Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Galaxie Motor swap 223 / 3 speed TO 390 / c6

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nellynel07, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

Hey guys, i already had a thread started about doing a swap in my 64' galaxie but it was to a 300 i6 which didn't work out because of the 300's length *( But at least theres a lot of great info on there now for people thinking of trying that!!). since then i bought a 390 and c6 tranny. Im currently doing seals and shift kit on the c6 and the 390 is at the machine shop..

im aware i have to move the trans cross member back and make a plate for the trans mount that is no big deal. and ill probably have to make a shift linkage to use a stock automatic coulom just buy a b and m floor shifter.

but the other questions i have is i someone said that my motor cross member that is welded to the frame is differs from 6 cyl to v8 fe ??
    sooooo is that true or are they the same and i just buy normal galaxie 390 motor mounts

also a issue i see arising is radiators. my 6 cyl radiator needs replaced anyway but will a new 6 cyl radiator work with the 390 ? i know my 390 had a expansion tank do they have to run these?

i would just buy a 64 galaxie 390 radiator but i think it uses a different radiator support / mounts? they clearly differ from 6 cyl to fe radiator mounts.

RECAP
    which radiator?
    which motor mount?
    what else am i missing that ill need?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  2. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

the 223 uses the same motor mounts as the y-block and the fe or at least they were the same on my 55 ford when I swapped the 223 I6 for a 292 y-block. All I had to do to swap the y-block in my 57 ford to a fe was reverse the mounts direction . I can't sat that the 60 to 62 is the same but it would not suprise me.

3. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

As far as the radiator goes your car could have had a 390 you should be able to source a new one. no matter what you should go with a v8 rad as the 6 cyl rad is small and the hose locations are different.

4. IIRC, the full-size frames were all identical in terms of front suspension/crossmembers, so all you should need is OEM 390 mounts. The radiator is another matter. The six radiator will definitely be too small. These had separate radiator support brackets, with the six and V8 versions being different. I believe there was also a small block V8 version and a FE version. Again, it's been a long time, but IIRC the FEs used the expansion tank because given the size of the radiator needed there wasn't room for the tank on the radiator because of hood clearance issues, while all others used a 'conventional' radiator. '64 was the last year Ford used the expansion tank as they found they were prone to leaking. Now, at one time I think there were 'conversion' radiators that eliminated the expansion tank, hard telling if those are still available. You might also look at using a '65-up full size Ford FE cross-flow unit, but that will no doubt need some mods to make fit, but should be easy to get.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Is the 390 rad substantially wider or longer? If they are more or less the same surface area I would suggest having the rad recored with a thicker core. Your stock 6 cyl rad is likely a 2 core, you will need a 3 or 4 core. Definitely 4 core if you have air conditioning or are planning on towing a trailer or other heavy duty work.

It may be cheaper and better to buy a new aluminum radiator. They seem to throw off heat well.

You may also need to put in heavier front springs and bigger front brakes and a heavy duty rear axle. In some cars the big motor jobs even have a heavy duty steering box and suspension.

Use your own judgement on these things, you know how you plan to use the car and what you expect out of it.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I put a 67 radiator in my 64 and it fit good,I had to do something with the upper mount that holds it in but was easy

7. Y'know, you already have clutch linkage, how about a four-speed...... ;)

8. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

oh yeah the fuel line on a 223 I6 is on the passenger side of the car while V8s have the fuel line on the drivers side.
    you will have to modify your wiring harness . ya know shorten a wire here lengthen one there nothing difficult.
    you might have to shorten the drive shaft. you will need to possibly alter the throttle linkage. don't forget to plan for new exhaust.

9. Nellynel07

Nellynel07

It's a wagon so it has a 9" with 3.89 gears

Well just from looking at pictures the 390 radiator has different mounts on top and bottom.

The current springs I'll see how much they say once that heavy bb sits in there. I was going to cut a coil off anywhy so we will climb that mountain when motor sits in.

Disk brakes are in the plans for the front with power booster

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. Beter to put the FE springs in and cut a coil than get your drop from squashing the 6 cylinder springs. it will handle better and you won't be suffering from spring bind.

The 6 cylinder radiator won't cool the FE, hell it will just barely cool a 289. They do make replacement aluminum rads for an FE swap or just get a stock radiator and use an expansion tank, it will be a cleaner swap that way anyway. I would not change the core support if you look you will find that the FE radiator is easily adapted and the core support may already have the holes for the mounts.

Few American cars used different cross members for different motor options. MOPAR being the most common one used a bolt in cross member for the big blocks and small blocks on some models. Ford did not use a different cross member on any old car that I know of, it was just cheaper and easier, it made for a quicker change over on the assembly line for a difference in engine option as they were a welded in cross member.