Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical UV and water protection for printed decals?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flypa38, Dec 4, 2015.

1. flypa38

flypa38

Hey fellas,
    I found some pictures of old 50's service decals (oil change, lube, etc) and wanted to print them out on address labels with my regular old home inkjet. I was wondering if anyone has advice on how to protect them from the elements so I can use them as maintenance reminders. They'd be placed right under the real deal ones from the 50's and 60's on my door pillar which is not exactly the driest area when I drive in rain.
    I used a UV resistant clear spray paint on some water slide decals I printed the same way a few years ago and they were faded/almost clear within a few weeks. Hoping you guys could suggest something better that would work for the decals and service labels.
    Finally, was looking at '56 state inspection stickers that are applied to the inside of the windshield. Anyone know how to print on the adhesive side of a sticker and protect that from UV as well?
    Hope this isn't too OT, but I hate the look of anything modern on my car. Sticks out like a sore thumb and bothers me.......

2. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A piece of high quality packing tape?
    Could a sign shop print them on vinyl? Paper doesn't like water.

3. Look at a product called Superfrog Frog Juice in 12 oz. Aerosol

Here is the description:
    [​IMG]
    Protect your prints with Frog Juice liquid laminate! Frog Juice is a multi-purpose clear coat and UV protectant for use on all water-sensitive prints. May be painted or sprayed over digital prints.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

learn something new every day - hopefully

5. flypa38

flypa38

I'll have to look into that frog stuff! Wonder if it can be made to have a flat finish like untreated paper.
    Any ideas on the inspection sticker questions? I'm thinking maybe a method to stick uv treated plain paper to the windshield might be the key here.
    Thanks for the replies so far!

6. flypa38

flypa38

Here is what I want to make by the way:
    [​IMG]
    And some like this:

[​IMG]

7. fordor41

fordor41

Most decal printer paper tell you to coat with multiple coats of aerosol clear so I assume label paper would work the same.

8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Check the "scrap booking" area of your local Wal Mart or similar. They sell a laminator / sticker maker thing that will put adhesive on anything. My wife bought one, but I've used it way more than she has for reproduction stickers in restorations.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Xyron-500-Sticker-Machine/10285214

You can buy other cartridges for it, with laminates, permanent, and non permanent adhesive options. Just print your tag, cut it out, and run it through.

9. little red 50

little red 50

I do some sublimation printing on some outside stuff and have tried the frog juice, it only lasts about 6 months outside. I haven't found anything yet that works good.

10. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had pictures printed on vinyl with an adhesive backing, any place that does vinyl signs could whip out a bunch for you. They can size it however you like. I know that takes away from doing it yourself but you will end up with a durable print.

11. flypa38

flypa38

Going to Walmart tomorrow.....gonna look for that machine and some UV clear. Apparently Krylon Crystal is supposed to work.
    If I can't get a ton of use out of that machine, I know my kids will!
    As far as the vinyl, .........well it looks like vinyl! Can't beat the durability, but I'm just too stubborn to use anything that doesn't look at home on the car.
    Something I haven't considered is a place like Kinkos. Anybody know if they can print with a water/UV resistant ink?
    Thanks again guys! Any more ideas are welcome!