Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Drag cars in motion.......picture thread.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Dec 12, 2007.

1. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

2. tommyd likes this.
  3. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

U-G-L-Y !

4. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

5. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

6. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

7. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

8. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

9. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Hmmmm..........................................I wonder what class this car was in. Modified sports, Funny Car, Dragster? Anyone out there that could fill us in on this car?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  10. Yes, there was. Featured in an article, and on the cover, was bigger. Being the only car on the cover, is a very, very rare honor. ;)

11. Yes it was! Still is. Quite an achievement that nobody can take away!
    I plan on scanning your article from, I think, Pop Rod?
    Both you and Don are the REAL THING, not internet cowboys!

Bowtie Coupe, loudbang and 296ardun like this.
  12. 296ardun

296ardun

There were almost no street roadsters in '65 that were capable of competitive drag times and streetable at the same time...and, having been fortunate enough to have sat in Dean's roadster when he visited Pasadena, the craftsmanship was state of the art, for both then and now...so I was not surprised to see it on the HRM cover, but it very much deserved to be there.

Don's gasser showed the same quality of workmanship, just look at the details...and over 140 on nitro (something I never knew he did!) is amazing!...we are all better off for both of them being regular contributors to this thread!!

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I know it's a repeat, but I always liked Hugh Tuckers Chevy roadster.
    A little before my time, so never actually saw it run, but I did see it restored some years back at the So. Cal Speed Shop open house.

[​IMG]

14. jivin jer

jivin jer

15. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

This car was a loop hole car for sure. It had front drum brakes, but nothing inside for shoes or linkage. Don long said the rules said it had to have brakes, but didn't say they had to work. It also ran aircraft Naugahyde for the interior because it was lighter. It also only had one bolt on the front motor mounts, because he said the torque from the engine would hold the other one in place. I Never figured out how this car ran in the Gas class though, the wheels are obviously moved ahead under the body.

296ardun and loudbang like this.
  16. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

Kind of looks like the whole body is moved back. Check out the front fenders.

17. noboD

noboD

Sounds like we are going to have to send you guys to a time out! Let's agree we all like the same thing in different ways and move on.

18. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Dave

You just cant believe all that stuff they put in the Magazines, as I did run the gasser on a load of 90% nitro and went 120 and clicked it off early for a plug check not to hurt any parts

So they just put that speed in the Hot Rod story as running on fuel with a gasser was starting to be the thing to do for match racing, and the strip manager would slip you a few bucks for putting on a little show

After looking at the plugs and changing the jet I went to start it up, and forgot to back off the engine and when I hit the on switch it had too much fuel in one hole and broke a rod

Well I thought the heck with this stuff, sold the Enderle injectors bought a new larger Hilborn and went back to running on gas then set a record at Irwindale of 121.80 in 66'

That fuel stuff was too rich for my blood $4.25 a gal instead of 30 cents for the gasoline

DND

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  19. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

20. Gabe Fernando

Gabe Fernando

21. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Sure would like to know more about this one, When I saw it in the mid 70's it was a street rod at the NSRA East coast nats in Timonium MD. Hey Rich can you add anything here. Guy that drove it in was named Vance. Seems by the lettering the car came out of Arkansas.

Pat

50John likes this.
  22. 296ardun

296ardun

Yes, Don Long found all kinds of ways to bend rules...which said that the car had to have shock absorbers, didn't say that they had to work...so Don went to a junk yard, found a pair of worn out shocks and put them on the car...that way he thought the front would lift higher on takeoff...problem was that the article in Hot Rod Magazine detailing the build had all the loops in it, so, if I remember right, NHRA did not allow the car to run when it was first finished...

Bowtie Coupe and II FUNNY like this.
  23. SixtiesStyle

SixtiesStyle

Joe Aed in the Mopar vs Virgil Cates Willys in the C/A class at Indy, 1965.

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  24. From the June 1965 Popular Hot Rodding. I don't have the Hot Rod Magazine that featured Dean Lowes
    Amazing roadster! Another fantastic car from a HAMB'er in 1965!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mark Hinds, Airpig, Dean Lowe and 9 others like this.
  25. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

26. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

27. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

28. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

29. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

30. II FUNNY

II FUNNY