Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pictures of 1980's ISCA show car( 1934 Ford)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrap metal 48, Dec 15, 2015.

1. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

A guy I eat breakfast at McDonald's with just brought his 1980's show car home after sitting in a trailer in a storage lot since the late 80's... It did very well on the ISCA show circuit for a few years.. I thought you might get a kick out of seeing it in all it's 1980's garb.. He wants to repaint, reupholster and basically bring it into the present.. I told him To get it running and enjoy it as is... ***clic pic for larger image*** 100_3456.JPG 100_3455.JPG 100_3461.JPG 100_3462.JPG 100_3457.JPG

2. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Where did it come from. I remember seeing one in this configuration after being changed from a wire wheeled, flathead powered car. I see. it still has the wires on it. My dad and I noticed something was painted where the wine bottle and glass are now and the color red with pinstripes. Then he said, is this the car that used to say Flatheads forever in the same location. We talked to the owner a little bit about his car. When I opened up this thread, that was the car I was thinking of.

3. Looks like a nice car with many of the styling cues from the 80's still intact. Is that one of those clear distributor caps where you could watch the little arc from the points opening and closing? It would be a tough call, Milo, but I'm with you, clean it up and drive it. It would be nice to see the rose/ wine carafe thing go away though.:D

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. Reminds me of what my car used to look like back in the day, right down to the wire wheels, spare tire and metallic paint. I like it much better now that all that stuff is gone. Just not my style. If your friend still likes it, I wouldn't change it just for the sake of change.

5. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Wouldnt take to much to transform into a hamb friendly sedan.

timwhit likes this.
  6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

A compromise to a total repaint an upholstery job would be to change out the wheels/tires, headlights, etched rear window. Deep six the engine billet. Lose the horns, greyhound, spare, etc.

At least the build retained door hinges, chrome windshield frame and grille.

hipster and timwhit like this.
  7. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

I remember the car from about 1985ish. The owners name was Bob, but don't recall the last name. He told me that he did interior work. Don't believe it won anything better than a class championship for the Great Lakes division in ISCA.

p.s. Bob Baker.

scrap metal 48 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

hey, just make sure brakes, etc OK and drive it. as is would certainly grab attention - plus & minus. update may just make it fade away with so many similar builds.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Yes, his name is Bob and the car was built this way starting with just the body.. He too wants to at least get rid of the etched glass and wine bottle and roses.. Also get rid of the spare tire, horns and narrow the chromed rear end.. It did very well in competition( called " Wine & Roses ) and won many best of show and some times just best paint or interior.. Yes he is an upholsterer and did this interior.. He is kind of a story teller at breakfast but when I saw this I realized this story he told was true.. I'm glad for him that he finally got it back home and in his garage after all these years...

Stu D Baker and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Here's a few more pics.. Steering wheel and LED digital dash may have been popular in the 80's but doesn't do much for me today.. Wires are knock-off and interior is still in very good 80's condition... The candy brandy wine lacquer is chipping pretty bad but you can still tell it was a great paint job..***clic pic for larger image*** 100_3452.JPG 100_3453.JPG 100_3459.JPG 100_3460.JPG 100_3458.JPG

lothiandon1940 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. fadt

fadt
    from England

Have to say messing with that would be like putting make up on the Mona Lisa...
    your car your choice.

12. Like the color and carbs.

13. vert1940

vert1940

spent many hours cleaning the underside of that car....paint was exactly the same under the car as on top.Painter was a local celebrity that had many cars on the cover as well as inside Hot Rod magazine....Pat Crafton....Pat said he would never do a car like that ever again...meaning top and bottom.Bob Bakers main competition back then was Ron Barnums model A delivery,which he never could beat,and Chris Dixon,with the medicine bow motors car...I believe it was a 37-39 chevy sedan delivery

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I did not know Bob had a 34,the only old car I seen him drive was his 37.