Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Wisconsin front license plate for a Model A Hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1927graham, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Someone tell me, how in the hell do you mount a front plate on a chopped and channeled Model A, (original 32 shell) my avatar. I plan on moving to Wisconsin in the next few years and my Model A is coming with me, I liked the way Minnesota does their plate, just one on back but Wisconsin requires one on the front, I don't know any way it can be fitted without looking like shit, any suggestions or pictures?
    DSCN9532.JPG

2. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

mount it behind the grill if you can

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  3. Mine is mounted on a bracket behind the spreader bar which you don't have.
    I'd make a nice bracket off side of chassis under headlight, if your front wheel don't get in the way turning.
    Or a small thin stainless spreader bar, and mount it to that.
    Maybe some sort of custom nerf bar?

1927graham likes this.
  4. clem

clem

image.jpg Somewhere about here, maybe on the left for you guys.....
    And no , my plate does not say '32DUD'

1927graham likes this.

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

Missouri requires 2 plates but if you run historic or YOM you only have to run one. Maybe Wisconsin does the same?

6. Run just one on the back and keep paying the fines. You can't put a price on avoiding looking like shit.:D;)

7. Just sign your title over to me:D.

I'll let you use my address and you can keep your truck and your current plate.

1927graham likes this.
  8. Dont know where it's at now, but there WAS an effort to change the WI. law to 1 plate. May be still in the works.

1927graham likes this.
  9. side_valve

side_valve
    Alliance Vendor

I don't have one and have never been stopped.

1927graham likes this.
  10. 1pickup

1pickup

1 collector plate on the back of my '39. Nerf bars on the front. Been that way for 30ish years & I've never been stopped.

1927graham likes this.
  11. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Go with out till they make you put one on

1927graham and LOU WELLS like this.
  12. I have never run a front plate on any of my old cars in Wisconsin. Never worried about it. Never been stopped.

If you're really worried about it, just throw the front plate in the back somewhere. If you get stopped, say that it "just fell off", and you are going home to put it back on....right after choir practice! :)

1927graham likes this.
  13. Be more concerned about getting it titled and inspected.

14. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

In the past on my OT cars without front brackets, I've always just carried the front plate inside the car (usually under the seat). I was only asked about it once, and after showing the cop I had the plate with me he was cool. I really wouldn't worry about it unless you plan on driving like an idiot, then they'll make a big deal out of everything.

1927graham likes this.
  15. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

THE ONLY TIME IN THE LAST 50 YEARS THAT I HAVE BEEN PULLED OVER IN A HOT ROD WAS BECAUSE THE COP WAS BUILDING A 40 FORD COUPE AND HE WANTED TO SEE HOW I DID MY MOTOR MOUNTS..................... 325.png

clem, 1927graham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. Spreader bar. Until they change the law it's about the only option. Remember that you're driving a fenderless hot rod and not having a front plate gives them a reason to pull you over. When I had my 29 inspected to get it registered the cop would not sign the form until I put it on. I didn't want to run a front plate either but they will give you a 10 day " fix it ticket " and if not fixed they can fine you. I'd just make it work, you have a nice looking car. 008060.jpg P2220223.JPG

Max Gearhead likes this.
  17. Tetanus

Tetanus

run without it. I have not had one on my daily driver for 5 years. as long as you dont drive like a dumbass you will be ok.

1927graham likes this.
  18. If you still have family living in Minnesota why not keep it registered there,or I have read the replys and some seem to get by with one tag in Wisconsin. HRP

1927graham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  19. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Now that I think about it, I ran my 50 Chevy (avatar pic) for the better part of 6 months without a front plate. I DID get pulled over twice, BUT both times the cops just wanted to talk about the car and tell me about the car their buddies have and/or the cars they drove in high school. Neither one of them even mentioned the lack of the front plate.

1927graham and lothiandon1940 like this.
  20. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Make a "quick release" of some sort to mount it under the headlight. Stick it back on if your stopped, then take it back off after it's been inspected, or you get to the event your going to. That should work, unless it's your local police that give you the ticket. It's a hot rod, so there's probably plenty of other stuff they could hassle you about too!

lothiandon1940 and 1927graham like this.
  21. ahshoe

ahshoe

I run thru WI a lot with cruise-in's,shows etc. I drive a fenderless no front plate '32. Also don't have front plates on any of my classic cars for that matter.Regular plate on the back (Not speciality , classic or antique rear plate) I keep it with me in case I get pulled over .But I never have. Of course I don't drive like a dumb ass anymore either.Just drive it with the rear plate and deal with it IF you get pulled over most these officers understand and won't bother you. I never think about it and my wife says I'm the worry wart in the family.

1927graham likes this.
  22. Wisconsin law says it's got to be clearly visible, the grill would probably obscure it too much, I thought of that too, thanks for the input!

23. bonzo-1

bonzo-1

No front plates on either of my cars. Never had a problem, dont worry about it.
    Unless your lifestyle is not worth the risk of being pulled over.

1927graham likes this.
  24. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

They're not going to bother you on an old car, unless you are drawing attention to yourself. That being said, you could get the one gung ho guy on the local force who won't cut a common sense break to anyone. Both a friend and I have driven for years without having the front plates on our hot rods.

Not saying you can't get some hassle, but deal with it in the future if it comes up.

Also, all vehicles pre 51 in Wisconsin they are not going to give you any jive for not having fenders.

And, if you register your vehicle smartly, you can easily avoid an inspection. If going with hobbyist plates, go with "street modified". If you do pick "home-built", or "reconstructed" they will inspect it, and it's never a good situation putting your fate into the hands of somebody's interpretation of the law.

1927graham likes this.
  25. Chuck, you are absolutely the best friend a guy could have, thanks for the offer!!!!

26. I'll make an obscure mount, maybe under the headlight and not mount the plate, just keep it in the car, when asked by the friendly officer, I'll reply "well, I always clean my car after each time I drive it, must have forgotten to put it back on", at my age I know they'll believe me!!

27. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

It was something we use to do in Western Australia, now with their revenue raising speed traps that plate has to be seen. Even bending or altering the plate in anyway can get you a $1200 fine.

1927graham likes this.
  28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Craig,
    Reminds me of several years back when my brother and his family moved from Minnesota to Wisconsin. We went to visit and I called him and said we were having problems getting into Wisconsin. He asked if it was traffic delays or construction, and I said no we were waiting to get half our brains sucked out before they would let us cross.

After the lobotomy you'll probably want to drop that body on a 4wd chassis, add some Yosemite Sam back-off mud flaps , and you can mount your plate on the front winch bracket. ........

.......My wife's is from Wisconsin, so there's a lot of this back and forth......!

Speed~On, ahshoe and 1927graham like this.
  29. Eric, you are too funny. now I'm really nervous about this move, though it could be a couple of years. You know, you just got to go where the family is, my daughter was just given her own State Farm Agency in River Falls and said dad, you gotta move, you need to be closer than 2 hours, so I said sure, I'll go to Hastings, it's one of my favorites in that area, she said no, 18 miles is just too far away, so now my the biggest problem is my life is my front license plate location, it's sad how my brain is wired!!! I'D RATHER HAVE A BOTTLE IN FRONT OF ME, THAN A FRONTAL LOBOTOMY!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Roadsir and LOU WELLS like this.
  30. It's you guys from WI that have driven your cars for years with out the front plate, that have given me hope for the future, for a while I thought there would be no future for me in Wisconsin, all kidding aside, I very much appreciate your response. I'll register with hobbyist plates and go with street modified!!