Register now to get rid of these ads!

Junkyard Hemi score

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gator, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Gator

Gator

Went with Jstrom today to his cousin's farm, used to be a junkyard. We were looking through the remnants and found this, upside down in a mud puddle.

I was able to buy it, a 40 something Ford axle and some really cool tail lights very cheap.

The man told me he thought it was a 331. I was wanting something different for my A coupe! I'm gonna have to get to learning about Hemis I guess. Any of you guys have links to good early Hemi info?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just scored a 331 myself, so I've been doing a lot of searching. I've been posting some topics over the past week so just do a search.

Check www.thehemi.com, buy some catalogs, read the HAMB and pick up Tex Smith's Complete Hemi book.

There are tons of info-full people here to help!

3. that's a 354.

Trust you got it for a good price...

Cheers,

Drewfus:)

4. In my best Austin Powers voice......"did someone lose their Mojo(gator)?" :D :rolleyes:

Nice find Greg...;)

5. long island vic

long island vic

unless your handy with money leave it where its at...they are big bucks to do and with all that rust you might not get anything out if it

6. I hope it does not look like this inside!!!

Attached Files:

7. If you think it looks bad on the outside.....

BEst wishes.

8. lone wolf

lone wolf

got pic of the tailites?i like to see them.

9. chopzuk

chopzuk
    from central AR

Congrats on the find

Take it home, tear it down--for kicks-- even if it ain't buildable, it's worth the look through--my .02

I just bought a '53 Ford Customline 2dr post with a flathead and overdrive tranny. Bought it cause I've never been into a flathead and never seen the overdrive--just for kicks:D

10. Dugg

Dugg

Admittedly, I not much of a Hemi fan, but finding that would be considered a real score.

11. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

hey..I will buy the pan off ya buddy......just pm me:)

12. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good find! It has the short/normal bellhousing so it may be a 354 or 392. Scrape the crap off the front top area of the block and post the numbers you find. Parts is parts something has to be worth a few bucks there. :D

13. Gator

Gator

Here are the lights. They were on an old school bus of all things. Thje lenses are glass and they are about 1 1/2 deep.

[​IMG]

I got the Hemi cheap enough that if I end up hanging the valve covers on the wall for garage art I've gotten my money's worth. Plus, I have a Hemi! When I get the numbers I'll sure post them for you guys. Thanks for all the info!!

14. Gr8ballsofir

Gr8ballsofir

Its only a couple of years of the 331 that had the extended bell housing right? What's the casting number if you can read it? It's on a flat spot in front of the valley pan.

15. sling392shot

sling392shot

Great score, I really hope it's a builder!!! :) and if it isn't you can make yourself a coffee table. :D

Ash

16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

My Old Hemi Is Lookin Better All The Time:d But Mines Only A 276...

17. sling392shot

sling392shot

18. Fitzworld

Fitzworld

Gr8balls is is right about the early 331 (51-53) having the big cast on bell
    housing but they didn't have four barrels. The one you have is more than
    likely a 354 but could be a 392. Checking the casting numbers would let you
    know for sure.

19. Number you want is top front of the block in front of the valley cover. It's stamped and should begin C542-x-xxxx on 1954, and 3N55, 3N56, 3N57, on those years. 1958s will begin with a 58.

1954-5 = 331, 1956 = 354, 1957-8 = 392.

On the bright side even if the block is crap it's easy to find a same-size poly block that's good. Your heads, intake and crank will probably still be useable when cleaned up.

20. 64deville

64deville

I agree, tear it down and see whats inside. Only one way to find out. If its usable it would be cool to build a screamer out of it with an interesting story to go along with it.

21. Gator

Gator

Thanks again for all the info guys. New Yorker, that was kinda my thoughts on the whole deal.

I can't wait to get into it. I'll post pics and numbers when I do.

22. mark8040

mark8040
    from Fort Worth

Here's a '55 331 dropped in a '34 International with 4 deuces.

Attached Files:

23. Even if its junk the valve covers would look good on the wall! Plus the intake, oil pan and timing cover/water pump housing are worth keeping. It took me a while to find all those external parts to complete mine with a resonable price tag.

24. Squablow

Squablow

Yeah, fuck it if the block and bottom end is shit, all you really need are the heads and accessory shit off of them, you can put all that stuff on a 354 Poly block and you're all set. Not that 354 Poly blocks are a nickel a ton or anything, but they're gettable. Plus the four barrel intake is good and maybe it'll have the 555 heads on it which are supposed to be the good ones.

I LOVE those taillights! I gotta go hunt down some old school busses to see if I can find anymore. If you wanna sell them, let me know.

25. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

About 25 yrs. ago I took the grill out of a 65 DeSota for my 48 Studebaker, back in Sept.went to the same yard to get some dr, hinges for my Terraplane from a 37 DeSota that was parked next to the same 65 and the hemi was still in it. Just got me wondering!!!!!!!

26. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Sorry I meant 55 DeSota

27. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

Not to call anyone out or be an asshole, but if you're not > 99% positive about something, why would you present information, in a post, as fact(s) for a bunch of people to read? Just causes a bunch of confusion.

Thanks rustynewyorker for the correct, and accurate info.

28. jstorm

jstorm

TEll them how we got the lights off the bus.

29. marq

marq

Now those lights are an even bigger score than the Hemi they are cool............Marq

30. George

George

Looks like the water pump is bolted to the front of the heads, if so no earlier than a '55 331. There will be casting #s between the pass. head & valley cover towards the rear in the tab up front isn't readable.