Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model car sunday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by themodelking, Aug 18, 2013.

1. themodelking

themodelking

Lets see em ////

2. themodelking

themodelking

HERE IS ONE I BEEN WORKING ON .. LOTS MORE WORK LEFT 1932 PICK-UP..
    I ALREADY DID A ROADSTER PICK-UP TIME FOR A 3 WINDOW PICK-UP OLD SCHOOL[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. themodelking

themodelking

4. lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. This thread is basically dead, however I have an offer for someone. I was given this model years ago and haven't done anything with it. It's a mostly complete old AMT kit of a 1933 Willys.

It may be worth a dollar or two but I have no idea, so if you want it and can do something with it, it's yours. I'll also throw in some other random model stuff of the same vintage. Just pay the shipping. IMG_0767.JPG IMG_0768.JPG IMG_0769.JPG

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Any of you guys know who may have manufactured a '39 Mercury Convertible model kit in 1/25 scale many years ago. I have most of the parts to one that I've had for over 35 yrs. I have no idea how I came to have it. I know I didn't buy it or I would have kept the box and other parts. It's molded in a dark blue, but someone brush painted it Copper at some point. I'm attempting to remove that paint and rehab the car 'cause I think it's neat and fairly rare. Hoping to put it on a spare AMT '40 Ford chassis I have around......Thanks.....ps I'm 99% sure this is not an AMT or Monogram kit or Revell for that matter. Any insight is appreciated..............Don.

7. Mercury model car.jpg Anyone have a clue as to the manufacturer?

8. Sorry for the crummy phone pic.

9. milo1303s

milo1303s

10. Thanks. I just tacked it onto this thread 'cause even if it's an old one, someone bumped it to the top yesterday. All of the parts you see (except the wheels) are from the same kit. All parts are originally molded in dark blue. Even though it looks a bit like a '40 Ford kit, the taillight openings and grille opening are indicative of a '39 Mercury. Others have suggested it might be an old Pyro production, but I can't seem to verify that. Anybody remember ever building this kit?

11. Aurora maybe? Pactra maybe? Help a brother out.o_O

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Don...
    Now, that's a rare bird! Soy bean plastic, most likely...(I've never seen an early Mercury model in 1/25, except for the old {Aurora?} Mod Squad Mercury Woody kit.) Or was it MPC? I don't have one, so not sure.
    The older Auto dealer promos were made from the soy bean plastic, prior to AMT/Revell using styrene.
    It was a real challenge finding some of the real early promos that weren't warped, some of them practically folded.
    Is your convertible a '39 or a '40? (do you have the grille?)
    I'd look at the Modelhaus catalog, and see if he offers any '39-'40 Merc parts, or a whole resin kit.
    'Modelhaus Don' was always good at responding to questions: He'd know the origins on this Merc.
    That is a desirable model, for sure!

13. ...............Thanks, Mike. Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I kinda thought this thread had faded into oblivion. I'll get back to researching this model........Don.

14. georgetheanimal

georgetheanimal

i will take it. just let me know the shipping.

15. Almost ten years apart, but did kit have two cowl tops with one windscreen chop, one stock?
    Looks similar, but looking over this 40s vert, there is no markings/ manufacture names, so I'm not much help.
    IMG_20151127_134742.JPG
    Crappy phone pic. :D

16. Hi Jeff, thanks for responding. I had kinda set this kit aside for a while. Need to get back to it. The cowl, top half of firewall and windscreen are one separate piece but I can't honestly say if the kit came with two choices as I don't have all of the parts. I only have one top with it so maybe it only had the one arrangement. It appears to be about a 2-3 inch chop so it must have been marketed as a "custom" or with a custom option to the kit.

17. .........Mike, I'm pretty sure it's the later, better plastic (styrene?) 'cause it's in too good of shape (other than the crummy copper paint job:eek:) to be the earlier plastic. I have some experience with early dealer promos that have warped terribly over the years. Thanks for the response.

18. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

What you have is an ITC (Ideal Toy Corp) 1939 Mercury. Made in the early 1960s, ITC made a line of motorized customizing kits.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  19. Thanks so much for that information. Maybe that's why the chassis is missing from this kit. If it had a motorized chassis it may have been discarded or used under something else over the yrs. Were these battery powered or friction motors? Do you know if this particular kit was motorized or no?...........Thanks again. Does anyone else have any further info? I have indeed heard of the Ideal Toy Corp. but had no idea they did 1/25th kits.

20. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

It was battery operated. There's actually one on eBay in the completed/sold items section right now. It's listed as a 1940 Mercury convertible

21. ..........................I've been looking through my 1961 Auto World catalog from Scranton, Pa. and I may have found what this model was derived from. See photo. 12012015.jpg

22. Thanks again, CHOPMERC for the heads-up. 12012015_0001.jpg .........This is the 1961 Auto World catalog I've held onto since that time. It was the enterprise of A.M. "Oscar" Koveleski of Scranton, Pa.

Deuces likes this.
  23. Does anyone remem 12012015_0002.jpg ber Mr. Bob Wingate of El Monte, Ca. and his rather extensive collection including many early dealer promos?

Deuces likes this.
  24. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

What about Model Car Sunday over on the Antiquated side?

25. Deuces

Deuces

I was just looking at this thread 2 hours ago... Thanks for bringing this one back from the dungeon.... ;)

26. Deuces

Deuces

Plenty of threads still on the main forum..... ;)
    Just do a search!...