Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Please help ID a motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anthony Vanderplow, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Question for the smart engine guys. My buddy had a motor yanked from his corvette. How can he tell if the motor is original or from another vehicle. V0201TJZ IS ENGRAVED ON 4 BLOT ENGINE. HELP N THANK YOU.

3. The message above is what he asked me. N what are your ideas. Thank you all

4. squirrel

squirrel

The T in the number sequence does mean truck...but aside from the number stamped on it, the 350 blocks like that from the 70s are pretty much all identical.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I would not get too caught up in 4-bolt versus 2-bolt mains. Unless you are planning on running at sustained high RPM, or with ballistics grade boost, 4-bolt mains are of little benefit.

What is more important is all of the other things inside of the engine, and the condition that they are in..

6. pdq67

pdq67

TJZ = 1973 350 truck, conventional cab, 155 hp, 4-barrel, C-10 to 2500.

It may have 4-bolt mains, and then again, it may not! You have to look!!

Hope this helps.

pdq67

7. The general rule regarding small-block Chevy engines is this:
    A. If the engine is still in the car, it is what it is.
    B. If the engine is Out of the car, it is a 'Vette engine.
    C. If said engine is out of the car, And on Craiglist, it's a Fuelie 'Vette engine with seven bolt mains.

Cosmo

volvobrynk, TailDrag and Tn. Trash like this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly.

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. If it is original to the car the numbers that are stamped on the pad will match the vin.

I am going to give this answer from a mechanics point of view and not a restorers point of view. the only thing that separates a corvette motor from a caprice motor is cam, intakes and heads. you can tell everyone that you are running a "Corvette" for bragging rights but once you have changed the cam shaft or bored it, it is not longer a "Corvette" motor it is just another SBC.

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. alchemy

alchemy

So you know the engine isn't original, so what. But look at it this way: Why would anyone want a used 80's SBC over a rebuilt 70's 350 SBC? Can't think of a single reason.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

some smart engine guys do a online search for answers to some questions - for some that is too difficult to do and just jump on here.

12. squirrel

squirrel

He did the search already, he knew it was likely a truck engine, he was just checking to make sure he was reading the numbers right.

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. No it wasn't that I jumped on here cause of the knowledge of the people on here so thanks for your crappy opinion. I wanted to learn that's why I jumped on here to ask n learn but ty

14. Exactly thank you

15. Thank you all for the knowledge I've learned. Thank you for taking time out of your day to help me those that gave me sound advice it was greatly appreciated. God bless and happy holidays to you all.

kidcampbell71 likes this.