Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ford 302 Ignition Selection opinions welcome.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 65fordguy, Dec 7, 2015.

?
  1. Stock 70s rebuilt distributor with Peronix Ignitor III and Matching Coil

30.0%
  2. Stock Duraspark Rebuilt

50.0%
  3. Performance Distributor DUI Duraspark custom curved Dist and their Ignition Box and Coil

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ready to Run from Summit and Iron Gear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Ready to Run from Jegs and Iron Gear

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ready to Run from Pertronix Ignitor III and Iron Gear

20.0%
  7. Pro Billet or whatever triggering a MSD Street Fire Ignition Box.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Hey guys, Im redoing a lot of things on my truck and I had a GM HEI distributor that I have sold on.. I am wanting to go to a smaller cap distributor.. Here lies my challenge here. . there are a hundred and one choices. Here goes some things that Im considering.

The Motor is a Flat Tappet... and I was told by the Cam manufacturer to not use a steel gear regardless of what the box house says.

So. the options are

>Stock early 70s points rebuilt distributor.. ( cardone? ) put in a Pertronix ignitor III and matching coil.
    >Stock Duraspark setup from a mid 70s early 80s mustang? likely would by remanufactured parts from Rock auto?
    > Performance Distributor DUI Duraspark custom curved Duraspark dist. and their mopar like ign box and coil
    > A Ready to Run distributor from Summit, JEGS, Pertronix, can't really afford the MSD.. all of these have a STEEL gear... so I'd have to put on an IRON gear but im told this would likely void warranty.
    > or a Summit.. JEGS.. pro billet style trigger dist. and the MSD Street Fire Ign Box.

I do not include points style.. as I do not want that.. I definitely want an electronic ign.. I wasn't overly impressed with the pertronix 1 unit I've run before.. albeit I thought it was better than stock.

I like the Idea of Multi Spark.. or the DUI guys that have a longer hotter burn.

I like the idea of the stock style distributor as far clearance goes and looks.. I was fed up with the GM HEI unit .. it performed great.. but it was just too big.

What setup do you guys run... what experience do you guys have with these. and what do you recommend.

2. squirrel

squirrel

you don't have my choice, which is the stock point distributor with points in it.

there's one in my ot later model Ford pickup, it's connected to an MSD 6A box. They work. It's amazing.

3. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I do appreciate that.. I have dealt with points on another ford vehicle and I got tired of dealing with them. We eventually upgraded to a pertronix 1 unit .. and it was instantly better. However we weren't using an MSD box.. I see a lot of guys do use a points distributor to trigger a MSD box. So, I know the setup works. I just don't think points style is right for me. . . I think.. but I have really limited experience with them.

4. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Pertronix IMG_0476.JPG

65fordguy likes this.

5. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Nice! I like the Headers. Is that the Pertronix Distributor? you running a Iron or Steel gear.

6. I have gone with Pertronix on all my Cars. My favorite set up is a Mallory dual point dist changed over to Pertronix. It's about the smallest unit you can find.
    The Wizzard

7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

it is a PERTRONIX Distributor and Coil - Headers are stock Ford 302

8. My first choice neither. I voted dura spark a friend runs them and really likes them.

my first choice would be a Mallory either magnetic or Uni-Lite. I have been running the uni-lite about forever and really like them. But the magnetic has its charms, it does screw with the other guys computer. LOL

65fordguy likes this.
  9. onetrickpony

onetrickpony
    from Texas

A properly set up Duraspark will do anything you want it to do. Add an MSD box if you want even higher RPM. You can use the small diameter cap and rotor as long as you keep good wires on the system. The bigger cap is more necessary on high mileage, low maintenance stuff.

65fordguy likes this.
  10. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I forgot Mallory.. I have noticed a good group of folks like them.. I have never really gotten to know their line up.. What separates them from the other guys... All I know is vacuum advance.. And points and electronic ignition.. I see the term magnetic thrown around but don't fully understand what it's application is.

