Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration TJR lifetime memberships

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mcmopar, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Got my letter today, picking up a frame tomorrow to hang it proudly in my living room!!!

TRJ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  2. primed34

primed34

Got my letter. Whole lot easier to order on round three.

3. Anyone ever get their goodie bags or shirts from their lifetime subscription?

4. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Not yet!

5. belair

belair

I did several months ago.

6. I got mine on the last round they did, got my letter but haven't got the rest of the goods...

7. tallhtrddr

tallhtrddr

ditto - what nailhead jason said,,,,,,letter, but no goods

8. daddio211

daddio211

Nothing here.

@fivespokeman and I were having a conversation on Facebook about this, spurred by the question of Christmas posters.

I suspect TRJ is struggling financially. The roadster was for sale, three rounds of lifetime memberships, no new products, etc. Although the quality and content have NOT suffered in anyway, the book is still as phenomenal as it ever was.

I don't intend to stir fear or spread rumors, it's only an observation from having been in business for so long. Seems to follow a theme I've seen way too often of a business heading down the shitter. I have no knowledge of the inner workings of TRJ, and I truly hope I'm wrong.

I spent $300 on a lifetime membership having seen and suspected this already, but believing that my "donation" may help the cause. I truly hope it does.

9. I just want my shirt! I already have a frame to put it in next to the Letter I got from TRJ. Some people hang up Sports and football crap, I have Motor Cycle frames hanging from the ceiling, WWII newspapers framed and hot rod Stuff on every wall of my house!

10. so_dak_kid

so_dak_kid

Steve from RJ has already talked about this in a previous thread......all is well, needing some extra capital to put back into the business to make it even awesome -er!

daddio211 likes this.
  11. gbrown

gbrown

I got all of my goodies!

12. hotrod1948

hotrod1948
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milton, WI

I got all of my stuff a while ago.

13. Well, you are spreading fear and rumors! ;) I have known Steve for over 35 years now, and we recently had a conversation about the things you mentioned. Not the struggling, but rather the roadster sale, the lifetime membership etc. Here's the scoop without divulging anything proprietary, From My Point of View.
    The whole idea behind the lifetime membership was indeed to raise some funds, but not because they were in trouble, but because Steve has some things he wants to do with the book to expand, not to mention possibly publishing another title. The roadster has been sold, for similar reasons although I am pretty sure he is going to be building another - just a hunch, he hasn't said so. As for No new Products, this is simply not true. He has already introduced the Large Cover banners, which were expensive to produce, quite a few new T-Shirt designs (Which may not seem like much but when you figure in various sizes and colors, the inventory dollars add up real quick) more inventory in books and accessories etc. This all takes a lot of working capital. I also heard a rumor of another event like the Revival, and that takes money to produce if it's true (that did Not come from Steve)

As for the Lifetime, it was only supposed to be a one shot deal, but the response was so overwhelming, and folks complained about the way it was handled (some of you guys will complain about Anything) that he decided to try and make more folks happy and offered more.

I got my T-Shirt and goodies Yesterday - so watch the mail box!

14. Sweet! Personally I never thought theys were having any problems. I was just pumped to catch the lifetime thing on the last go around and wondered if anyone had got the shirt and stuff. I got the latest issue about 2 weeks after I got the lifetime deal. Still stoked about it!

15. .................................Surely hope that this comes to fruition. I made it to all three and they were top notch productions......Don. 1488228_783998798281643_536997705_n (1) (2) (1) (1) (1).jpg 09242013.jpg

16. cpd682

cpd682
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from DFW, Texas

UPS shows mine to be arriving tomorrow. Been in transit for a week.

17. oldsjoe

oldsjoe

Quality takes time to produce! The cheap stuff is always laying around! Be patient believe me it's worth the wait! Joe TRJ Lifetime Member 442

18. barryvanhook

barryvanhook
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Mesa, AZ

Just got an email this morning to expect delivery tomorrow.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  19. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

Mine came today..... It's worth the wait!!

20. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I got my first round one a while ago and it is already stained (broke in).

21. daddio211

daddio211

Thanks for the clarification, this is exactly what I was hoping to hear. So the next question is.... WHAT CAN WE DO TO HELP TRJ FLOURISH?

22. I think it's stale.

It's been in a formula rut for a long time. That and they need to look beyond the Brizio shop for feature cars. As flippant as that may sound, at a guess, Brizio builds would make up 50% of cars featured. And as nice as they are, it just gets tired.

daddio211 and snopeks garage like this.
  23. 50% ??? :confused: ... Although that may have been true many years ago, it's definitely not true in the last 4 or 5 years ... e.g.:

Issue #68 includes 9 feature articles:
    • SUPER CHIEF - Clyde Wooten’s ’58 Pontiac
    • THE FEDERALE COUPE - A Chopped Competition-style ’33 Ford
    • MADRAS SPEED RUNS: 1951-1955 - Early Speed Trials in the Pacific Northwest
    • THE TEXAS LONGHORN II - Texas Top Fueler Brought Back to Life
    • DEUCE DEVELOPMENT - The Evolution of an All-Steel ’32 Ford
    • INSIDE HOT RODDING - An Exclusive Look at Tex Smith’s Autobiography
    • A-MINUS - A New Twist on an East Coast A
    • COFFIN-NOSE COMEBACK - Hot Rod 1937 Cord in Baremetal
    • EVOLUTION OF POWER - Improving SBC Looks and Performance
    ... and of those 9 articles, Brizio's shop was only involved with 1 of the cars (i.e., the '37 Cord).

