledge there. Some of the regulars there are old ford parts suppliers.

10. thanks for the replies.
    I talked to the guys at the old Ford Store in San Dimas and they were at a loss so i figgered someone in here might know. the guy i bought the springs from is sending me a set of ford pins which fit the bushings i have. we'll see how it goes.

11. Pilot
    you may look at a local spring shop they normally stock an assortment of bushings. or if you have a bushing that does not have a steel sleeve in it you can drill it out to accept the larger bolt.

I would not scale the pin down for two reasons, one is that the hole in the front spring parch is going to be the wrong size and the other is that merc sized the pin larger for a reason.

Oh don't tell them what the spring fits unless they ask just bring the spring and the pin in and tell them you need a bushing to fit. ;)

12. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I know the front pins on '51 Fords and Mercs are completely different in the size of the disc that fits in the mounting bracket. Ford's the size of quarter, Merc's half-dollar sized.

13. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Benno's right as rain. The closest spring shop I have to me ('reliable' spring shop!)
    That would be Moore's, in Stockton, right across from the fairgrounds.
    Very practical, Mr. Moore has 50+ years in the biz...always fair in price, also.

14. Thanks guys.
    I bought the springs local but they came from St. Louis Spring, so i called them and gave him the dimensions and he's sending me a set.