Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shock question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 87notch, Dec 4, 2015.

1. 87notch

87notch
    from kentucky

I have a 52 F1 that I've just got back on the road. The suspension is all stock except for posie super slides in the front. It has a 68 302 with a 4spd and the posies were supposed to drop it 2 inches. I put new factory replacement shocks all the way around. When I hit a bump it sounds like the whole front end is falling out from under it. I'm wondering if the shocks are bottoming out or something. Anybody have a similar set up or any suggestions? The truck also has new king pins and bushings and tie rod ends. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449291384.151537.jpg

2. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Your shocks probably are. Take them off and collapse one and measure eye to eye. Then have a couple buddies put weight on the front end of the truck and measure the distance between the mounts and compare. Gary

3. fordor41

fordor41

Or axle is hitting the rubber stops. I trimmed mine off shorter on my '41 car.

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pictures of the springs, bump-stops, and shocks, please.

5. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

Put a zip tie on the shock shaft close to the body of the shock. Drive it and see where the zip ties are located. If they are pushed up by the end of the shaft then you are running out of travel.

clem and gimpyshotrods like this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Sounds like you need shocks with a shorter body and more travel. Measure extended and compressed lengths of shocks (eye to eye) and then determine how far body moves down and up during suspension movement.

7. 50flathead

50flathead
    from Iowa, USA

Yep something sure is bottoming out. Btw. I really like the way your truck sits. The stance is perfect in my opinion

8. pinstriper matt

pinstriper matt

sorry to get off topic but im about to be in the same boat as you as far as truck/motor/front end..curious as to if you or another thread has info on the install and fitments of all components

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Start a thread with all of your detals, providing that it is acceptable to board rules.

Include a bunch of pictures.

Each setup is different.