Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1952 Buick "Pearl" a factory custom. My first chop

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by LiveActionMotorsports, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Bobsbuick? Thanks!

2. Bobs automobilia is what u meant right? I checked and didn't see any?

3. LONG

LONG

call. if not I think CARS does

4. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

I checked the bobs catalog
    They only have universal types for you car.
    Try chevys of the forties.

51-53 150s and 210s
    Had a similar 1 inch beltline moulding.

I used a 53 210 rear moulding on my 51
    Used chevy factory bolt in clips.
    Ive seen them on evil bay too.
    Avuuco is the manufacturer.

5. chuckshomeservices

chuckshomeservices
    from mass

I picked up some of those clips for mine from fusic

6. ConstantCustoms

ConstantCustoms

Looks great! Good progress pics too. I just started on my '53 yesterday. Very first build too btw. Thinking about a similar chop as well.

7. Thanks good lookin out I will check into it!!

8. Thanks man just take your time and have fun with it! Remember measure 78 times cut once!! Little at a time!!

9. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443458226.664635.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1443458237.401418.jpg

I scored this 54 for parts. I'll be taking the grille and bumpers and using them on my 52! Really tempting to not put the nailhead in to.. But I think I'll stick with the straight 8! Car will be for sale soon for cheap if anybody is interested located in valley springs ca!

Peanut 1959 and LONG like this.
  10. 'Mo

'Mo

I hate to see a savable car cut up, but those door dips would be killer on a number of cars.

[​IMG]

Eric H likes this.

11. That's a killer idea, I was wondering how that would look. I was also wondering how it would look if I made the 54 windshield frame work on the 52. Would love to see a pic of that's

12. 'Mo

'Mo

Bob Metz used a '55 Buick windshield (and more) on his '50 Buick, "XM105", which was built in 1956!

[​IMG]

13. Wow there's a lot of work there!! I wonder how it would look on my car being a post car and not a hardtop! Maybe I need a photoshop!

14. Can't even tell that it started as a 50 Buick!! Man I would kill to find build pics of that!

15. Criscobath

Criscobath

Great thread! Watching.

16. 'Mo

'Mo

Maybe a hardtop conversion is your ticket.
    I believe Bob started with a Sedanette, and spliced in the later roof, so you're ahead there.
    It also appears that he incorporated the dipped doors and quarter shoulders in the conversion.
    (As well as the cowl, firewall, and probably most of the front sheet metal.) The car has been sectioned, so these mods were probably incorporated during the process. Like you said, a ton of work! But it looks like you've got the raw materials, if you're up to it. (But be advised, Metz was a master craftsman!)

17. Awesome job! What all do you need to do to get it down low? Picked up a 53 and that Buick suspension is some whacky stuff!

18. LONG

LONG

easy to bag though. or use G body springs

19. I have late model Cadillac coils cut down on the rear of mine. And 60s dodge springs cut down in the front then I built shock towers in the front and in running small shocks off an 78 vette in the front

20. Zed

Zed
    from FRANCE

Really interesting way to accommodate the wraparound rear window to the roof ! i really like it ! great proportions too ! subscribed ;)

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.

21. It's my first chop on a car, so I'm just taking it slow and cutting where I think it makes sense!!

22. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446091862.542345.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1446091906.329060.jpg

Small update I started working on the 56 Buick head light bezels man what a pain in the ass it is to fix this old pot metal!! Here is some progress pics I'm using muggy weld. Any tips tricks or pointers?

23. LONG

LONG

never used the stuff. just checked out their site. looks OK. keep us updated

24. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

They make it look easy in the videos. .. but it isn't.
    Keep at it

25. That's the damned truth!!

26. AlkyWagon

AlkyWagon

Great thread!!! Keep it up!!!

LiveActionMotorsports likes this.
  27. Thanks dude! I'll post some progress pics here soon! Been out of town and busy!!

28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

29. Thanks..

30. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1451447358.695444.jpg

Going to pick up my motor from the machine shop tomorrow!! This is the color in painting the block! I'm thinking with a pearl white valve cover!

gonmad and layedout49 like this.