Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The Astorian 55 Chev

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moriarity, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Sweet. That looks good man.

Moriarity likes this.
  2. Looks great Mark!!!

Moriarity likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449240550.672973.jpg

Here is a shot from an old magazine article. I think I can almost convince myself that the bezels are ribbed??

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449240657.538979.jpg

oliver westlund, dana barlow and Tuck like this.
  4. fatty mcguire

fatty mcguire

I dont think it's looks bad, but it doesnt looked ribbed in my opinion in the old pic, too me it just looks like pixels in the low quality picture give it that look that its ribbed, even where the paint is reflecting has the same look as the bezel, again in my opinion

oliver westlund likes this.
  5. 31Apickup

31Apickup

It looks a whole lot better than the tinted covers.

62hotcat likes this.
  6. I think in the old pic they could either looked ribbed or maybe even waffle?

Moriarity likes this.
  7. Squablow

Squablow

The blown up old picture to me looks like the inserts were just cut out of a flat plate, maybe they just made them. But it's too hard to say judging by that one picture. I like what you've got now, I'd stick with that unless you ever find out definitively what the originals were.

Moriarity likes this.
  8. Tuck

Tuck
    Tech Editor
    from MINNESOTA
    1. Early Hemi Tech

I was thinking the same thing- just flat aluminum stock?

62hotcat likes this.
  9. Looking at that zoomed in old photo, especially at the lower left side of the upper headlight, do they have a lip or raised edge around them?

10. AstorianHL_detail.jpg

I thought perhaps a closer look might help - even though these are less than ideal images and having no access to negs/prints (yet!).

I does appear as thought there is a roll or bead around the perimeter of the "plate" and very, very subtle if any "ribs" (B&W photo). It looks too as though the lamps themselves are mounted in the canted position which has me wondering if the original units were vertical on the donor? It also seems that perhaps two styles of mounting fastener were used - a "dome" and "socket?".

Having said all that - the units you've used look good in there Mark!

Dave

oliver westlund and Moriarity like this.
  11. Cincinnati Slim

Cincinnati Slim
    from Cincy, OH

I might sound like Mr. Obvious and it might a long shot, but if you could find a part number on the headlight buckets, then perhaps that would lead to what car the bezels came from? Assuming they might have used both parts.
    Awesome find, can't wait to see it next year at the revival.

Moriarity likes this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I thought I was looking for oem bezels at first until I made a tagboard template to take to the junkyard last weekend. you would think that I could have just flipped it and fit it in the other side. It didn't fit, the drivers side opening is about 1/4 inch shorter top to bottom and 3/16 narrower. that is what led me to believe that either it was home made or trimmed down from a factory unit. the 58 dodge that I used were the only ones I found that had the proper spacing between the 2 lights

13. Mark, I looked at a 61 Tbird at the shop today....I really do think it's what your looking for. I can take measurements and send ya close up pics if ya want

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

saw one at the junkyard and the lights are spaced too far apart. thanks though

Peanut 1959 and dana barlow like this.
  15. Congratulations Mark! It couldn't have found a better home......Centurion9

Moriarity likes this.
  16. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

How about a 61 Chrysler 300? I was watching a re-run of the BJ auction, and they had one on there. The ribs looked similar, only finer. It didn't have the 2 outside mounting points though. Given the time frame of the build, and their factory "canted" position, they could have been an option.

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

looked at those too, the headlights are set too far apart

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice car from "home", and done during my favorite time period too. I also think they were ribbed inserts. Plain flat stock would appear as an after though IMHO. The ribs also give continuity to the design or intent. I actually like that they're off a bit in size. No matter the fame or expertise, these guys who did this (all of em, not just the A bros) were human beings and had a shop to run, margins to maintain in cash flow and timing. They weren't gods after all, just all-in car folk like us. It's a touch of humanity not often recognized as such. Even the best of Detroit and the most fabled coachbuilders missed fractional precision by sometimes more that this one. The vaunted (and also O/T) 'Cuda of 70-1, the right wheel opening is 3/4" bigger at the bottom than the left. The rear wheel openings on F body cars from 69 thru 73 are off 3/8" from left to right. And wasn't it the late Von Dutch who told the angry biker "...you can't see both sides at the same time...", or something along those lines? Exponentially more soul than the CAD designed shit we're sold today. As was said, it's in good hands now. Props to you bud...

Sancho, Moriarity and 62hotcat like this.
  19. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

It went the perfect home........ I can only dream of how cool the "Atomic Yard Master" would look on a matching little trailer in tow to an event! Congrats! Flux ...... :rolleyes:

Moriarity likes this.
  20. flathead-tex

flathead-tex
    from michigan

Look real close to 58 Packard .

21. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

Just went to the shop, modified 1958 chevy? One picture looks like a 58 bevel cut down, the hunt goes on!! I met the Alexander Bros. In 1965. Nice young men. Don in Indiana

22. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

I believe they are Buick one year came with grid another with ribs .i have asset of ribs I think they are 58.

23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Can you post a pic of them here and measure the distance dividing the 2 lights?

24. 'Mo

'Mo

Moriarity,
    Bless you for sharing. Amen.

Moriarity likes this.
  25. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I was just about to post this. Here, take a look.

And one other thing. I've heard rumors that these cars were so rushed that parts are not symmetrical from side to side.

Just a thought.

Attached Files:

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Just received these photos taken at a show in Madison Wi in 1968

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450735966.594541.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450735997.692682.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450736028.792081.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450736038.725620.jpg

27. ^ I swear I have only seen those wheels on Alexander Brothers' cars. :D

Moriarity likes this.
  28. Hopefully the white telephone is still hanging from the dash like in the 1968 show pix!

Mark - This weekend I found a NOS chrome Briggs and Stratton cover.
    Now I have to build at least a sub atomic yard master. Damn you!

Moriarity likes this.
  29. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The phone was missing, I put a chrome one in it ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450738680.304513.jpg

Good luck on your lawnmower project, here's a photo for motivation ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450738755.819194.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1450738785.805737.jpg

30. 58Pontiac04-vi.jpg

Dave Cook custom.