Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New pictures Post 29 with yellow compound...Noisy 9"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by crusin55, Nov 30, 2015.

1. crusin55

crusin55

Where's all my R&P gurus? I don't have a clue what the patterns mean. If it is wrong, could this be the cause of my noisy rear-end? Please...I need your opinions.

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

As stated looks like the pinion is to close and yes that could be the noise.
    You may try and run the gears through some more to get to a part where the pattern is showing in a spot where you didn't have the marking dye brushed on. Sometimes it makes it easier to see the pattern.

3. oj

oj

This is the point where you get a 'Return Authorization' from the builder. The last thing they will want to hear about is the advice you got from the internet. If you go any further they will void the warranty.

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes try the above, my eyes are too distant too see but coast looks way deep [pinion] drive looks central but deep [little back lash...I've blown the pic as big as I can but running the gears in a clean spot would help...You need a coating of the marking stuff, say .015 thou worth..You have a little too much on; sorta like try to see a foot print in a mud puddle..:rolleyes:

5. Bill Leland

Bill Leland

White lead paste in little can, some people use red lead but I can read the white easier
    I can't recall where I used to buy I had a drag car and was constantly changing gears in my 9" Ford.

6. crusin55

crusin55

I don't plan on making any adjustments. I just want to get people opinions that have set them up as to where the noise is coming from. Thank you for your input.

7. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

I'm no expert, I've only done a few. You didn't really get a well defined pattern there. The compound is pretty heavy and sometimes it takes a lot of force to get a good pattern,(my last one was like that with used gears) it looks like the pinion is probably too deep, but I say dont worry about trying to figure out whats wrong with it just send it back and let them worry about it. Tell them you put the old chunk back in it and it was quiet so it has to be their chunk. They have always been pretty good for me to deal with I cant imagine they wont make good on it.

8. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your marking compound is WAAAYYYY too wet. Hard to tell what you have there. Add more dry compound until it'd difficult to paint it on the tooth.

9. crusin55

crusin55

Update...........They recalled it and said there was nothing wrong with it except it showed excessive scoring on the bearings with such little miles (500). They said it would be caused by wrong oil, not filled to the top or contamination in the housing. NO WAY....I purchased the oil they suggested, filled it to the bottom of the fill hole and cleaned and wiped down the housing with Brake Kleen.

I think it was bad bearings (Timken) when installed or installed improperly.

They offered to build me a new one or refund my money. I took the refund.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy