Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 30 Ford coupe seat/steering wheel position

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fitnessguy, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

need some advice in measuring up yet for the new seat/steering wheel position for my 30 coupe. i plan on using a 40 ford wheel which i already have and a 40 ford column with a vega steering box. Dash will be a 32 style. trying to figure out which length of column to order and where most guys have located the seat. i will fab a seat mount further back from stock. i am 6ft tall. any advice on either or pics of seat mounts guys have done would be great.

2. Such a small car to begin with. I've wondered if people were smaller back then or did they just expect less room?
    On mine, we first put the seat as far back as possible. And then figured the wheel placement... Did a lot of dry runs on placement before I was satisfied. Kinda like crawling into the neighbors XKE. But once inside it's not too tight....................

3. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

what length and style of column did you use?

4. 1. Position the seat bottom to give you enough legroom and the seat back slightly reclined.
    2. Then mock up the steering column and wheel with a wooden dowl and paper place.
    3. You may have to shorten or lenthen the dashboard/steering column bracket in order to tilt the column up or down, respectively.
    4. This is also the right time to position the gas, brake & clutch pedals, as well.

5. mike bowling

mike bowling

A lot depends on the seat you use and where it's located front to back.
    I use the Caravan middle seat (42 1/2 " wide- perfect) re-covered, all the way back ( no package tray.) You have to mock it up for height and "slant" ( front to rear angle) till it feels right. I use different size wood blocks .( 2x4's and different thickness pieces of plywood).
    Then mock up the column and wheel to get location and angle that's right for you. (I'd use the real thing).If your dash is in you can figure your column drop now. Watch out you don't use too big a diameter wheel- "A"s are tiny Also watch that you have enough room for the steering box with the motor in and exhaust manifold on.
    Go slow and make sure everything fits before you make too much permanent- I use LOTS of clamps! ( and bungee cords, and tie wire, etc.)
    Good luck with it.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    wedjim likes this.
  6. No pics to show you,BUT...... Did you remove the package tray yet? First= position your seat. If it's going to be fixed,and not sliding,hold off on solid mounting just yet........
    The old broomstick/cardboard cut-out disc will simulate your wheel....And,you must compensate for any "dish" in the wheel.....
    Might take a couple of extra hands to achieve,but as you sit in your seat,and hold your mock up,you can get the feel of what need's to move for and aft and where.......
    A lot of suppliers provide column's......I will be making my own per post's right here on the HAMB!
    Good Luck!

7. wedjim

wedjim
    from Kissimmee

Similarly, I placed the seat first, then used a pipe section with a cardboard wheel taped to it. Pedals from there, with the right foots heal on the floor for the gas pedal height.
    The biggest thing I found was that the further into the car the wheel is the longer the column can be and still clear the exhaust manifold. For me a 32" column was perfect and no dreaded third steering U-joint was needed.

My steering box was placed so the drag link was parallel with the main tie rod bar.

8. mike bowling

mike bowling

^^^^^ I'm reading the comments and chuckling to myself- Not just ONE thing to fit, it ALL has to fit!!
    Probably the biggest challenge- getting 10 #'s of "STUFF" in a 5# car!! ( on top of being 6 ft tall) You can do it!!

9. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Guys thanks for all the comments. Will follow your tips and take it slow. I am going to be redoing the original seat and using it. The vega box will be mounted in the usual spot on the frame getting the link parallel etc. I would like to have the seat tucked back and don't plan on mounting on sliders but that might change.

wedjim likes this.
  10. OLSKOOL32

OLSKOOL32

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1448425139.479544.jpg
    I used a 30 in column. I used a van seat with no package shelf. I'm 6 ft tall. Very comfortable.

mike bowling likes this.
  11. Bphotrod

Bphotrod
    from da U.P.

I spent many hours on my 28 coupe figuring seat, steering, pedals, and shifter placement. Once dialed in it was an extremely comfortable car to be in. Take your time, otherwise you'll hate being in it.

mike bowling likes this.
  12. Careful planning and taking your time in mock up is key. Space is so limited. My A is an old drag car, I am also 6ft, with the roll bar and other crap it is tight , but not bad. I have driven it long distance and survived just fine. You will get it, just takes some patience ! WIN_20151115_135328.JPG WIN_20141109_163237.JPG

13. can you use this as a base line and adjust from there????? Had this in my file FWIW.....
    30-31-Coupe-small.jpg

mike bowling likes this.