Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical model a body wood qeustion

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by v8caddy, Nov 28, 2015.

1. v8caddy

v8caddy

hope you guys don't get tired of questions , today I was working on my 30 tudor body rebuilding the wood or some of it , heres my question ,behind the side rear windows theres a piece of wood about a foot and a half long the runs straight up and down well there 2 srews the go in from behind , it looks like the only way to put these in is eather drill a hole from the outside of the body and turn the in then weld the hole shut or drill out all the rivets remove the post then reinstall and replce rivets with small machine bolts , there is just 2 srews but they should really be put back in, any suggestions ,thanks guys

2. can you post a photo?
    you might have to drill a hole then weld it. can it be pre assembled then installed?
    can you drill straight through the front side and install the screws from there?

v8caddy likes this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Whoa, Nelly!
    You shouldn't have to drill holes in the body to remove or install the wood. Usually the pieces are attached to each other( and the body) with metal brackets and bolts, and held in place around the window openings with 3/4 " body nails through a metal flange.
    Rivets?? I haven't had a Tudor for a couple of years, but don't remember anything to do with the wood being riveted. Might be that one section goes together first then is bolted to another piece? Or that someone else put it together wrong.
    Henry Ford wouldn't have wanted guys on the line doing anything that would slow down production. Try staring at it for a while and the obvious may reveal itself. You gotta outthink it!
    Good luck.

v8caddy likes this.
  4. v8caddy

v8caddy

it looks to mr like the wood was installed on rear sideback window post before the post was riveted to the body , that would have been the only way they could have did it , believe me I looked at it , the heck of it is those 2 wood screws just about have to be put back in , and that is just one single piece of wood no other wood attachs to that piece, and im not crazy about drilling and holes , fixed a lot of stuff like that and I don't like it ,thanks guys

5. can you get a t-nut behind it? images.jpeg

v8caddy likes this.
  6. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Two part epoxy might be another way ,other than holes .

7. v8caddy

v8caddy

no I can't , that stupid post ,the backside where it needs to be is right agaist the panel and plus its metal , the head of the screw is in back of the rear post and the side panel is solid against it , but thankyou

8. pictures, we need pictures.

v8caddy likes this.
  9. v8caddy

v8caddy

soon as my daughter gets home I will

10. Pitcher X2 something ain't right!

v8caddy likes this.
  11. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know exactly the two screws you are talking about. I had to deal with them when I removed the wood to do my chop last winter. They were definitely installed prior to the body being bolted together. I was able to get them apart but there was no way of putting them back in the same way they were from factory without taking apart the body.

v8caddy likes this.
  12. my `28 tudor was the same way.....PL400 construction adhesive has held those wood parts in for almost 20 years

v8caddy likes this.
  13. v8caddy

v8caddy

thanks for the tip , I looked up PL400 construction adhesive , boy it sounds like good stuff , says you can even glue frozen lumber together , still going to try to get pic's so everyone can see what I'm doing love pics

14. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Better living through Chemistry" Dupont's logo in the 60's ( mine too)

v8caddy likes this.
  15. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

You are in the right place. Welcome to the HAMB. Pictures will help us to figure this out. There are several screws on my Special Coupe that have to be put in before the body tin can be installed. I replaced all the wood in my car and had it all apart. Made it a bit easier.

v8caddy likes this.
  16. Before you glue, can you drill holes and insert a dowel to help hold it together?

v8caddy likes this.
  17. millersgarage

millersgarage

I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about. The outer body panels nail in to the B post, not rivet, You'll have to pull the nails to pull the panel, then you can get to the screws.
    People here can't seem to function without photos. My 28 build involved removing the quarter panels, so I know about those screws.

v8caddy likes this.