Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best odor removal product? ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southerncad, Nov 30, 2015.

1. southerncad

southerncad

OK, if you were to spill about a gallon of diesel in the back seat area of your ride (don't ask:eek:) after sucking up as much as you could with a shop vac, what would you wash everything down with to eliminate the smell? Thanx in advance for any input.

2. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

I've bought cars like that.

Strip the seat covers off. and send it to a commercial Laundromat.
    Pull the carpet out if needed and nail it up to a fence and use a concentrated commercial detergent and a water blaster.
    The seat foam will need the same treatment but will need days to dry

Don't clean carpet underfelt......replace it

3. If you can keep people out of the back seat area for a while........... sprinkle LOTS of coffee grounds all over it. Let it sit for at least a week and vacuum it up.
    Hope you don't have white carpet?

40fordtudor and volvobrynk like this.
  4. 117harv

117harv

5. 117harv

117harv

Google???

volvobrynk likes this.
  6. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

OZONE machine. 100% results.

VR&C.

7. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

after the heavy duty scrubbing is over I'd leave a big bowl of baking soda with some chopped up apples in it a few days, works amazingly well....... At least it does for wet dog n cig smoke. Flux

'51 Norm likes this.
  8. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

You have to get rid of the diesel itself physically, it's stinky stuff as you've discovered. It won't all evaporate, at least not for a while. Lighter fluid or naptha should be able to dissolve it into suspension and soak it up. Do not use a shop vac for this operation however or diesel odors will be a distant memory.

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

We picked up a wave once in my 57 Chevy when I was in the Navy in 1967, well let's just say a whole bottle of CANOE cologne sprinkled over the back seat helped but didn't get rid of it all....

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
    Revived 265 and hipster like this.
  10. A 57 Chevy, in 1967, in back seat, a Wave??
    Come on man, that brings back memories. What's the rest of the story??

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  11. Mark T

Mark T

Check with your local heating and air conditioning supply house, they sell professional cleaning products for these types of cleanups.

Home heating oil is the same as diesel.

12. southerncad

southerncad

Thanx for all the replies, a buddy lent me an ozone generator that he uses to eliminate cigarette smoke and other nasty smelling stuff when he rehabs motor homes....worked great!

13. LMFAO I was going to say moth balls but didn't so when I read this and moth balls was one of the first answers it made me feel normal. :)

An old used car dealers trick for making old heaps smell like new cars is ammonia. I think that removing the carpet and the pad are a very good idea though. You'll never get the diesel out of the carpet pad for sure.

14. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

New cars don't smell like ammonia do they?

15. Nope but when you it the upholstery with the ammonia it brings that new car smell out. it works and has been being done by used car dealers as long as I have been around.

16. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

The cheapest and easiest fix is to visit your local swimming pool store and pick up a pair of nose plugs. Seriously, like previously mentioned, rip out the carpet and padding then rent an upholstery shampooer and hit it hard with the best industrial cleaner you can find.

17. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

I made this "oops" in my last O/T car. Most of it vented out over the course of the rest of winter and spring. I left the windows open whenever I could to help it. Anything that might have been left was usually masked by cigar smoke.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

See if you can locate scrap metal 48's Wave. The smell of "Old Tuna" will trump the diesel smell.

19. I spilt used transaxle oil out of a VW (the transaxle rolled over) in the back of my SUV, 2 years later when I sold the SUV the oil smell was still in it after washing it out many times. Used truck wash, dishwashing liquid, degreaser and anything I could find and the smell still lived on,,,
    It was worse in summer, after opening up the car after being closed for a day or so the smell nearly made me sick.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  20. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We had a fuel delivery man overflow our tank (in the basement) one time, after cleaning up all that we could, an older gentleman told me to put a pan of of bleach (uncovered) overnight, and it would absorb all the odor. It worked like a charm, and people I have told said it has worked for them. You don't have much to lose at this point.

21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Get a foil roaster pan. Fill it up with Kingsford charcoal briquettes. Put it in your vehicle. If the smell isn't gone in a few weeks to a month, go ahead and light the briquettes.

40FORDPU and Hnstray like this.
  22. Fresh coffee worked to get rid of cig.smells in my wifes S.U.V..Bruce.

23. Donald A. Smith

Donald A. Smith
    from Brook In.

All I can do is think of the WAVE in the 57 Good God I gotta get out more. Don

Hnstray and hipster like this.
  24. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Well the old redneck cure would be catch a live Skunk & with the windows rolled up chunk that critter in & slam the door. Come back the next morning & let it out.
    Guranteed you will never smell that diesel again.
    LOL Jimmie

25. indyjps

indyjps

Gotta get the oil residue out, or the smell will keep coming back.

I spilled some mineral spirits in a car. Everytime I thought it was gone it came back. Ended up cutting out the carpet pad, repetedly filling that floor well with water and dish soap and scrubbing the carpet with a bristle brush shop vac'ING it out. Propped the carpet up and blew a fan under, thru it, then replaced the pad.

A box of baking soda dumped on the carpet every 2 days for a while and vac out the old. The smell was finally gone.

26. blackanblue

blackanblue

Worth a shot if it doesn't work you still have a wet dog an apple pie and a smoke.

flux capacitor likes this.
  27. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I was going to suggest this as well .

28. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i use secented cat litter. put it on the seat and carpet and let it set for a day in the sun with the windows rolled up. then take a brush and scrub it in. let it set a day or 2 then vacume it out.