Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Where to locate front crossmember - '29 A coupe, Nailhead, '32 Frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by natedeville, Dec 12, 2015.

1. I recently put down a deposit with a reputable frame builder who will be building a pinched '32 frame for my '29 coupe project. The frame builder and I discussed measurements for the engine and transmission, and talked about moving the front crossmember forward to get additional room for the long 425ci Nailhead. If I remember correctly, he said it's possible to push the front crossmember a maximum of 3" or so, at which point you are getting close to the area where the frame horns begin to slope down.
    My initial thought was that it would be good to get as much room as possible, as I would prefer not to cut up the firewall and loose legroom. I have begun to wonder though if a more conservative approach would allow enough room to squeeze the nailhead in without altering the proportions too much.

I am planning to run a full hood (lengthened with louvers from extra hood sides), but I am afraid that stretching the hood length too much could end up making the front of the car look awkward.

...so I really need to figure out how much room I would have with the crossmember in it's stock location, and would I be better off pushing the crossmember forward or clearancing the firewall (or a little of both).

Here's what some searching and measuring has come up with (please correct me if I am wrong!):
    - The original Model A wheelbase is 103.5"
    - A '32 has a wheelbase of 106"
    - The '29 has a hood length of 28.5" (which could be a good guestimate of space between the firewall and radiator)
    - I need roughly 32-33" from the firewall to the radiator to allow clearance for the engine including a fan in front and distributor in the rear.

With some rough calculation, pushing the front crossmember 2" might give me just enough room for the Nailhead without major modifications to the firewall.
    I would love to hear your thoughts/opinions and see any pictures if you have dealt with a similar combination.

Thanks!
    -Nate

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  2. Most guys don't seems ok mind a firewall cut. The 32 frame buys you about 3" over an A frame, so probably a firewall remodel is in order.
    You'll probably get a lot of opinions on this, but good choice in engines.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
  3. bchctybob

bchctybob

Mock it all up, stand back and look at it. That's the absolute best way to be sure you like it. Numbers and experience are great but you and your vision may not jive with the numbers or his experience. It costs more to make mid-course corrections than to pay to get it right the first time.

4. I would love to have all the parts together to mock up, but unfortunately the body is being stored at a friends house about and hour and a half from my tiny one car garage where I have the rest of the parts. The frame is being built about four hours away on a frame jig, and I would prefer to have the front crossmember installed so everything is straight and solid when I get it.
    It's been 15 years since I bought the coupe, and I really want to start building it soon. I wish I had a larger workspace and time to do the frame myself where I could mock everything up together and adjust until it's perfect, but we live in a tiny house with a tiny garage. I started a frame years ago and was not happy with what I was ending up with, so I have decided it's time to enlist some professional help.

Am I right in thinking that a '29 Model A body on a '32 frame (with the front x member in the stock location) has around 31" between the radiator and firewall?

5. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

If you can't mock it up find shit that other people have done and start asking questions.

Personally, a 28/29 already looks a bit "nosey" with a full hood on deuce rails. An extra 3" might look darn near tarded.

Attached Files:

6. Yes, el Scotto - I am looking for pictures and details of what other people have done. I agree with your thought that an extra 3" may look terrible... It may end up that I don't move the crossmember forward at all (requiring a firewall recess), but I am looking for insight before I make that decision.

7. Shop boy

Shop boy

My 401 nailhead with a stock distributor and stock front pulleys measures almost exactly 31" from the back of the distributor to the bolt heads on the front pulley.
    Yesterday, I mocked up a Walker radiator with a Cooling Components electric fan,(fan is 2 5/8" deep overall) and left 1 1/2" between fan and radiator. This arrangement allows me enough space, I think, to remove the electric fan and install a mechanical should I choose to go that route.
    (Today I hope confirm that.)
    Clearly that all totals up to 35 1/8" from engine side of front X-member to back side of the distributor.
    32 ASC rails, pinched for a 30/31 Model A coupe with a custom flat front X-member.
    My goal is to retain stock firewall. But I think that the lower portion will have to be cut to clear the bell housing for the Muncie.
    Maybe my measurements help answer your question?

8. 51box

51box
    from MA

This is exactly what I am building. 28 coupe, 32 rails & 425 nailhead. I am running a transdapt to Toploader which is short and not bulky so that helps. After measuring a bunch I ended up moving the crossmember forward 1.250. Body should be going on next month so I'll see how it all fits.

9. bchctybob

bchctybob

Nate, I built my '53 Stude and my '32 5w in my 1 car garage in Manhattan Beach, Ca, so that doesn't excuse fly with me. But the last couple of chassis I did I moved the front crossmember forward 1.5" just 'cause, and I figured that whatever additional room was needed would happen at the firewall. a 1.5" stretch isn't all that noticeable.

10. Thank you for the great info and calling me out on my whiney BS :)
    I wan't trying to say that a car can not be mocked up in a tiny garage... just that I don't have a space to store the body where it isn't taking up the space I need to work. I plan to get the frame home, get the suspension mounted adequately to support the car, then bring the body home to begin mocking up the body/engine/trans fitment.
    I think I will go with the front crossmember 1.5 inches forward of stock just to be safe.
    Thanks again for all the input!

11. pitman

pitman

The 'A' with Ford's 103-15/32" WB does get nose heavy in a hurry.
    Your dimension change may work, I'm more familiar w/the 30-31
    and the usual firewall-distributor shoehorn!

12. I think you will be happy with the extra real estate;)