Register now to get rid of these ads!

sbc cragar blower intake 471

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodymanmp, Aug 17, 2011.

1. deto

deto

Just curious what software you drew that in?

2. Haisley

Haisley

I use SolidWorks 2015. Had to design the intake runners and subtract them from the intake in assembly mode. I'll use HSMWorks to do the toolpaths. Talked to my foundry friend yesterday, he suggested I machine the match plate from Mic 6 aluminum tooling plate. That's what I'll do will post pics of the process as I go along. I will start a new thread on the build of the whole process. This will take some time as I have a CNC machine shop to run also.

deto and lewk like this.
  3. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

Greg,
    I think the side mounting for the pop off plate(s) is much better. Could make them finned aluminum. I love finned aluminum.
    Bruce

4. Haisley

Haisley

Since this intake is a new design I'm going to do the side pop off valve only. It makes for better air flow. Less machining and easier access.

5. deto

deto

I'm gonna have to look into that. I just got 2015.

6. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

7. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

I emailed Haisley a few weeks back. he advised he is making progress & a few months out until completion.

8. silent rick

silent rick

9. Subscribe. want one.

10. Wow I always wondered what Germ would be like without the meth. :rolleyes:

Old Cragar speed parts are hard to come by. They are either broken or horded. I still wouldn't want to give an arm and a leg for one personally. I guess the easiest way to price one if figure where you are at cost wise all in, ideally you would like to hit the 1.5-2K mark for building a blower setup with used parts. At least that is what I would be shooting for. Example if you are in 1.5k for the blower carb adapters and carbs then 500 would still be within a sane budget for one. Make sense?

hipster likes this.
  11. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

Contact Bob at [email protected] for drive parts. He builds complete drives for the 4-71 to use with the Weiand 7135 manifold. May work on the Crager but not completely sure the blower is in the exact sane place relative to the rest of the engine.

Attached Files:

12. Haisley

Haisley

Update: 3D Printed model done. Fit looks good. Going to check a few other items. Pop off plate fit, valve cover clearance.

Will post more pictures of progress as it is done. Next task - modify model for machine stock, add shrink, core prints, parting surfaces. CNC cut urethane for air set sand molding process. CNC machine core boxes. Lots of work ahead.

Attached Files:

13. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

That's what I'm talking about;)

14. That does look great and is very impressive work. Good job on moving the pop off. The original was a PITA when it popped if the plate didn't seat back perfectly. Big vacuum leak all of a sudden. Pretty much you have to remove the blower to re-seat the pop off round plate. It happened near Ray's Hot Rod Shop at the Calhoun drags one time and we pulled the blower at Ray's shop with some help from the Ooltewah Kevin and his buddy. That time we added a T welded to the round disc and then I could use a long pry bar to move the plate around until it re-seated from the outside.

Looks like you are also thinking about making a water passage to connect the rear water ports in the heads. That would be great - and put way to bleed off air from the ports too.

PBRmeASAP likes this.
  15. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

I'll take one or two when did you say the delivery date is cause I'm ready

16. deto

deto

I'm already saving my money...

17. ace5043

ace5043
    from Florida

Add my name to that list please

18. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Any progress yet ?

19. Will there be room for a thermostat housing?

20. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

I had one from a Hot Rodders estate and sold it on EBAY in 2009 for $1027.

21. 40Vert

40Vert

Any updates on the repops? Seems Ross and Walden still haven't brought theirs to market. Haisley?

22. town sedan

town sedan

Yep, btt.....

23. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

These projects take time when our plate is large........ But rest assured we're not sitting on our hands...... Our plans include the Olds,Buick,Hemi,caddy as well as the sbc

Here's our new early Olds and our Buick nailhead 4-71 .... Also with our own drive parts[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. Very Very NICE!!:D:cool:

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  25. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Tony,
    are you making a V belt drive for the 6-71 for the early Olds?

26. canning

canning

They still lurk in the dark recesses of unknown shops. 100_3695.JPG

27. wow...that nail!

28. weemark

weemark
    from scotland

I would definitely be interested in a manifold if someone was popping them. I've been led to believe an offy 360 manifold can be machined so the 471 fits on to it, it's obviously a compromise but when there is nothing else available what do you do?

29. 29Durant

29Durant
    from Austin, TX

I too have a 471 blower and am in need of a sbc. Intake. Please let us know asap when it is ready for purchase !