Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Off dual quad question...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flynbrian48, Dec 10, 2015.

1. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Some of you know that a couple months ago I bought a '34 Ford roadster project car. My plan was to rebuild a 350 Chev TBI engine I have on hand as a 383 stroker, swap the 4l60 for 700R4 and disguise the whole thing as a 283. Faking something though really goes against my better nature, and I satisfied my conscience today by buying a very nice, mildly built 283 with a 350 Turbo already behind it from a guy who's replacing it in his '65 Chevelle with a blown LS (not that this matters one whit).

I have, and would like to use on the 283, which has a 650 Holley on and Edelbrock now, the early Offy dual quad intake and pair of new Edelbrock carbs I was going to use on the 383. Here's the question:

I don't know what cam is in this engine. I've heard it run, it's got a lope-y idle and, sounds nice and tight, no smoke, no blow by. I don't want to overwhelm the little 283. Would it possible to run just one carb, block the other off like people do with 3x2 intakes running just the center carb? The manifold has an open plenum.

Or, progressive linkage and worry about it if it turns out to be too much carb? One of the carbs I have is a 600, the other is a 500, which I got thinking two 600's would be too much for the 383. I had the 600 initially which I'd bought for my boat, and never used, that's why I have a mis-matched pair of carbs.

So, am I all wet, or will a high revving 283 be happy with those carbs?

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

run the existing manifold/carb set up until you see how everything working/running. can always change maifold later, when you get a matching 500 carb with progressive linkage.

3. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Progressive linkage is the answer!
    But as JJ said run the existing set up until you get a feel for the 283's power range.
    You don't have to open the second carb that much with the progressive linkage. I'm sure that you know that multiple carbs are not rated like a single carb for CFM the CFM goes down on a multi carb set up.
    KK

flynbrian48 likes this.
  4. 270dodge

270dodge
    from Ohio

First off the 700r4 and the 4l60 are the same transmission. The name was changed by GM somewhere around 1992 or so. Why not use a single 4? If you want the look of duel 4s and use the existing manifold just adapt and use 2 2barrels.

5. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Second off, the 700R4 and 4L60E I have are NOT the same, the 700R is mechanically controlled, the 4L60 is a paperweight (unless one is happy with 2nd and reverse only) without the PCM. If I want (and I do) "duel" 4's I'll run dual quads, and not 2 barrels. I'm not into fake... Thanks though...

6. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

That's what I was asking, I guess, in a round about way. Progressive linkage, with the 2ndry not opening until almost WOT makes sense. I really want the 2x4's, although it does run good now with the Holley... It's because, "Hot Rod", you know :) Photos, the trash-canned 350 with the Offy 2x4, and the sa-weet 283!

Attached Files:

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The 700R4 is the 4L60. GM renamed all of the transmissions to that nomenclature before the demise of the 700R4. Even the TH400 got renamed the 3L80.

Forward gears, arrangement (longitudinal/transverse), gross vehicle weight.

4L60, four forward gears, longitudinal, 6000lb GVW.

The 4L60E is the computer controlled one. No E, no electronics.

4L60E, four forward gears, longitudinal, 6000lb GVW, electronically controlled.

hipster likes this.
  8. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I've no idea who makes them but I have a 4l60e in my '01 dodge...215K on the clock & I'm on trans #3 , convertor #5[bad clutch] ,so they're by no means bullet proof.
    dave

9. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

For the sake of ending this argument, it IS a 4L60E hanging off the back of the 350 TBI engine. I've got 'em in 3 cars now, and I like them. I know the difference between the E and early non-electrically controlled ones, I don't really want to argue about a transmission I'm not going to use. I wanted a 700R4 (you can call it a 4L60) but I have a Mustang rear with somewhere around 2.90:1 gears, so I don't need 4th gear. My question was the carbs/intake, so lets stop ID'ing GM trans nomenclature. I don't know who put a GM trans in your Dodge...

10. rails32

rails32

first find another 500CFM carb.the rear carb should be the primary the front the secondary. go online to Corvette America and order a complete linkage kit for a 57 to 61 dual quad 283. the rear will open about 3/4 before the front. that's the way Chevy did it. you will have to adapt the linkage to the Edelbrock / AFB carbs. car will run about 55 before front carb starts to open under normal cruising. rember the carbs are vacuum secondary witch makes them self sizing to the load on the engine. I run a complete 283 270 hp dual quad motor with a power glide in 32 coupe,it runs great. if you keep your foot out of it it's not bad on gas

11. i made my own linkage, it is progressive. i made the linkage so carbs reached wide open throttle at the same time. this is a 301. factory chevy intake and carbs. runs great, actually has more power when carbs were run together. DSCF4269.JPG DSCF4203.JPG

flynbrian48 likes this.
  12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Your not into fake, but you will run two fours with one a fake? OK. I get it. Why don't you just use the primarys on the two fours and block off the secondarys? Should result in a more even charge for all the cylinders. And it's less Fake than a unused carburetor bolted on for show.

