Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A frames ?????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sickiee32, Dec 11, 2015.

1. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

does anyone know if anyone makes these frames ?? A big Z'd frame would be nice with less need for body channeling ... I'm a big guy lol ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449869453.293242.jpg

2. I could Z a sticker for ya and I have a stocker that I am building for myself so if you were really set on a new one I guess I could use mine for a fixture and make you one in a pinch.

I think that there are plenty of fellas on here that are willing and capable maybe someone closer will hook you up or take the time to help you do your own. But if not I always here and almost always broke. ;)

Oh I meant to say that Zing is a good alternative to a mega channel especially if you are larger in stature.

hipster and sickiee32 like this.
  3. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

I'd like to know of a company that does it with all brand new frame parts ??? not to be a a-hole but i didn't want to go backyard frame build...I kinda wanted a company like so cal or similar ...

4. Back yard, lest see learned in my dad's speed shop starting before I can remember, building and racing for 45+ years. Yep I guess that's backyard.

Not offended at all by the way just being an ass because I can. Let's try and keep you on top there are some fellas on here that are manufacturing and would be more then glad to hook you up

5. glrbird

glrbird

DeLuxe 32 and ROCKER77 like this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

You need to talk to @bobbleed about his Aceholes frame. I'm sure it could be adjusted to whatever you want.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Another vote for Bob's ace hole frame.

8. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

I wasn't talking about you being backyard PORK N BEANER ....

9. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

I'd like the frame to be a 1932 frame pinched and Z'd for a model A body . Just want to channel the body enough to cover the frame rails

10. Mr cheater

Mr cheater

What's the sense of having a 32 frame of you are going to cover it up?

11. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Would it still be considered a backyard built frame if I moved it into the garage to get out of the rain?

12. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

LOOK !! not sure if some of you guys understand meaning of Backyard build !!! I'm all for building your own shit .... but when I'm doing a 100 mph in a hot rod with a proper hot rod engine in it ... I don't want to eat shit because of some poorly engineered POS frame !!!!
    I like a reputable company to manufacture it so I know they have done there homework .....
    Then you build the rest of it in your backyard ... garage ... out house ... wherever !!!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. Just enough? You realise that a deuce frame is 6 inches deep. That will eat up a lot of internal real estate. And you say you're a big guy?

You actually asked about Model A frames and I assumed you were wanting a car like the one you posted, which is a model A. Seems you actually want a deuce frame. My 2 cents is that for what you seem to want, a deuce frame is a complete waste. At least an A frame is only a 4" channel.

14. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

I've seen 32 rails that were notched were body sat which makes the depth about 4 inches
    voodoo Larry did it to his model a

15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

1: I'd still recommend talking to bob. He'll do you right and isn't some
    Huge corporation that could care less about you.

2: everybody knows Beaners no back yard builder. That shit happens in the driveway haha

16. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

I think bob acehole frame probably my best bet right now !!

volvobrynk and Tim like this.
  17. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Btt. Good thread. There's many opinions & extremes on amount of Z'd C'd & channeled. I'd personally be much more conservative than the extreme amount in original post picture.
    BUT, I'd be interested in bobbleed or boilingbrothers, or any other builder sharing photos & options of what they might be offering (prime thread invite for you guys selling rollers to enter advertisement)to get a guy started on safe, cool, roller/frame designs.

sickiee32 likes this.
  18. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

yeah just looking for some good ideas before I start !!

19. badshifter

badshifter

There is no difference between a 32 frame and a model a frame for the purpose of what you want to do with it. 32 frames are used more or less for the reveal which you will section, and hide the remains under the body. So to help you refine/define what you want, a 2x4 box tube frame, stretched and zzzed. You may want the 32 frame horns, but as low as you want you'll cut them off for the suicide front end. So again, defeating the 32 frame look/style.

pitman likes this.
  20. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

I work for a " company" ... Don't be fooled... I have seen work from backyarders second to none and people who own shops that shouldn't be allowed to own tools... A few were hamb sweethearts at one time too... I've fixed a lot of shit from supposed" pros"

yruhot, hipster, Paul B and 3 others like this.
  21. -Brent-

-Brent-

Bob posted on IG today he just got rails ready to go...

22. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

LOL... Were you ever a kid? (what did we do then? PUNT?)
    Don't wanna be an 'A-Hole'? Then don't.
    Be a 'good guy'... LOL

23. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Btw ... Any builder I respect backyard or "pro" wouldn't like the idea of the grill shell being 6" taller than the cowl ...
    Something like you have pictured I would do 2x4 tube tapered to look like model A front rails , then stacked on top of 2x3 behind firewall , and probably a 12" kickup in back, channel 2-3" ... Floor will be close to stock but the trans tunnel is going to be HUGE go with a small transmission , probably need auxiliary cooling via radiator in the trunk

No company is going to make a production frame like you have pictured because of scrub lines ... It's a liability night mare , if I did it ..... it would be signed off as " off road use only"

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  24. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Amen to that!

There is a lot of talented guys on here I would trust! There is a lot of talented shops that are full of hacks.

But a HAMB welder with a good welding machine is better then a third of all shops!

Try taking a look at ElPolaco's work, that man is a HAMB legend when it comes fabrication!
    There is a guy on here whom does heavy mining equiptment, and build a very nice frame, the I would put any motor on or go racing. Wait for link!
    Or look up Marty Strode on here, if I was closer I would hang around his shop to learn his tricks.

I'm a certified welder and a certified NDT Welding instructor, and I want to learn from those guys any day!!
    Over any shop i know off, even Jessie James or Chip Foose!

norms30a likes this.
  25. 55willys

55willys

I agree with the scrub line deal. I build all kinds of stuff both at my day job (Fosses Hot Rods and Cool Cars) and my own business (Highway 101 Rod and Custom). It is really cool looking to some (not me) to have your car an inch and a half off the ground. I can tell you that at speed if you lose a tire you could very well lose your life as you will have no directional control with the frame or whatever metal sliding on the pavement. One customer had a Chev pickup that was only a bit below the scrub line and he did over $5000 dollar's damage to it and nearly lost control of it when one of his front tires blew due to age even though it had few miles on it. If you want it done properly and safe I or some of the others mentioned can do it. It seems you want the insurance of a reputable company to build your car and you missed the biggest safety issue by wanting it toooo lowww. Call or pm me if you want it done right. I can get you to a safe low and looking cool.

volvobrynk likes this.
  26. 51box

51box
    from MA

Who

27. sickiee32

sickiee32
    from So Cal

Hey Volvo .... have you ever seen a west coast choppers frame up close that Jessie welded on ???
    nuff said lol

28. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

You say you don't want to be an ass and then state that if it's built in a backyard then it is automatically a POS built by someone who didn't do their research? Seems like you want to be an ass.......

29. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Nope never have, but the guy named his shop ASS, maybe by accident but still.

What was your point. I just told you I would choise one of the three other over him of Foose any day.

30. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

Ha ha ha ha,... Now good ol J. J. Is in the convo ........he wouldn't know "traditional " if it bit him in the face ... He worked for BOYD , he built billet choppers that were fuckin ugly

But hey ....if iron crosses , coil over shocks and spinning your car out on a flat tire are your thing ,... Cool man ... Lay frame.... shoot sparks.... Bad ass .... Go man go .....$"pay up sucker"$......... Ha ha ha ha JesseJames........ Haaaaa haaa

tb33anda3rd likes this.