Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 40 Ford steering wheel repair

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lodaddyo, Dec 2, 2015.

1. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

My buddy gave me this 40 ford steering wheel out of his 35 truck cab. Its cracked pretty bad. Ive done plenty of searching and will probably fix it like HRP suggested with the pc-7 epoxy. But its cracked in the center where the small grooves are. I guess i could fix the cracks and try to replicate the lines with small pick or sharp pointed tool. in the epoxy or filler maybe? What you guys think

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449099368.129354.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449099393.191839.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. I think I'd try filing that area down, then wrapping it with plastic line to simulate the ribbing. Cover it with a thin coat of epoxy to seal it, then paint.

You could even use a soft wire, then buff it before sealing for a nice accent.

X38 likes this.
  3. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Thanks for the suggestion steve. Might give that a shot

4. Kevinsrodshop

Kevinsrodshop

Maybe you could build up the grooved area with epoxy, then use a hacksaw blade or something similar to re-create the grooves.

5. Re-creating the groves could be duplicated by using a piece of wood with small brads,difficult at the very least or you could take a page from the more exotic cars and glue a small cord of contrasting color wrapped round and round to create the look. HRP