Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Lee Pratt Merc

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Lee Pratt Merc

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    kidcampbell71 and 32ford5 like this.
  2. I love to see cars that low that still drive well.

3. hotrodharry2

hotrodharry2
    from Michigan

Great Story! Great looking custom, many were driven unfinished as they were budget built. Thanks Ryan!

4. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wrote this at 3am and probably didn't elaborate enough on how bad this body really was. Lee said that there were a number of patch panels that were riveted in and just bondo'ed over. So, while the body looks pretty damned nice in these images, it wasn't - at all.

5. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I've always admired Lee's work and cars, but I wasn't familiar with this Merc. Jeez, what a stance! I love the fact that it was driven at this ride height traditionally without aid (who needs air bags???!!!).
    There's something about a primered driver that attracts me too. Gets the gears turning, thinking about how I would go forward with the car if I owned it.
    Where is it now? Did someone tear into the body and make things right, then paint the car?

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, photos can make most anything look good but, with that very Cool stance a lot of flaws are overlooked. not everything need to be perfect. Thanks for pics & story.

7. I often get teased for the 4x4 stance of my 38 Chevy that my pops built, and I'd like for it to sit better. But it drives really well. Best driving old car I've ever driven.

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

[​IMG]
    beautiful rear end treatment

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Great looking car. I love how low it is and the fact that it was DRIVEN! That really is the best part of owning/building these old cars.

Wonder where it is today and what it looks like? For all I know, I may have seen it around here in the Midwest in it's current form.

10. alchemy

alchemy

So Pratt bought it with the black primer and Butterly pinstriping, then stripped it and found the Bondo?

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I believe that's correct... I only have a couple of shots when it was striped. In that state the primer was pretty thin and surface rust was coming through. This pic is giving it a bit too much justice probably:

[​IMG]

Also, to give you an idea of how bad the body was, check this out:

10.jpg

The floor was gone, so the crazy Z was a littler easier to accomplish. :)

But, check out the inside of that driver's rear quarter. Note the square panel and all of those haphazardly placed rivets... How thick must the bondo have been over that mess?

In any case, this thing was "casual" for sure... But also, it was damned cool.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like somebody placed an oversized panel behind the original gas filler lid opening and made a bunch of tack welds to hold it. There must have been at least a quarter inch of Bondo right there.

Being able to see that Z, it should be easy to identify the car in it's current condition. Not many rear frame rails run up that high in a '51 Merc. Anybody seen it?

13. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'll scan it at a higher res when I get a chance... But there are spot welds and rivets actually...

14. That Z tho! And air shocks, the poor man's hyrdaulics.

15. alchemy

alchemy

I'd hate to think my old Boss did that patch, but he did run a "production" body shop. Time is money.

16. This makes me want to z the frame on my dodge, remove some leaves & throw on some air shocks. Car looks great!!!

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I wouldn't hold it against him... You know, the shoemaker has no shoes...

Moriarity and kidcampbell71 like this.
  18. ^^^ haha ... so true.

19. I guess Looks aren't everything. That rear frame work is just plain Nasty.
    The Wizzard

20. Hmmmm... Shitbox '51 daily driver? I feel his pain.

21. El Pratt

El Pratt

I guess it's time for me to jump in and explain the shortcomings and reasons for selling this car. I made the mistake of not looking as close as I should have at the car when I purchased it. When I got home my wife made the comment that the car smoked a lot. On closer inspection the motor was in poor condition and the installation left a lot to be desired. I pulled the engine and trans, had them rebuilt and started on the mechanics. I cut the trunk area out and cut the stock frame off at the kick-up. Put in a Camaro rear end and springs, all new exhaust, rewired the car, and installed a 49 dash. The front end had cut coils and flipped spindles. I replaced the louvered hood with a stock one and reprimered the car. While I was doing all this I discovered that the body was not up to my expectations and it was at this point that I decided to sell the car rather than repair it. I sold it to a guy in Cleveland, OH. Some time later I saw photos of it with Packard tail lights and maybe a chopped top, (not too sure about the top). Hope this answers all the questions asked.

Moriarity, Dan Hay and Gotgas like this.
  22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

No clip up front... I got that one wrong in my notes.

To me, this car is a perfect bomb... I'd like to donuts in it in front of the Continental Club at like 3am.

23. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

I personally think the whole car is awesome. It has a very " Fuck you, I do what I want" attitude to it. Nowadays when every other kustom is laying on the ground with all after market suspension components, I can see how some folks might think it falls a little short. But back in the early 80's, I can only imagine what people thought when it slid into a show or cruise night(or down the freeway for that matter).

24. flamingokid

flamingokid

I had a Sunliner like that.It was more than I wanted to deal with,so I sorted it out and sold it.I took a deposit and a couple of weeks later I delivered it,but in those 2 weeks I discovered I really liked the old 'vert and kinda hoped my guy backed out.I even gave the buyer the opportunity to do so,but no such luck.

25. slammed

slammed

[QUOTE="Ryan,

To me, this car is a perfect bomb... I'd like to donuts in it in front of the Continental Club at like 3am.[/QUOTE] Oh no he di'nt! Ed will not approve of such riotous, hooligan Tom Foolery. Put a line lock in it and do a Rockford too.

26. 39-2dr

39-2dr
    from MISSOURI

I wish it was parked in my garage. I love the look.

27. 00 MACK

00 MACK

This thing showed up in Springfield, Ohio in 85 in grey prime at the K.K.O.A. show. It had 56 Clipper taillights, moulded in lakes pipes and a very sanitary, tight spaced tube grille. By then the headlight were frenched, the hood corners rounded and it still had the Buick hubcaps. There was also a light splash of magenta lettering or something on it somewhere. Oddly, I met Lee Pratt at that same show in his 52 Chevy. I was 9 years old. I will post pics later. I hope I find them. I would like it to be known that never until this very second did it register that the two were the same car. I've always loved the pics of when Lee had it and wondered what happened to it. Turns out I knew all along. I'm kind of bummed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  28. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Here's are pics taken by myself or my mother when I I was 9.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
    Dan Hay likes this.
  29. I liked it better the way it was when Lee had it.

00 MACK and Atwater Mike like this.
  30. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Oh yeah, the thing never should have been touched.

Atwater Mike likes this.