Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Pearl Harbor Day

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DenK, Dec 7, 2015.

1. DenK

DenK

Put up a flag, take off your hat at noon for all those boys who never came back.

2. 32 Spitfire

32 Spitfire

3. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

A DAY THAT WILL LIVE IN INFAMY F.D.R Let us not forget the greatest generation of Americans! Freedom is not FREE

4. jhtdon

jhtdon
    from Florida

I was just short of 4 years. For most of the next 4 years my life was filled with the loss of friends fathers and the gold star mothers pendants in the neighbors windows. Pray for peace.

LOU WELLS likes this.

5. [​IMG]

Time heals all wounds but we should never forget. HRP

6. :( bad news in history, many of us lost relatives that day, some of us are lucky enough not to have known them and unlucky enough to not to have known them. Many good people men and women were lost that day.

We should not look back with sorrow but resolve.

Model T1, 40fordtudor and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

X2

8. butch27

butch27

I don't think they even reconize today in the schools today. SAD

1956 F100 likes this.
  9. I lost a second cousin on the Oklahoma that day. The Army and Navy are arguing about who deals with remains!!??

10. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Our Flags are always flying at our house, we must never forget the bravest of the brave of the greatest generation! Joe

11. Kent Vanhelsing

Kent Vanhelsing

I have fond memories of taking care of a Pearl Harbor survivor that despite his many physical problems, had a great attitude and sense of humor. He happened to be in clinic on the 50th anniversary. I commented this must be a day burned into your memory forever. He replied, " Truth be told, I thought the world was coming to an end that morning". Then with his wry grin he said, " I folded my hands as I looked at all that smoke off to my left and I said, 'Lord, you know I want to be with you, but maybe not quite yet."

Model T1 and timwhit like this.
  12. Raiman1959

Raiman1959

Pearl Harbor won't be forgotten in my house! My grandfather was a Navy frogman in WWII...was at Pearl Harbor soon after the fact to clean up the harbor, and said it was incredibly sad...I remember the veterans and military and what they have given us....freedom-------------"thank you" veterans!!!

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  13. Cool. I think that there were a lot of people from that era that had a good attitude about it.

The father of a kid I grew up with was missing a leg above the knee. He came through the assault on Pearl Harbor unscathed other then a bad case of survivors remorse, not a scratch. Actually got decorated for his efforts to save the wounded. He lost his leg in the South Pacific, 3 days prior to his scheduled departure he walked into the officers mess to check with the officer of the day on orders and a zero made a strafing run on the base, he was the only one hit. he used to laugh about it and say, "If I had lost my leg @ Pearl I would have missed out on a lot of bad chow and dysentery."

Not to make light of what happened there, just to remember that the men who served in that war seemed to have an exceptional attitude. We could learn a lot from them today.

USMercUte, volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  14. elba

elba

My high school music teacher was there . I live near Mobile Alabama and The Battleship Alabama is on display. BIG !

Model T1 likes this.
  15. Hard to believe it was 74 years ago. The depression, WWII and the Korean War all in a span of about 20 years. Truely a great generation that suffered a great deal. We owe them alot.

16. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I doubt it; not "politically correct" to do so. I am concerned with what our next "Pearl Harbor" or "9/11" is going to be.

17. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

I have a nephew that is stationed there now. His barrack is about where the middle of where the Tank Farm was. He can look out his window and see the dock that the fueler Neosho pulled up to to get away from Battleship Row. It was docked between the California and the Maryland/Oklahoma.

I'm curious as to what the day to day personnel do on this date there. I'll call him later when he's off work.

I've been there a hand full of times to the memorial and it's impossible to fathom what happen there that morning.

Model T1 likes this.
  18. ken bogren

ken bogren

Pearl Harbor was just a few years before my time, but I'm grateful to the men and women who served our country in WWII and especially those who died doing so.

Model T1 likes this.
  19. Muttley

Muttley

A friend of my Dad's in the local Model A club is a Pearl Harbor survivor, he recently got to go on one of the Honor Flights to see the WWII Memorial in D.C.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

still leaking oil....thanks to all that served and still serve .and that gave their lives.

21. Never Forget!

[​IMG]

I was born 40 years after the attack, however I have the utmost respect for W.W.II vets.

I shake hands and thank every W.W.II vet I meet.

22. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

WWII was my fathers war , even after listening to his peers & loosing friends in NAM did I realize the incredible sadness & sense of loss brought by war until my wife & I visited the arizona memorial in '86 ...changed my perspective completely !!
    dave

volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  23. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

My Mothers uncle is still aboard the Arizona. Our family still flies out and visits his place in history. I cry every time I go. Don in Indiana

24. Boatmark

Boatmark

The flag always flys here - between my father and sister there are 37 years of military service in my family.

A woman that worked for my parents was at Pearl during the attack. She was a nurse. Her husband was a pilot killed trying to take off during the attack. It was really interesting to go through a book we had on Pearl Harbor, with her explaining first hand the things in the photos.

A prior post commented about the men who fought having a good attitude going on with life. I think it was different when the entire country was at war. Everyone was in some way involved or affected. Now good men and woman go to war for their country, and most people don't seem to even notice. Or worse yet care.

volvobrynk, wraymen and Model T1 like this.
  25. Flag is always flying here in pride and remembrance!

lothiandon1940 and Model T1 like this.
  26. LBCD

LBCD

Not a WW2 memorial....but took my kid over to the park by our house to show him the restored plane and monument to remember this day.

Attached Files:

volvobrynk, Model T1 and ct1932ford like this.
  27. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My Dad joined the Navy in CA. the day after Pearl was bombed: Dec. 8, 1941.
    He and Mom must have bade a sincere goodbye, as I was born the following Oct. 19!
    Dad was a Frogman, (U.S.S. Wasp, then Hornet; took a Boatswain's chair to the latter 4 days before she was torpedoed, the 5 Sullivan boys went down with her)

Dad's older brother, Frank was the V.P. of Consolidated Aircraft, was awarded an Executive transport plane for his duties...Uncle Frank 'nixed' the Consolidated plane, opted for a Lockheed Hudson. Damned if he didn't get it.

The eldest brother, Lucian, was a Catholic Jesuit priest. Also politically active, Uncle Lucian served for 2 years as the Goodwill Ambassador to Chile.
    Uncle Lou was listed in the "Who's Who in America".
    We fly the flag here...Proudly. A family that served.

Among the guys here on the HAMB I get a feeling of 'permanence'.
    We've been 'around'... Proud to be with you guys.

USMercUte, volvobrynk and Model T1 like this.
  28. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

A brave generation indeed. Most of my teachers in high school and before were WW2 Vets. None of them told us how brave they were, we found out when we grew older and at their passing what many of them had done.

Fedman and Model T1 like this.
  29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No one I met today mentioned it today. Sometimes, maybe a lot of times, I regret being a civilian. No respect and no idea what accountability is. It's beginning to feel like, "Thank you for your service." is just something cool for folks to say.

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. 296ardun

296ardun

For two years my ship tied up right across from Ford Island in Pearl Harbor, right across from the Arizona memorial. I never forgot all those sailors buried in the Arizona's remains, and the many other U.S. servicemen and Hawaiian civilians who died that day...(but the most impressive memorial I saw at Pearl Harbor was the submarine memorial, 52 plaques, one for each U.S. Navy submarine lost, and all lost with all hands...names of each crew member lost were engraved on the plaques).

ct1932ford likes this.