Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Shipping wheels with tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Colemire, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

How do you all go about shipping wheels and tires? I have 2 15x3 1/2, and 2 15x7 Rocket polished Strike wheels with new radials on them. I've had to pass up 2 sales because UPS wants $49 each to ship. I have to box them separate. I know shipping has went up, but that sounds high to me. I may go on and use the front ones on my gasser, but I'm putting 15x10 on the rear. They want $500 for 2 Strikes 10 wide. Plus I'd have to buy centers, mine has the spinner type centers, don't want spinners on a gasser. These are 4 3/4, and my ford rear end is 4 1/2. Hard to sell anything like this local, everything around here has 20's or whatever on it. Also I hope my aviator is Hamb friendly, soon as I get the dodge some what assembled, I'll put it on there.

2. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

After you box up each wheel/tire, tape two of the boxes together (one front and one rear tire) and ship them as one package. That way you ship only two boxes, and shipping should be much cheaper.

3. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Haven't gotten wheels *&* tires shipped lately, but bare tires are banded together, 2 at a time, w/plastic banding. Don't see why that wont work for assembled sets as well. I'd send them w/cardboard in between, the faces facing in, banded real tight! Shipping label glued to tire tread.
    When I have gotten wheels & tires shipped, they came in a large box, w/bubble-pac 'twixt rim faces, & also packed around tires. Shipped ok, but I do detest UPS, & will use just about anyone else first, except Greyhound, & a Chinese Junk.
    Have you tried USPS yet. Shipping limit is 70lbs, & ~108" length + width + height.
    Worst case: demount them for easier shipping.
    FWIW.
    Marcus...

4. And no, your avatar is not H.A.M.B. friendly. Sorry.

i.rant likes this.

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bicycle boxes are free around here, and Fedex Ground always works well for me. Bob

6. hinklejd

hinklejd
    from Fort Worth

Have you looked at freight companies? I had 4 wheels shipped 500 miles for $60. Granted, this was 10 years ago, but shipping surely hasn't gone up 10x since then.

7. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

Check with a Fastenal dealer in your area. They will ship large items between stores for a reasonable rate.
    KK

8. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

They won't let me ship 2 together at UPS, don't know why. I don't have to many choices on shipping around here, think I'll catch some of them that comes in at work and see what I can do. May get lucky and sell them local. Thanks

9. dad-bud

dad-bud

They probably don't want to ship two wheels fitted with tyres together so they can get paid to ship 4 lots instead of only 2 = more money for them.
    Best to shop around until you get a deal you are OK with so long as you can wait.
    As for avatar, the pic is small so it doesn't offend me.
    Good luck

10. check with fed-ex or get a HAMB relay

11. A 2 B

A 2 B
    from SW Ontario

I've had good results from Greyhound Express. They will ship from depot to depot just about anywhere in the US but will not ship across international borders.

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Fastenal or Greyhound will be the cheapest, unless your buyer hooks up with a shipper or HAMBer, etc. that can work the wheel/tire set into an upcoming route.
    If you can't find a distant buyer willing to bake in the cost of shipping the set, you may have to come down on price/hope someone local steps up.
    What are the wheels? A lot depends on the rarity, etc of the wheels. Are they common enough for most folks to find them locally or are we talking rare or specialty application wheels that are tougher to find and also have a smaller buying audience (ie; buyers would be national, not local). If that's the case, they may sell locally, but would take months to sell vs. weeks on a national scale.

13. Budget36

Budget36

I put a set with tires in one box, strapped together and Fedex picked it up and took them...extra 5 bucks for Fedex to get them from my residence.

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

??

15. I have had success with FedEx for big 'n little wheels and tires. I make two identical packages of a big tire/wheel and a small tire/wheel. I cut cardboard circles, one for the bottom, then big tire/wheel, cardboard, then the small tire/wheel, then cardboard. I then stretch wrap and use plastic banding straps. Cheaper for two identical packages. They always arrive in good shape probably due to the fact they have to be manually handled.

Works for me anyway.

Charlie

16. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

They are Rocket polished strike wheels, don't see any around here. I'm going to talk to my fedex guy at work and see what he says. Price wise I can't go any lower. $750 all 4 or $400 for 2 rears is a steal. Don't want to loose any more money.

Black Panther likes this.
  17. Davyj

Davyj

Fastenal is a good bet, you can put them on a skid and take them to your nearest store. I had a bench seat shipped this way, it took about a week, but the savings were worth it.

18. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

19. uncle buck

uncle buck

You didn't read all of the original post. If you go back and read it, it will make sense.
    As for the shipping , I find Fed-Ex is quite often ALOT cheaper than UPS on heavy or large items

20. I've had good luck with Greyhound express.

21. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Greyhound; any size, anywhere up to 100lbs is like $69.00. So as stated, wrap one big and one small to create one package.

22. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

Four weeks waiting for decklid from Washington State. Was sent to NYC instead of Buffalo?????. All I can say is make sure the shipping label is correct!!! Rep today said its in "transit" Where??

23. k9racer

k9racer

Years ago I got a much cheaper rate as tires were a recyclble item. Check and see how coker sends their mounted tires. speedway moters sell s mounted {IMCA}circle track tires. Make a phone call to these companys and get them to tell you.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another thumbs up for FedEX freight. I haven't used them lately but have shipped some bulky items including an ElCamino tailgate.

25. Lil32

Lil32

$49 each, U think that is bad, UPS wanted $50 to post 2 T shirts from Lake Havasu to Australia.
    Normal post was $20 and shirts were here in 7 days
    Noel

26. I received my tires and wheels from Coker, each tire had cardboard on each side of tire, held in place with a plastic band.
    I was not home when tires arrived, but bet you could contact Coker to see who they use to ship their tires.