Issue #67 includes 8 feature articles:
    • Swan Song - Jerry Magnuson's Last Hot Rod Embodies a Lifetime of Innovation
    • Hot Rod Gang - Hilton Hotrods' Ground-Pounding Model As
    • Mild Only at a Glance! - Jeff Whiteley’s ’51 Chevy
    • It’s the “Grasshopper”…Too - Dave Shuten's re-creation of the "Grasshopper" T roadster
    • When We Smoked ‘Em - Retrospective look at the Nostalgia Drag scene of the 1980s
    • The Rodder’s Journal Roadster - Part car feature and part wheel-and-tire study
    • Hot Rod Detroit - Highlights from early Motown rod, custom, & drag racing scene
    • Return of the Speed Merchant - A look inside So-Cal Speed Shop Sacramento
    ... and out of those 8 articles, Brizio's shop was only involved with 1 of the cars (i.e., Coonan's roadster).

Issue #66 includes 8 feature articles:
    • Tale of two Chevys - Vintage photos of the Koenen brothers' ’55 and Glover's '57
    • Full Circle - Howard Gribble's recreation of the “Bloody Mary” ’64 Impala SS lowrider
    • Hidden in Plain Sight - A historic visit to yesteryear's Mid-America R&C scene
    • Moonpics - The photography of Dean Moon
    • Double Duty - Pierson Bros’ ’36 Ford coupe restored by South City Rod & Custom
    • Trifecta at Pimlico - An in depth look at the 2014 TRJ Revival.
    • The Breece Coupe II - Bill Breece's Deuce 3wd recreated by South City Rod & Custom
    • Vintage History - A closer look at the TRJ "Vintage Catalog Collection Box Set" project
    ... and zero (0) of the cars in these articles were built by Brizio's shop.

Issue #65 includes 8 feature articles:
    • ‘Bolts - Steve Centracchio's two inline-powered ’31 Chevy hot rods
    • The Unknown Drag Race - Dec. '59 Riverside, CA race that no one remembers
    • Tradition to a T - Kevan Sledge's '40 Merc
    • The Company Coupe! - United Pacific all-steel reproduction ’32 Ford 5wd Coupe.
    • Stupidbaker - Paul and Betty Gilliam's ’53 Studebaker built by Alan Johnson’s Hot Rod Shop
    • Remembering Von Dutch - A look at Kenneth Howard throughout the ’70s and early-’80s
    • Speed Shop Confidential Part 2 - 2nd installment about the life & times of Pete LaBarbera
    • Built For Speed - Blair’s Speed Shop B/Gas Anglia restored by Don Lindfors
    ... and out of those 8 articles, Brizio's shop was only involved with 1 of the cars (i.e., The United Pacific coupe).

I could go on & on listing every issue in the past 4 or 5 years ... but I think you get my point ... the percentage of Brizio-built cars featured in TRJ is no where near 50% ... more like 12.5% ...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    wex65 and philly the greek like this.
  24. I know it's not really 50%, it's a vibe thing.

But still, there's one in 3 of the 4 past issues you quoted. So that makes it a 75% hit rate that you'll find a Brizio car in TRJ.;)

And I have the issue with the Cord.

25. You've just become jaded Tony ;)

26. That could be another way of looking at it. I've been getting TRJ since issue#1. I think it's gotten stale, but I may be a little jaded too. On the other hand, if I was to pick one up tomorrow for the first time ever, I'd think it was pretty good.

hotroddon likes this.
  27. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My question as one of the lifetime members, how long does it usually take to get the new issue in the mail? I was shopping and saw the new one on the newsstand so I called today and they told me they shipped them all out a week and a half ago. I still haven't seen mine yet. Got the last issues(65,66, 67), just not #68. I realize Iowa is a ways from California but I think a week and a half should get it here. Thanks, Doug

28. Retro61

Retro61

All I can say, is if you don't like it, don't buy it!
    Every magazine, you purchase, Subscribe to, whatever, is gonna have something in it you don't like!

29. Help me out here guys, what's a "courtesy card"? These come with the membership but are they tangible or just a nostalgia thing?

30. The US mail generally takes a little longer than the bulk shipping that is done to some of the big store type customers - at least that's the way I understand it. I also don't think they mail from CA, but I'm not 100% on that.

Courtesy cards were real big in the early days of Hot Rodding and M/C's as well. The idea was to promote a good image for Hot Rodding. You stop and help out a stranded motorist, maybe change a flat tire for her, and hand out a card. It was a way of building good will. I know some M/C's still do it. These (from TRJ) are kind of a Nostalgic thing to me.

RICH B and lothiandon1940 like this.