Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

The Rodder's Journal 1932 Roadster For Sale. Brizio Built Hot Rod. Real Ford.

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by SakowskiMotors, Feb 13, 2015.

1. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

City: Los Angeles

State: California
    Price: 149,995
    The Rodder's Journal Roadster.

1932 Ford Roadster. Built by Roy Brizio Street Rods. Owned by Steve Coonan, Founder and Publisher of The Rodder's Journal.

This roadster will be featured in the issue of The Rodder’s Journal now in production. The Rodder's Journal is the world’s leading publication dedicated to traditional hot rod and custom cars and features the very best in automotive photography, writing and design.

[​IMG]
    Brought to you by:
    SAKOWSKI MOTORS AND RIDE FREE MOTORCYCLE AND CLASSIC CAR TOURS AND RENTALS USA
    Repair-Build-Buy-Sell / Hot Rods-Classics-Customs / Los Angeles, CA

phone: [​IMG](310)978-9558 Los Angeles, California. Next to the LAX Airport.

PICTURES BELOW

History - 55 Pictures Below

By Steve Coonan

I got this roadster approximately 7 years ago, not long after we started referring to it as the “Rodder’s Journal Roadster". It was originally built for Rich Dederian by Brizio Street Rods back in the late 1990s. Rich has been a hot rodder since the 1950s and even had a flathead-powered channeled Deuce roadster in one of Petersen’s Trend one-shot books back in the ‘50s. He had known Roy for years since both of them are from Northern California.

Rich sent Roy a nice original ’32 roadster body and had him build the Deuce highboy of his dreams. It was featured in the August 2000 issue of Street Rodder Magazine. He had only put about 7000 miles on it when I acquired it. I loved the car, but wanted to change a few things to make it more of my own. My favorite ’32 highboys have always been the Tom McMullen, Gary Kessler and Barry Lobeck roadsters. My goal was to give this car the same flavor, but with straight black paint.

I owned the Lobeck Roadster from 1980 until the early 1990s when I sold it in preparation for starting The Rodder’s Journal. My goal with the roadster I now have was to retain all of the great driving characteristics that Brizio cars are well known for while giving it as much of the McMullen/Kessler/Lobeck-style look as possible.

The first year I had it, I added the rear frame horns a stock-style gas tank and a new full-length grille shell and insert. This work was done at Brizio Street Rods. I also changed the exhaust system, and made a bunch of other small changes to change the aesthetics to more my taste and make the car as suitable as possible for both long-distance rod runs and around town cruising.

More recently the 9-inch Ford rear and coilovers have been removed and replaced with a Model A crossmember, Model A spring and a Winters V8 quickchange with the early Ford style bells. California Street Rods in Huntington Beach, California, performed this work. This year the top end of the engine has also been updated. Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads were installed along with a new Edelbrock Performer RPM intake. I have also tried to backdate the appearance of the engine to give it a mid-to-late ’60s’ vibe. I have always loved the idea of having a Deuce highboy with a muscle car type drivetrain. I like the look, feel and performance of the era. Moon finned-aluminum valve covers and a GM hi-po-style air cleaner were installed with this in mind.

This year I have also had Sid Chavers custom fit one of his new Bop-Tops. I love driving the car without a top, but I do like the extra protection from the sun and rain. The new top proved to be worth its weight in gold in a recent trip to Texas for the Lonestar Roundup. I chose an off-white color, since I though it contrasts nicely with the black paint and polished wheels and contributed to the 1960s vibe. I chose a removable rear window, which does improve ventilation and visibility, particularly on long trips. I also feel the removable rear window gives a more retro vibe to the look of the top.

I am fortunate to have many friends in the business who have helped me with the car. Guys like Roy Brizio, Chuck Lombardo Jr., Sid Chavers have helped me make this car the roadster I’ve always dreamed of. I take pride in doing as much of the mechanical work as possible, but having these guys along with people like Ryan Reed and the crew at Dave’s Perfection Automotive in Austin, Texas, and many others who have lent a hand when needed has enabled me to tinker with my own car while still retaining the quality of a first-class professional build.

