Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** November 2015 Banger Meet - Holidays are just around the corner ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 1, 2015.

1. T__N__A

T__N__A

Here is the latest banger powered car I built, a copy of John Gerber's "Whippet Special"

It is model T powered with an SR Frontenac head.

Attached Files:

2. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

The term "Rocky Mountain" comes from the late Model A brakes. They were on some A's sold up in the mountains as was the "Denver" high compression head. I believe all the 32-35 drums were the open design. Remember the '35's are wider @ 2"- '33/ '34 are 1 3/4 X 12.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I think Bert's still sells the bands that were the basis for the Rocky Mountain brakes. I had them on a speedster with mechanical brakes.

4. I don't know how old you guys are but RockyMountain Brakes were a Model T ford accessory originally. The Denver heads came out for the earlyV8's. If you think I'm wrong Google it!
    I have a 29 with the bands on it and have never, before now, heard them called "Rocky Mountain Brakes". SOSS did a short article on them years ago.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  5. T__N__A

T__N__A

I'm 33 and have never heard of Rocky mountain brakes made for anything other than model T's...until now. Here is a pre 26 rearend with the rocky mount mountain set up

Attached Files:

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've been into Model T's since 1961 and know that Rocky Mountain brakes were a T accessorie. I did read some were were the late 1931 "Open" drums were called Rocky Mountain as well, it did get your attention. Now I'll go over to the Ford Barn and ask some "AR" questions. Bob

7. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I ran "rocky mountain brakes" with cast rears . they wrorked very good

8. G Baese

G Baese

My last T was a '25 Fordor Sedan that had Rocky Mountain brakes just like your picture. It was a heavy car, had a 3:1 Ruxstell axle and some engine mods that let it run with the lowcal 'restored' Model A's. Problem was, being a single-acting outside contracting band on a pressed drum, it stopped fast in town but faded on a grade and was worthless in the rain and reverse- same as my 1900 Mobile steamer! Sure hope the Model A 'Rocky Mountain' brake did away with those flaws.

9. I went to the Ford model A B garage (Vince Falter) and, according to his page on brake drums, the spoked cast iron front drum was standard equipment on all 1931 Model A fords. Nothing was mentioned regarding area of use so I think this is another one of those recent legends/myths. I don't really care what people want to call them after I'm gone. I am 80 years old and have been around these cars a long time. So now I suppose all 31's have "Rocky Mountain Brakes" !!

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Those spoked 1931 drums are rare and must never wear out, guess most stay with the cars, I've had two of them since I started picking up A parts in 1961. Bob

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Cleaning out the basement today, and organizing stuff as I go, just pulled the camshaft out of a B block. Is there one cam guy that most people use? Having a fresh regrind on the shelf would be the thing to do. Bob

Dannerr likes this.
  12. Jim Breirley
    951 695 3713

CrazyUncleHarry likes this.
  13. antiqueautomike

antiqueautomike
    from Spokane

Rick Carnegie- Strong Engine
    509-891-6461

14. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

Yea Jim or Pete both great cam guys

15. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

ive heard good things about Jim Breirleys cam

16. As long as you are not racing against him..............
    Joking, Jim is a Great Guy and as Honest as the day is long.
    Here caught telling more Speed Secrets or Lies
    J IMG_3542reduced.jpg

CrazyUncleHarry and 29 Speedster like this.
  17. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

What are your guys' thoughts on this as a start for a mildly built engine? Too much work, or should I buy this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. The most obvious question is "why was this taken out of service?"
    It looks to be in better shape than the crank partially showing by the rear main.
    Since the bottom is not broken that I can see, the problem is more than likely on the other side.
    Cracks can be fixed to a degree, valves same, holes bored etc.

J

19. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

Guy claims it was left over from a hot rod project. Can you elaborate on what you meant about the rear main bearing? I'm still a little green when it comes to bottom end stuff.

20. Depends on the price and where is the rest of it?

21. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

motor bottom1.jpg rear main is just that . it has 3 main bearings 1) front of motor , 2) center of motor 3) at the rear . if no bad cracks , its all there , build it . most bangers look like that in the beginning . buy les Andrews red book , it will help you .

the rear main is on the other end from the timing gears .

22. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

$200, it's just the short block which I am fine with.

Gotcha. In addition to the Les Andrews book, any other engine-specific resources I should pick up?

Thanks for the input everyone. I'll get some better photos and if no cracks I'll try to pick it up.

23. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

Has anybody started a December banger meet?

24. Jiminy

Jiminy

25. Another book to get your hands on is the Jim Brierley Four Bangers and Me.
    Look on the FAST website. www.Hotforhotfours.com

Dannerr and The Brown Sound like this.
  26. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I believe that les puts out a green book also . never seen one ....

The Brown Sound likes this.
  27. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

The green book has a good section on hopping up A engines. Also included is 12v conversions, Installing a windshield header, juice brakes and a little about Mitchell overdrives.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Dannerr and The Brown Sound like this.