11. fenders53

fenders53
    from Iowa

I chose the 70s style Duraspark (blue grommet module) when I built my 53 F100 13 years ago. Nothing amazing about it. Just very reliable, simple install and parts were readily available and affordable. I grabbed a harness from the yard, rebuilt dizzy, MSD coil, quality ballast resistor. I had a module on hand so I think I dropped about $200 for a complete and mostly new ignition system. Zero failures so far. The other options you mention are good too IMO. And I screwed up my vote so add one more to stock Duraspark rebuilt.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  12. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I am told over and over by guys running them that it's the only way to go.. It just seems convoluted to me..having spent a good few hours chasing issues with them a couple times.. I thought to myself this is why I like the GM hei. Lol.. But. So much for that. The dui duraspark sounds good.. I like that they custom curve and build the parts for my application. And it's a wire in kit. I don't know much about the dodge box they run.. But I've seen that box mentioned several times on other forums.

13. squirrel

squirrel

"magnetic" means the ignition is triggered by a magnetic pickup unit. This is a coil of wire, which has an iron core, and a metal reluctor wheel spins next to it. each time a reluctor tooth passes the pickup, it generates a little electric pulse. This pulse requires an amplifire box (like an MSD or an HEI module or Duraspark module, or Chrysler Electronic Amplifier, for example) to make it into a signal that is powerful enough to fire the ignition coil.'

btw MSD bought out Mallory, and now Holley bought out MSD, so we have no idea how good any of their new parts are.

65fordguy likes this.
  14. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I voted Pertronix because it is invisible. I have had experience with both the Pertronix and Duraspark set ups (also HEI). The Duraspark works well but you have to deal with the big connector and find a place to put the box.

It appears from your comments that appearance is an important consideration for you so Pertronix.

15. 65fordguy

65fordguy

Not so much appearance.. But. Size. That hei would rub on stuff all the time.. The coolant line in the intake.. And I had to run a stack of spacers on the air cleaner to clear it.. And several times the air cleaner would vibrate around and contact the distributer causing arc and would run horrible.. No matter how much I tightened that thing it would still rotate around. And to a degree yes looks.. And the heckler Ford buddies of mine on me about my gm ignition lol. All in good fun. But having it look stockish would be cool and I think it would look better.

16. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I know exactly the ones you speak about.. Didn't realize that's what I was looking at. Thanks for that! Holley has their fingers in everything it seems.. I recently bought a quick fuel carb.. Only to learn they to were acquired by or bought into by holley.. Yet still independent.

17. 65fordguy

65fordguy

18. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

I have a stock Duraspark in a 302 and while it's never failed me, if I had it to do over, I'd go Pertronix.
    Much more simple and much easier to wire up.

65fordguy likes this.
  19. I'd stay away from Mallory at this point, since they are out of business! MSD bought then and closed the doors.

20. squirrel

squirrel

there is plenty of old Mallory stuff around...and since we love old stuff so much, it's not a big deal that they went away. I haven't bought any of their new parts for so long I can't even remember.

65fordguy likes this.
  21. terry48435

terry48435

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  22. 65fordguy

65fordguy

I had a Proform version of that... It worked well.. But.. Here I am. I think they have a good rep.

23. That's my vote (with a MSD box). Easy to get, not too expensive, and dead-nuts reliable. Hide the box, run the small cap, and it looks like the OEM points setup.

Those GM HEI conversion distributors are just too ugly....

24. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Petronix for me. Not my carb. Put it on to break in cam. Dual Holley 94's going on soon as rebuilt. radiator.jpg

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I use the Duraspark ignitions on my Ford motors due to parts availability at all parts stores,a points distributor cap can be used for the points look.

26. petronics...hands down. looks stock, black cap and black wires. Don't know why guys run colored cap and wires other than black.

27. 58custom

58custom

28. 65fordguy

65fordguy

29. 65fordguy

65fordguy

So as of now the poll is showing Stock rebuilt Duraspark... last night and earlier this morning I have read where a lot of folks actually do like the distributor but use a CDI box like from MSD over the Duraspark box mated to a duraspark dizzy. thoughts? I guess I have my guard up on those ignition boxes as I've seen a lot of them toast... no 2 in the poll is a stock 70s style distributor and a pertronix ignitor III setup.. I like this idea. Could you guys make a recommendation on a good unit to look at... there seems to be a large assortment from the 60s to 80s. and finding a good rebuilt unit seems to be an issue with cheap o rebuilds form the parts stores.. I've read where a lot of them have a good bit of end play. Is there a year make model that would be best as far as curve goes?