I always liked the idea that Tom McMullen was always changing his roadster. I tried to do the same with the TRJ Roadster. I have had a vision in mind and have worked towards it. And with the help of friends have been able enjoy both the building and driving aspects of owning a roadster.

I have enjoyed driving the car in and around the San Francisco Bay area where we are located. But, most of the enjoyment and most of the miles have been on long distance road trips. I drove the car to the Street Rod Nationals in Louisville, Kentucky, in both 2007 and 2008. In 2008 we flat towed the chassis for Geoff Miles’ ’29 highboy behind my roadster. The story of these road trips appeared in TRJ #39 & 42. I have also made countless trips to Southern California. Displayed the car in the Grand National Roadster Show (where it won the prestigious L.A. Deuce award presented by the L.A. Roadsters as their idea of a street driven Deuce. This may have something to do with driving 400 miles to Pomona in freezing rain and snow).

At last year’s Hot Rod Reunion at Bakersfield I was asked to transport Hall of Fame inductee Larry Dixon Sr. down the famed Famoso quarter-mile during the Hall of Fame parade. This year I drove it to Austin, Texas, for the Lonestar Roundup and most recently I participated in the 50th L.A. Roadsters Show. A few years back it was presented the Bruce “Deuce” Olson Memorial Award at the GoodGuys West Coast Nats by Gary Meadors.

I sold the Lobeck roadster after a dozen years or so of ownership with the idea of starting The Rodder’s Journal. Now I find my self in a similar circumstance. The magazine business is changing fast and I see plenty of new opportunities for The Rodder’s Journal. To take full advantage of these opportunities while doing my best to avoid potential pitfalls, I feel I need some extra cash on hand that the sale of the TRJ Roadster will provide. This is the only reason that I am selling this car.

I have spent considerable time determining the car’s value. I talked with Roy Brizio and he estimates that the car as it now sits would cost more than $250,000 to be built in his shop. This figure would be with a reproduction body and a crate engine. I feel that all of the first rate hi-po parts in the 406-inch smallblock Chevy engine adds some value, but I think in reality adds more in terms of driving fun. I do think that the original Henry Ford body does add significant value. I also believe that the fact that this car has been The Rodder’s Journal roadster from the mid-‘90s through our 20th Anniversary adds provenance. The fact that it is original bodied car built by Brizio Street Rods certainly doesn’t hurt the value. I believe that the triple threat provenance of being an original Ford-bodied roadster built into a first rate street driven hot by Roy Brizio Street Rods and that it is the Rodder’s Journal Roadster makes this one of the few hot rods with this type of lineage that is capable of cross-country rod run tours and impressive stop light to stop light performance.

I believe that all of these factors make for a unique opportunity in terms of a truly collectible traditional hot rod. I have priced this car at $165,000, which is $100,00 to $150,000 less than a similar car would now cost to have built… and it would have none of the provenance.

The Rodder’s Journal Roadster has received significant magazine coverage in The Rodder’s Journal and other magazines. (Street Rodder publisher Brian Brenan even road with me to the Street Rod Nationals one year.) But, the car has never received a full feature in TRJ. We wanted to wait until we got the quickchange and Model A spring in place and gave the engine the right look before doing so. We plan to do a full feature with the new owner mentioned prominently in the article and even pictured in the driving shots, etc.

This is a once and a lifetime opportunity and a bargain in in the collector car world. It is the perfect car to round out any world-class collection.

