Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Redondo Beach Drifters Car Club

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chattyts, Jun 3, 2009.

1. chattyts

chattyts

Cool, I love all the new info posted.

2. chattyts

chattyts

My mom is currently in the start of a remodel on her house and we cleaned out the garage last month. I was excited to find this buried on my dad's work bench, it's the top of a car trophy. Car Trophy top.jpg

AHotRod likes this.
  3. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

Thanks for the idea, but I don't know any other club members who are left to post about those days. My wife and I were visiting my son Rick and grandson Nick about a month ago and he had made a shadow box display of the November 1954 copy of Hot Rod Magazine showing the Millwinders and Drifters coupes sitting side by side at Paradise Mesa drag strip in San Diego, with the plate you show placed below the magazine. A nice display.

Last year I gave him my Maico 360 desert Motorcycle with the big tank that I had sitting in the garage, and he took it up to his other house by the Kern River in Bakersfield. On the way up there, he stopped at a Motorcycle dealer and shop to get some other parts and when he was finished he went out to the truck and there were about 8 guys standing around the truck looking at the Maico. He had to tell them it's whole history before he left. Fun.

I stop by here occasionally to see if there are new posts and was happy to see new ones including yours... Nes

4. Hello. My Grandfather was Glen Stokey. I might have some information. You can contact me if you like. [email protected]

5. chattyts

chattyts

Today I scanned a bunch of photo's I received from one of the members of the Drifters, Ed Martin and I thought I would share them here as well as my site on Facebook dedicated to the Drifters. I will attached the photos in a few post. First is an updated List of members

Attached Files:

HEMI32 likes this.
  6. chattyts

chattyts

50th Reunion Sept 1999

Attached Files:

HEMI32 likes this.
  7. chattyts

chattyts

Various photo's from 1948 or 1949, 1954 and also the Coupe being built

HEMI32 likes this.
  8. chattyts

chattyts

Various Magazine coverage

Attached Files:

HEMI32 likes this.
  9. chattyts

chattyts

HRM Club of the Month - 4 page article

HEMI32 likes this.
  10. chattyts

chattyts

The Boys meeting at Eat at Joes

Attached Files:

11. chattyts

chattyts

Glen Stokey one of the members being inducted into the Hall of Fame in Oct 2003. Enjoy all the new post and a very big Thank you to member Ed Martin for taking the time to mail me copies. Love the History of these boys.

HEMI32 likes this.
  12. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Tina,

Thanks so much for posting all these photos.

I found this one interesting as it looks like the Millwinders' red coupe (96) is sitting in the Drifters' garage, if that's where the picture was taken.

Capture96.JPG

13. chattyts

chattyts

Yes this is their garage but that is their car they build. That's the one I believe that was in the accident where the car was almost completely crushed. Luckily the driver was fine.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - Thanks for sharing

15. KKrod

KKrod

I had to look at this photo several times before I saw the no. 96 ford in the background.

16. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

Hi... I'm not too sure that isn't the Millwinders garage that Emil Wurn rented in the early fifties. The garage that King Coles mentioned in an earlier post awhile back on this thread. It was shared by both clubs for awhile... Nes Synadinos

17. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I'm not sure either. I was at the Drifters garage but don't remember what it looked like inside. The garage that Tina posted appears to be larger than I remember. Do you know where the Millwinders' garage was?

18. Nes Synadinos

Nes Synadinos

My mind is blank on that one too, although I believe it was on Catalina St, South of Emerald st about the middle of the block. Perhaps Albert Castillion would remember... Nes

19. jnaki

jnaki

hello,
    i believe this movie clip that i took back in 1960 at lions shows a drifters 34 coupe. it came from my collection of movies that i shot from 58 to 60 and another gassers movie in 64.
    jnaki

HEMI32 likes this.
  20. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

That is the Drifters coupe from Redondo Beach, CA.

21. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Do you know if he worked at a sports car shop on Torrance Blvd?

My uncle worked here and I found this old photo from there looking east up Opal St.
    Untitled-61.jpg

22. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Here is another photo I found of the two Drifter cars they took to OKC in 1958 ..... 101.jpg

23. CTopping

CTopping

My father is Harold Topping. Yes they do still meet at Joe's weekly, unfortunately there are only three of them left. Barry passed a couple years ago.

24. CTopping

CTopping

Tina my father was also part of this car club, found this blog last night while celebrating his 90th birthday!

25. CTopping

CTopping

You have so many wonderful photos of 32 my father has never seen before, my father is Harold Topping. WE found this blog last night while celebrating his 90th birthday...he was thrilled!

26. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Tell your dad I send Happy Birthday wishes from Lake Havasu City.

He did call me a couple of months ago and we had a nice talk.

27. jnaki

jnaki

Hey BN,
    A Glen Stokey once drove this FED at Lions. We all knew him as the Clay Smith guy, since he had a red FED with a woodpecker on the body. he was one of the top racers at the time. We were partial to Clay Smith sponsored racers as the CS Cams shop was several blocks from our house in the Westside of Long Beach. Is this perhaps the same Glen Stokey at Lions Dragstrip in Long Beach during the 1959-60 season? I recently found a clip of the same FED at Riverside Raceway against Tommy Ivo. Could it be one in the same person?

Thanks,
    Jnaki
    Also, in this screen shot from clip in the pits at Lions, it looks like a small child pops up next to the racing slick on the left side, in front of a guy in a brown leather jacket. Anyone know who it might be back in 59-60? upload_2017-2-19_17-13-14.png

28. CTopping

CTopping

Bill Topping

29. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Here is the movie clip on the red dragster of Glen Stokley.
    Jnaki

30. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

I recently found the negative for this photo and believe it was taken on Diamond just west of PCH near King Coles. I think we were getting ready to leave for OKC and the other Drifters' car is being towed by that 57 Ford Convertible. Maybe their garage was around the corner on Broadway .....
    OKCBound.jpg

51 mercules and HEMI32 like this.