Register now to get rid of these ads!

Courtesy cards for Alliance members??

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by lothiandon1940, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Thanks for the input, Moe. It is appreciated and yes it is reflective of the sad state of our litigious society today. All of that said and considered, it isn't going to stop me from helping out a fellow hot-rodder with a jump start or gallon of gas to get them back on the road or offering directions to some lost soul or helping a non-car person change a flat so they can get to their destination. If we all look the other way when someone needs help, where do we wind up as a society? It's not a very pretty scenario. If after assisting someone, even in some small way, I hand them a card indicating that I am an Alliance Member of the H.A.M.B./ Jalopy Journal and they then choose to sue me then that may be the chance I have to take. And yes, you are correct, although many states have so called " Good Samaritan" laws that may absolve someone from criminal prosecution when helping an accident victim, they may still be held accountable in a civil action.

2. Sad comment on today's society. HRP

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

4. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Club I belong to has cards like this. I have stopped many a time to help a stranded motorist even if all I did was call road side assist for them. Last one was a lady with a flat tyre on a trailer. Never gave her a card though.

5. Thanks for the input.

lothianwilly71 likes this.
  6. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like a good idea. We (hot rodders) have a better name now than we used to, but it never hurts to put some positive spins on any chance encounters with the general public. You never know, this might be the extra point you need to get into heaven!LOL

7. ........................Thanks for the input. It is appreciated. And yes, an extra point toward passage through those pearly gates can't hurt. I was not only thinking in terms of the general public but, also fellow hot-rodders who may not be aware of the H.A.M.B./ Jalopy Journal, if there are any left out there.:D

8. This practice of courtesy cards is new to me. As Don knows, I asked a question about them today in regards to my TRJ lifetime membership. Hotroddon was kind enough to clue me in to this practice.

So, thinking about this......
    Why not? Seems like a OK idea.
    Haven't wrapped my head around whether you'd hand one to a fellow member you befriended at a show or just for good deeds and such.
    I made up business style cards with a pic of myself, my wife and our car to hand to people we meet and want to stay in touch with.
    A HAMB card with a space to hand write my name and contact would be kinda cool.

I'm probably missing the historical meaning of the courtesy card, but I never practiced it.

Don is lobbying for it, Ryan digs it, so when do I get mine?

9. Thanks for the positive input, crminal. I know Ryan has a lot on his plate, but he does seem to like the idea. We'll see what the future holds.:)...............................Don.

10. Cool idea!:cool: So people won't think we are just a bunch of crazy teenagers.:rolleyes: That in the fact that I am bald:eek:
    I'm In.:)

11. ...........................So true, Danny, so true.:(

12. Rogue63

Rogue63
    from New York

When I was young ,my family and I broke down on a bridge .A Rodder stopped and lit a flare gave us his clubs card and left I was about 8 that was 60 years ago and still remember.

13. I believe if Ryan offered them in the store, 20 cards for x number of dollars,all being worded the same they would sell out fast.

Granted not all the member would want them but almost anything with the Hamb on it sales. HRP

ct1932ford and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Good idea, Danny, but I was kinda hoping that he might link them with the Alliance membership as a little extra perk for joining. Not at all a slam on those who choose not to join, as I understand completely, but, I do believe that if you do become an Alliance Member you have a certain responsibility to help promote the H.A.M.B./ Jalopy Journal in a positive light. Including 5 or 6 of them each renewal year could help increase Alliance membership as well. I would be happy to see them become available whatever the circumstances might be. Thanks for all of the responses everyone...............................Don.

15. Back up for your consideration, Ryan. Thanks, Don.:)

lothianwilly71 and ct1932ford like this.
  16. It still sounds good! :cool:

17. It's hard to believe that I brought this up over 2 years ago! Where does time go??!!:eek:

18. Time fly’s when your having fun!:p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    lothiandon1940 and biggeorge like this.
  19. Missed this the first time. Good idea Don, I used to stop all the time to help stranded motorists. Now it always seems that I'm either late for work or in a hurry to get home. Card or not I'm going to try and do better in the future.

20. Fly's even if you ain't having fun. :rolleyes: HRP

21. Sad but true.

22. Your a good guy Phil..

23. aw shucks... your just too kind, Willy.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I think an internet version would be best since we meet more people here that out there.:confused: Bob

25. ....................That's a sad thought, Bob. Likely true, but sad nonetheless :(

lothianwilly71 and The37Kid like this.
  26. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm sure we've walked by each outer at Hershey, we need to stop and say hello this fall.:) Bob

27. ..............I do plan to go to Hershey in the Fall. Feel free to buy me a hot-dog.:D;)

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

Deal! The best food vendor is just across the street from our spots. Bob :)

29. .............We'll have to stay in touch as Summer goes by.

30. Back up for continued input. Thanks to all who have contributed so far..........Don.:)