13. belair

belair

Chevy wasn't worried about overwhelming the 283 with daul quads. Why not find ones like they used and go with the recommended progressive linkage?

14. pitman

pitman

Run on the primaries of the rear carb...using the progressive setup.
    Your best 'gas-pedal' motion, would be to have substantial pedal travel,
    resulting in 'less' throttle plate movement. Don't bother w/the secondaries,
    it's easier if they are vac. operated. Jet/meter the primaries correctly for the engine.
    ( I used to wash the SBC cylinder walls, with the old AFB Carters.)

15. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

You're right Brian, nothing says Hot Rod like dual quads! Have them on my'32.
    Here's mine 061.JPG My '57 Pontiac has Tri Power! KK

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  16. dan griffin

dan griffin

The primary size is the same on 500 and 600 AFBs .Remove the link on the right side to the secondarys on the 600 and run it on the rear. This will give you 750 cfm. If the carbs are street carbs they should be jetted up .002- .004.

turboroadster likes this.
  17. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Thanks guys.
    That's what I want mine to look like! I guess I sounded kinda crabby, I think it's the drugs for the hip replacement ;-)

270dodge likes this.
  18. just rig carbs so only the 2 front barrels on each open up.

19. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I really like the look of 2 fours. Never had any; something to do with getting into tri powers.

Nothing IMHO screams hot rod more than mutiple carbs.

I think that the 283 will look and run great with the 2 fours.

20. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

I'm curious to see what you end up doing as I too have an old Offy dual quad (thanks to Pork n Beaner) that I want to put on the 327 in my 32 Coupe. I plan on getting a pair of new Edelbrock's as well. If you buy linkage, or make your own, be sure to post pics of what you come up with.

21. pdq67

pdq67

You might consider going to a big truck bone yard and checking out the old Ford F-600's and F-750's because they had 390 cfm Holley vacuum secondary carb's on them. I figure that a lot more Ford trucks used them but I don't know which?

I had one off each engine and a friend of mine's thieving step son stole them.

A pair of them should be dead-nuts right for a decently hopped up 283, imho...

pdq67

22. Sweet-T

Sweet-T

It will run fine with (2) 500's or 600's or 390's or 450's , you are running off of the rear primary 90% of the time, i have used dual carb setups on every engine i have ever owned, from 265's to strokers. I have never had one problem. Im not going to sit here and say its the best performance set up on the market, but it will give you a decent punch and look great at the shows. I say if that is what you want , start turning wrenches, you will be fine.

23. Sweet-T

Sweet-T

I have another new set up ready to go on a sbc 265
    c.i. with no performance worries at all..

Attached Files:

24. '56 150

'56 150

you could make the stock 2x4 chevy progressive. correct linkage.jpg linkage work. its available as a complete kit.

25. In my own personal experience with that intake and 600cfm Carter carbs is that you can NOT run progressive linkage.
    It is an open plenum intake not dual plane like Edelbrock or GM. It acts like the back carb is for 5,6, 7,8 cylinders and front carb works 1,2, 3,4 cylinders. 4 cylinders will be white plug lean on a progressive setup with the Offy intake.
    I've ran my car for 8 years with this setup and I'm a stickler on the tune. One engine was a mild 350 other engine a hotter 355 both with same style Offy intake and Carter competition carbs. Both engines ran one to one on linkage with just a metering rod change to fit the particular engine.
    You will be fine with the two 600s, they will only flow what the engine needs due to the weighted arm that works the secondaries. Like I said I have been running the carbs/intake for years on and off the track and like to think I've tuned my way to know what works and what doesn't.

26. Brian,
    On the 283 you definitely want to run progressive as has been suggested. if I was running miss matched I would run on the 500 and leave the big carb for my secondary, limit my linkage so that it doesn't come all the way open and then play with it opening it a little farther each run until it bogs then back it back down to where it doesn't. Use the rear carb for the primary.

if the Offy is a real early, like early '60s unit, it is going to have a very small plenum, and tight runners and it will be happier with 390-450 CFM carbs. Is it the intake with the 4 holes on each carb pad or open into the plenum? if it is the 4 hole carb pad you will need to check to make sure that the butterflies ever clear the holes. Something else to check is linkage clearance, some of the early offys needed a 3/8 spacer for linkage clearance unless you were running WCFBs. I may have some if I haven't given them to someone.

You understand all that correct? I know you do you have never proven to be lacking in the brain dept. but sometimes my mastery of the English language is lacking so if not let me know and I'll try and 'splain it differt. :D

By the way 283? Small journal no doubt unless of course you are sand bagging and it is really a 302. ;) Good choice my friend, one of my favorite small blocks.

27. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I remember Rich Hall had a 55 post car with a 270 horse 283. Factory dual quads and a 4 speed. That thing was very quick for a street driven car at the time. If you can just duplicate the stock 2-4 setup you should be gold.

tb33anda3rd likes this.