Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How about building kustoms from garbage

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Finnrodder, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

2. jerseymike

jerseymike

the golden sahara was built out of the remains of george barris's personal lincoln after he wrecked it.

jakespeed63 likes this.
  3. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Look at Big As shoebox thread.I am absolutely astounded at that!

4. Every one Ive ever built was garbage lol

5. Some of the stuff built in the '50' started well but ended up as garbage.

56don likes this.
  6. ish817

ish817

Building one right now.

7. ehdave

ehdave

Here's the start to mine, looked ok from a distance but had some serious rust in the floor and roof. I had 2 body's to work with but both had their major rust issues. There are still a fair few places that need a lot of work to get her right but I had to work with what I could afford.

With a lot of help from scratchbuilt on here we got to here in 6 days of work, I've been slowly going back over her to get things sorted. Unfortunately progress has been slow.

Attached Files:

T.W.1949, Finnrodder and Squablow like this.
  8. Fender1325

Fender1325

Building from garbage? Sounds like a rat rod...HIT THE DECK!!!!! (grabs helmet and jumps away).

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  9. indyjps

indyjps

I've never built a custom, but starting with something rough but complete makes sense. Channel it with new floors, get creative and use panels from a different ride. I really like the teardrop 1961 impala rear wheelhouse.

Sure it would be great to have a perfect car to cut up, but not always realistic, seems like customs take cutting up a couple cars to get what you need, having a scrap yard friend, or space to keep a few cars on hand seems like a necessity.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  10. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

You've missed the point of this thread. Go check out the hot rod link in the initial post to see where this one is headed.

Finnrodder and bondojunkie like this.
  11. He didn't necessarily start out with "garbage", but if there were a "Sows ear to silk purse" award on the HAMB it would have to go to member Ratatouille. The transformation on the "Low Range" still astounds me; especially under the conditions he had to work with.

Ratatouille, Saxman, 41 mopar and 2 others like this.
  12. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Yep,you missed the point of this thread completely."Building" that RR shit is turning a shit in another form of shit,mostly making it worse than it was.The Golden Sahara is a really good example what i ment by building kustoms from garbage.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  13. Fender1325

Fender1325

Haha I had to mention Rat Rods bc I get a kick out of the stigma they carry around here.

14. Astounded that anyone could be so stupid to attempt it? I agree :D

15. Torchie

Torchie

I don't know if this fits the criteria but............
    This is what I stared with. Where it is now. And where it is heading.
    Torchie attachment-2.jpg attachment-3.jpg IMG_1695.jpg Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH07-vi.jpg attachment-2.jpg attachment-3.jpg IMG_1695.jpg Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH07-vi.jpg attachment-3.jpg

16. Holy crap, that's cool. Have you got a build thread, I'm interested to see how you married those 2. You don't still have any of what was left of the '41 do you?

17. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Thats cool indeed,keep them coming guys!

18. Torchie

Torchie

No build thread Big A.
    Stripped off everything I could use for the custom from the clapped out 41. The body shell was way beyond fixing.
    I think the only parts that I haven't used are the garnish mouldings and the Dash. And I may still use the dash.
    The biggest challenge was the hood as the 41 car cowl and the F-series truck cowl have different shapes and dimensions. Plus the hood needed to be slightly longer then the stock 41 car.
    I grafted to rear portion of the F-series hood to the 41 Car hood. That way the rear edge matched the truck cowl and I could also use the F-series hood hinge system.
    Made some filler pieces to match the front Car fenders to the truck cowl sides as well.
    Used the complete 41 car chassis and am running a early Olds rocket V-8 mated to a 1950 Ford light duty 3 speed floor shift trans that I rebuilt and changed over from open drive line to torque tube.
    Cab has been chopped 4" and then Channeled 6"
    The goal is to have it done and take it to the Customs by the Sea #3 show next October.
    Torchie

Speedys Garage likes this.
  19. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

Big A I meant amazed at your ability to so nicely repair something in that condition.

20. Hehe, I'm just messing with ya. Thanks for the compliment, I wish I had some progress to report. Some of the guys in that hot rod thread are doing some amazing stuff.

Torchie, that truck is cool as hell. Hopefully I'll get to check it out at Customs By The Sea next year. I've got most of what I need for my '41 coupe, but there's some sheet metal that will be easier to replace than pound out. Also looking for door hinges or complete doors. Always got an ear to the ground.

21. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I started with a gloppy nasty mess of plaster and vermiculite
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448755714.900585.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448755731.100428.jpg

And ended up with this
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448755776.584874.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448755794.734419.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448755822.584348.jpg

22. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks Big A.
    As crappy as that body was the doors were in real nice shape so I was able to sell them. The floor was mostly gone as was the rear wheel wells and trunk.
    If I make it to the show be sure to stop and introduce your self. Always nice to put a face to a name.......
    Torchie

23. Torchie

Torchie

Moriarity likes this.
  24. F-head

F-head

torchie
    that thing looks great, been watching it on CCC
    nice work
    B

25. The37Kid

The37Kid

Thanks for starting this thread, some great builds so far! Bob

26. triman62

triman62

Picture in avatar is what the car looked liked when I bought it, as I was unloading, it broke in half, and here is a picture of where I am at with the build now. I started with garbage, and it still looks like garbage after two years of work. Hopefully I will have a custom car when I get it done. photo.PNG

Attached Files:

27. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

28. AndersF

AndersF

And when you take it out for the first ride somebody gonna tell you what a shame
    it is to customise a nice classic car like that.:D
    Great job this far to make it a one pice car again.

triman62 and bondojunkie like this.
  29. ChefMike

ChefMike

its going to be nice when its finished

30. jerseymike

jerseymike

wow! i'll never complain about rust again! good luck, i love hudsons would love to see this one finished.

triman62 likes this.