Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods the California kid?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Moneymaker, May 22, 2015.

1. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

After Atwater Mike's remark, someone MIGHT need some K-Y jelly.

2. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And it sits next to the coolest '34 Highboy 3W to land on earth.

3. Tn. Trash

Tn. Trash

Beat me to it.:D

4. dmorago

dmorago

I must agree on the '34 for the strip

Dean Lowe likes this.
  5. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I don't. Two words. Hyder bros.

6. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Not as hokey as the beach movies was for those who think young had James Darrin driving Tommy Ivo's nail head T racing against Tab Hunter in another T with a 348 tri power they were drag racing through the Pomona parking lot palm trees and all LOL

7. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Based on my last left foot/leg surgery that a stick will be out of the question,so much for my period Cad Lasalle dreams slush box of some kind it will be I lave a line on a early 60's hydro-stick so depending on what motor I ultimately go with I'm leaning towards a 394 olds nail head Bruick or 430 stinking lincoln depending which one I can find the coolest induction set up for back in the 60's AMT had a model car kit of a 25 T phone booth with a lincoln engine potvin blower and 4 or 6 side draft carbs don't know how it would have worked but it sure looked cool

8. I'm with you, Moneymaker, I also have a wonky left appendage and it irks me to no end when people claim that only legit cars have three pedals. Great in theory, but no way close to reality. Let's understand that automatics are valid in rods.

9. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Nothing wrong with using auto with a purpose!
    I just like three on the tree or four on the floor better!
    But a th350 would be an eye saw to med, but an power hop/Alu power glide or hydro-stick would be so cool!

You sir, are on to something!

But in al do respect; spacing and punctuation, makes a world of difference in reader friendlyness. Just sang, no disrespect ment!

10. Add me to the gimpy old curmudgeons group,my straight drive days are limited even though I built Brenda's wagon with a 5 speed.

Age and crippling accidents eventually catch up with most of us,but I don't have a problem with a automatic transmission,I can still enjoy driving hot rods that don't have 3 pedals. HRP

Stogy likes this.
  11. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

12. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here is Pete with the Engine trans, Wheels & Tires that ended up on the Kid... He tore apart this T Bucket he built while he was at Blair's to build the Kid.....[​IMG]

falcongeorge likes this.
  13. Harms Way

Harms Way

Just before Manuel Reyes (Who by the way is a member of the HAMB) put the "Hot Licks" to it...
    [​IMG]

Who says a Hot Rod cant be a family car ?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Nice shot,....... Wrong car.... This one was recently built as a tribute car.... Very slightly wrong angle at the "A" pillar... And ...... It's a 1933.. Not 34 ;)

Cyclone Kevin and Baron like this.
  15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good catch. I should have noticed that. Thanks. :)

Cyclone Kevin and Harms Way like this.
  16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This 34 is just about finished. Cals 34 b.jpg Cals 34 c.jpg Cals 34 d.jpg

17. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Is there a particular reason he had red put between the two white stripes as shown in that last photo?

The real one doesn't have the red and has never been fully repainted, but I have seen a few tribute/clone cars that put the red there.

Maybe it's red in the movie?

18. Don't forget Mr. Whipple squeezing the Charmin.
    Or Madge the manicurist

falcongeorge likes this.
  19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Tim. I wondered the same thing. Guessing that Cal maybe saw a picture one of one of the clones with the red pinstripe over the white ? I'll ask him next time I see him.

20. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

A couple years back, A guy from here in town with traditional looking fenderless Model A was coming back from Texas after seeing his mon. He was getting a little sleepy so he pulls into a truckstop and takes a nap in the middle of the night. A cop taps on his window and he is startled to say the least. The cop says follow me, my buddy says what did I do, what did I do? So he follows the cop down a road a little ways and ends up in the parking lot of Pete and Jakes. My buddy thought they were headed somewhere completely different. They spend the next 20 minutes looking thru the windows talking about Hot Rods. He was wide awake for the 3 1/2 hour drive home after that.

dmorago and jetnow1 like this.
  21. Moneymaker

Moneymaker

Add my recent falling off a step ladder accident and the breaking my left arm,shoulder, 3 ribs,collar bone I'll be lucky to drive anything at all. At least this time the hospital stay was only 3 days.

22. junk fiend

junk fiend

my dad delivered mail to the house where Pete built the kid hehe.

23. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Any more pix of your Pal Cal's 34? I also was looking over the stripes wondering about the red in-between the lines. It appears that Cal and his 34 build is taking a loose approach and making his own version of "His Kid".

In talking to Pete when I was in my 20's and now into my 50's, I always thought it would be great to recreate the "Movie Version" of the kid as that is how most people remember it. His take has always been "Go for it!" It took a while to obtain (2) 34 Coupes that could actually be used to dupe both P&J's cars-(not that I can financially afford to do that at this point in my life).

Although the movie version of the "Kid" had Winston Bias-Ply Tires on the rear (Which I owned at on time),The engine seen could be the Windsor or the Small Block Chevy as they both appeared in the engine shot. The louvers on it would definitely be straight from the same louver press that Pete used at Blairs and I'd have to use a competitors QC=o_O. The movie car ran the Glass Bucket seats and no interior,The gauges would have to be those 70's era S-W's, but thats how it was built.

The movie car used a mustang shifter which is how a lot of the cars back then were built. The steering wheel brand seem like a Grant with the wood rim and a unique center cap. The Kid had mustang steering and a straight column. It originally had a rumble lid, not sure if it does now???
    This would be just my mental version of the Movie Car.

This Cal was also influenced by the Kid. A Stellar build of a 33 itself.[​IMG]

falcongeorge and Baron like this.
  24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here are a few more. I asked Cal about the red stripes and was told he has pics of the original showing the red strip in between the two white stripes Cal just wanted the "look". Not an exact clone. I would have liked to see the windshield layed back like Pete's car, but he did not want to spend the extra money that the extra work/time to do it. The average person wouldn't know the difference, but to any of us with a good eye pick it right up. Here are some pics of the finished product. Still a great looking car. DSC_0097.JPG DSC_0102.JPG DSC_0105.JPG

25. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

That version is no slouch!!!!! It does eyeball real well. It does remind me of the original, especially in that 1st shot-not exact as he states but damn good!!!!!! Thanx for posting the pix.

26. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kevin: By any chance, remember the early clone, "The Costa Mesa Kid"? Near identical clone of Pete's, think it had a SBC.

Cyclone Kevin likes this.
  27. rdscotty

rdscotty
    from red deer

I remember that car vividly. (Costa Mesa Kid) I believe it was in Rod Action if I remember correctly. I bought the magazine because it had a car in like the one I saw in a tv movie. lol

28. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

Great looking car!

29. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

I do remember seeing it, but what month and year in Rod Action? I have those out in the shop.
    I have the Street Rodder article as well somewhere when Cris Carrier owned it. I the think the rear spring was re-arched around the time of the shoot as "The Kid" is sitting just a little high in the rear. In that shoot it then had the 32 3W seat that eventually ended up in Bill Vinther’s 34 3W.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2021