Specs - 55 Pictures Below

Car originally built by Roy Brizio Street Rods

Clear California title, Currently registered

Body

1932 Ford roadster

Original steel Ford body

Windshield chopped three-inches

Custom three-piece aluminum hood by Jack Hagemann

Hood side panels louvered

Original 1932 Ford firewall

Vintique grille shell

Dan Fink custom grille-insert with stock style ’32 crankhole

King Bee seven–inch headlights

’39 Ford taillights

Stock-style ’32 Ford gas tank

’32 Ford roadster dash, with Stewart-Warner-style 5-gauge instrument panel with engine-turned insert

Classic Instruments custom Rodder’s Journal gauges

Classic Instruments electronic speedometer

Sid Chavers Bop Top in off white with removable rear window

Paint

DuPont Black urethane paint

Paint by Mickey Galloway

Chassis

Roy Brizio Street Rods chassis

Based on reproduction ’32 rails with 108-inch wheelbase, two-inches over stock

Brizio round tube center crossmembers

Model A-style front crossmember

Model A-style rear crossmember

Stainless spreader bars front and rear

Front Suspension

Complete front suspension chromed

Super Bell 4-inch dropped I-beam axle

Durant Mono-leaf front spring

Super Bell spindles

Super Bell disk brakes

Pete & Jake’s tube shocks

Pete & Jake’s hairpins

Brizio Panhard rod

Pete & Jake’s Vega-style steering box

Rear Suspension

Posies Model A rear spring

Winters V8 quickchange, polished

Winters Early Ford-style axle bells

Pete & Jake’s ladder bars, chrome

Pete & Jake’s tube shocks, chrome

Johnson’s Hot Rod Parts splined sprint car-style sway bar

Custom Panhard rod

Ford Racing 11-inch drum brakes

Engine

406-cid smallblock Chevy engine

400-inch Chevy block bored .030-inch over

4340 forged steel crankshaft

Manley 5.7-inch H-beam connecting rods

JE forged pistons

9.8:1 compression ratio

CompCams 280HR Magnum hydraulic-roller camshaft

CompCams hydraulic-roller valvetrain

CompCams roller rockers

ARP Polylocks

Edelbrock Performer RPM aluminum heads, polished

Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold, polished

Holley 670cfm Street Avenger dual-feed carburetor

Super-Sucker 1-inch tapered carb spacer

MSD Pro-Billet ignition

MSD-6 electronic ignition box

MSD 8mm ignition wires

Sanderson full-length headers

Sanderson complete custom exhaust system

Flowmaster Mufflers

Headers and exhaust system ceramic coated

Powermaster starter

Vintage Air 16-inch electric fan

Walker radiator

Professional Products harmonic balancer

Large capacity aftermarket oil pan

Moon finned-aluminum valve covers-polished

OPG Chevy Hi-Po open element air cleaner

Transmission

Borg Warner T56 6-speed transmission

Centerforce clutch

Hurst shifter

Interior

Complete Sid Chavers interior and trunk upholstery

Roll and pleat upholstery done in black Mercedes leatherette

Dark Grey Mercedes-weave carpet

Mullins aluminum steering column and drop, polished

Bell 3-spoke steering wheel

Wheels and Tires

two complete sets of wheels and tires included 
A 3rd set of ET III wheels with new Firestone dirt-trackers is now being added

Long distance driving set

Front

15x5-inch American Racing aluminum 5-spoke Torque Thrust wheels, polished

Michelin XZX 165-15-inch radial tires

Rear

16x10-inch ET-III aluminum 5-spokes, polished

Michelin 275-70/15-inch radial tires

Around town and car show set

Front

15x4-inch ET-III aluminum 5-spokes, fully polished

Michelin XZX 145-15-inch radial tires

Rear

16x10-inch ET-III aluminum 5-spokes, polished

12.00-16-inch New M&H 1967-style slicks

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    bowie and Shamus like this.
  2. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

5 set of wheels and tires to choose from. Choose 1

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  3. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

4. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

5. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

$149,995 It would cost more than this to build it with all the components, work, and body. Consider the near perfect original real 32 Ford deuce roadster body it started with. And you can't touch a Brizio Built Roadster to be done for you with an aftermarket body for anywhere near this price. Help support The Rodder's Journal!

6. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors