Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Whats up with the search function?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Russco, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Maybe its only me, but I haven't been able to find shit since the format changed when doing a search. I'm looking for some specs or info on a K88 chassis. So I go to the search icon and click it. In the search for box I put "K88", check the "Search titles only" box. Leave the"posted by Member" box blank. Put July 4 2009 in the "newer than" box. Search results are 4 pages of random threads and not one with K88 in the title or anything even remotely close, and none going back more than Tuesday of this week. So whats the deal? Am I doing something wrong or does the search function just suck that bad now?

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

No, Ive seen that one but thanks. There were a couple others I've seen too over the years that had some specs and other info in them. I was looking for any others though. When you do a search are you finding any more?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015

5. TailDrag

TailDrag

I generally find most forum searches to be less than efficient. Instead, I go to Google and search a forum via their search engine. Have you tried that? Just search for something like "jalopyjournal.com K88 specs" and see if that isn't more fruitful.

volvobrynk, bct and loudbang like this.
  6. cretin

cretin

Yea, I think the search function sucks. There is the Google tab that works a bit better, but I have a hard time finding specific threads I'm looking for too.

7. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I un-check "Search titles only", I get more.

8. Put K88 in parenthesis, like this: (K88). This keeps the search tight on K88 instead of its components.
    Search terms with numbers work better this way. To get better results on most searches I also go to the advanced (more) page and select either "recent" or "relevant" as the case may be.

willbe and loudbang like this.
  9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

The Parenthesis did the trick. I found the thread I was looking for. Thanks Rich B

10. Good to hear that it worked for you, and I really don't know how to spell "parenthesis"; had to google it.

Russco likes this.
  11. I just google what I want to find and then include the letters H.A.M.B. on the end.

I can't make the search function work on the new format either.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. bct

bct

I find if i google a set of terms , jalopy journal always comes up . At the bottom of the list it asks if you want "more from jalopy journal" . Always works.

volvobrynk likes this.