Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Th400 auto problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Superdad51, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Superdad51

Superdad51

I have an automatic th400. It shifts to R but in N and D the wheels roll foreward on jackstands but I can stop them with my foot and they don't speed up with acceleration. On the ground, wont move the truck. It was rebuilt and has zero miles on it but sat for about 4 yrs during truck restoration.
    Any ideas?

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stupid suggestion so if you shoot the messenger, aim high, but you sure it is full of fluid? If they are 2 quarts low they wont shift when they're cold...3 quarts low they don't shift when they're hot.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

stuck valves in the valve body...., seals/ o rings not sealing adequately resulting in too low pressure to apply clutch packs, low on fluid ???????? check the last one first.

Ray

4. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Converter is full?? Sounds like a "no" to me.

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Sat a while, and then the lip seals can get hard. Trans at temperature? If not, stick a heat lamp under it for a day, and toss a can of Trans-Medic or similar into it to help soften the seals. That will tell you if it's seals, and is usually only a temporary fix. If that does't do it, it has to come out, and be torn down. This is assuming you have everything else covered, ie vacuum line to modulator, fluid level correct, shifter adjusted, etc. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

6. Superdad51

Superdad51

Not a stupid question. I am the one asking for help. But yes it is full. 13 qts.