Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HURST COMPETITION PLUS SHIFTER

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JT Apperson, Dec 3, 2015.

1. JT Apperson

JT Apperson
    from va

Anyone running a Hurst Competition Plus shifter in a Tri-Five Chevy with the bench seat. I have a 56 Chevy w/BW T-10 tranny. I like the looks of the bench seat. Thanks JT

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

I've run one - works fine - its the one with the welded on handle.....still available - However I much preferred a super shifter with straight reinforced rods....just cant use the bench seat - when I made the switch I also went with 64 Impala SS buckets - look real good in a 55-57

3. PackardV8

PackardV8

Yes, there was a bench seat bracket and handle; big C-shaped curve to the front and back again. IIRC, the pickup bracket and handle also works with bench seats.

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Yes and there are several ways to go. First there is a shifter for 55-57 Chv. w/bench seat, they still might be available new. 2nd people have taken the seat to an upholstery shop and had them take a small notch about 4" by 6" out of the seat and re-upholster it, that done right looks natural. 3rd is to cut and weld your handle to clear the seat. And finally move the seat all the way back, if you're tall it works out. Good Luck

Hurst Shifters 5388620 - Hurst Competition Plus Flat Shifter Sticks
    [​IMG]
    Compare
    Replacement Shifter Stick, Steel, Chrome, Lay Back, Kit Number 3913780,
    Part Number: HUU-5388620 More Detail...

Pat

5. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That was the one to have, I bought one new in about 1971 for my 57 BelAir 2 dr ht.
    283/T-10/411's. Every time I see a photo of one; it takes me back.

6. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

Put one in our 53 & notched seat for cup holders & extra clearance. I bought the stick & put it on a comp plus shifter I had lying around. Also just drove a customers 56 post car with correct shifter & linkage kit & it cleared bench seat nicely. Flux. image.jpeg

7. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

LOL One of my '56 Fords had a 312, B/W T86 trans and a Hurst 3 speed linkage.
    I got the car from a lummox that said "The transmission must be bad, can't get 1st or 3rd."
    Seat wouldn't go back any further, so I removed the shifter, clamped a temp bar on, road tested...Perfect!
    I cut the Hurst stick at the bottom, small 'V', and welded it in the new position. All this just below the boot, then cleaned/painted the weld area.
    Some 'walk0in 'supervisors' ranted at me for outright sacrelige, "Cutting and welding a HURST???"
    Yep. NOW race me...

Edit question here: How long have the alternate Hurst sticks been advertised/ available? Seen them in Jegs and Summit, but before that?

flux capacitor and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. I've had one in the OL 55 since the 70's. I'm glad I didn't cut the seat, those damn things are getting expensive!
    Pay no attention to the extra shifter boot laying there.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Those Hurst "Super Boots" were the standard for covering up the "sins" of all the previous owners that hacked up the floor tunnel for various trans and shifter swaps over the years.

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had a 56 back in the early 80's with a bench seat and no fancy shifter. with the stiff clutch and the seat too far back for my height it was a bitch to drive.

11. 56shoebox

56shoebox

I built a 56 and had the "C" shaped Hurst Comp Plus shifter. They are still available brand new. I bought mine from Ol 55 in Doylestown, PA. Summit also sells it. They clear the bench easily. I personally hate the look of the bench notched because the wrong shifter was used. My floors were uncut so I was also able to use the small shifter boot instead of the big one (To cover previous owners sins, as stated above.). I think the hole I cut has only about 1 1/2 inches wide.