Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Laurel and Hardy's Model T, How'd They Do That???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Blues4U, Nov 21, 2015.

1. toml24

toml24

I understand in his final years Stan Laurel was in the phone book and anyone could have called him up and chat about the movies. Gosh, if I had only known that then!....

2. Stan and Ollie made their last movie together in 1951, a horrible effort called Atoll K. Ollie had a part in the Fighting Kentuckian with John Wayne in the early 50's, and some small parts in a few other movies, but Stan never worked with anyone but Ollie since they were first paired in the 20's.

3. flyin-t

flyin-t

So was Keaton's widow. I was in college when I started to become a Keaton fanatic (mid 70's the perfect time to discover him because there were 50 year anniversary festivals of his films seemingly everywhere) and I looked her up, knocked on her door and she let me in. I made several visits a year until I got married and had kids. I remember I took her a picture of my son when he was about 6 months old a gave it to her. Told her his name was Keaton, she laughed for 2 minutes straight thinking it was the funniest thing in the world some one would name a kid after her husband.

4. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That was a class act. I'm sure that she appreciated it.

5. 58custom

58custom

When composing your post click the IMAGE button that is next to the happy face button and post the picture link there.

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

This A sedan was at the Hot August Nights swap meet in Reno a couple of years ago and I saw it a gain a few days later at Bonneville. The topside looks pretty stock but underneath it has had a lot done to it. It must have been a parade car. Probably used by a Shriners group from Oakland. The engine is moved way back and there hydraulic rams that work two small wheels. I guess the little wheels lifted the front off the ground and made the car spin in tight circles along the parade route. There was a lot of this stuff in parades in the 50s. There are more pictures in the link. By the way My favorite Laurel & Hardy movie is Way Out West but there's no Ts in it. And there is a lot of Stan Laurel in Dick Van Dyke's physical comedy. Thanks for this thread.
    [​IMG]
    https://picasaweb.google.com/sixpic...authkey=Gv1sRgCJ_foIG_j9WhtQE&feat=directlink

8. There would be no Model A's in a Laurel & Hardy film. Ollie could only drive a T planetary transmission!

9. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

Somewhere on Youtube is a film clip of Stan Laurel's funeral service. Hal Roach, Buster Keaton and a young Dick Van Dyke where there among many others. Sometimes those things turn into "old home week" for the Hollywood types with a lot of joking around but this was a solemn affair. All the folks there seemed very sad to see him go. At the end of the clip Van Dyke climbs into an E-type Jag and drives off.

10. flyin-t

flyin-t

I've seen that too. When Keaton died he left Van Dyke his favorite custom cue stick.

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I love those old movies.

Attached Files: