Register now to get rid of these ads!

1956 Chevy 210 Paint Advice

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Workdragon, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Squablow

Squablow

I too have a Crokus Yellow/Laurel green '56 210 4 door sedan, nearly identical to yours but mine has the upper/lower stock style paint two tone. Looks like your car was a clean semi-restored car that sat somewhere with a lot of moisture for a while, the old front bumper has really unusual rust on it.

For a do-it-yourself home type repaint, I'd suggest acrylic enamel. I like Limco brand, it's cheap and it buffs out nice, no clear needed, and I personally think enamel holds up a lot better than lacquer. And you need to sand that paint totally off to bare metal. Not because the paint is bad, but because there's rust in every one of those little chips, and it'll come right back if you try to paint over it.

Neat car though. Someone else posted this pic of a basically bone stock but lowered '56 Belair 4D post in the same color scheme, I'm aiming for something similar on my '56 when I get to it.

[​IMG]

2. Workdragon

Workdragon

Squablow,
    What I love about this picture of this 1956 4 door Bel, is that the paint isn't over the top shinny. That is exactly what I want.

3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The paint on your 56 is Nitrocellulose Lacquer and will shine nicely by using a cleaner wax like Turtle wax or One a Day car polish. Check out the link below for info on your 56.
    http://www.56classicchevy.com/

4. Workdragon

Workdragon

Thanks, that is some really great info. Looks like my 56 is going to get a new paint job. Now to find a good paint system and a shop to get some advice. One would think that in a town like Chicago there would be ton of autobody supply. I have only been able to locate 3 of them. I placed a call to a place named Keystone and will be checking things out on Monday. I just wanted to thank everyone as usual for your considerable help.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  5. Workdragon

Workdragon

Last Monday I went to Portage Auto Parts of 3920 N Milwaukee Ave, Chicago, IL and picked up paint, primer, and stripper. I was supplied with an Acrylic Urethane. Laurel Green turned out to be PPG code 43855 and crockus yellow turned out to be Saturn Yellow PPG code 81888. I decided to order a complete interior and have yet to find the best product at the cheapest price... That is it for now..BTW I have been driving the car everyday 45 minutes, to and from work.

-WD

:p

6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Nice! Don't forget to post some photo updates.

7. Workdragon

Workdragon

Don't worry, I will...It is funny though, I started off just wanting to drive it around and all of a sudden I am repainting, changing the interior, and painting the engine...when does it end..LOL
    -WD

8. Butch M

Butch M

wow I like this one......

9. Workdragon

Workdragon

Yesterday I drove the 56 about two hours away to an old timer that had a collection of parts and parts cars. The whole thing made me really sad. He had a couple of really nice cars..roting away in a garage. He had a nice Bel, just sinking into the ground. ugg made me sick..but I did score some nice oem chrome parts and a straight rust free 210 DS fender. Going to hit the swap meet in Peotone in June and see if I can pickup a few extra parts

10. Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2

I agree. I see this all the time on '55 and '56 210 models. Someone has painted yours similar to a Bel Air. On a 210 the second color would have run to the front end to include the the doors and front end.

11. Workdragon

Workdragon

I have the hardest time trying to find a picture of a 1956 4 door 210 Crocus Yellow and Laurel green combo. I have been to only two tri 5 shows but nothing...anywhere. If anyone has one please post it..
    -WD

P.S. I have been using a new catalogue search tool: http://www.who-sells-it.com. It can really help you find some parts..

12. (quick like a band-aid...) truth is, CY & LG is not a very popular color combo. It has the nickname 'mustard & custard'. CY&LG cars often get repainted some of the more popular colors. About the only place I see them from time to time is on Ebay.

Here is a thread on CT of a guy who just repainted his 210 4dr HT in CY & LG. http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/280300/ . His is the 'speedline' two-tone, while I remember your cowl tag having the 'B' next to the paint code denoting the standard two tone.

Been a while since I looked, but you might also check out www.carnut.com: http://www.carnut.com/photo/list/chev/chev56.html

edit: found two photos in the 'speedline' two tone on Carnut.com:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Scott/Gotta56forme

Last edited: May 13, 2012
  13. as of this morning, there are a few CY & LG on ebay right now. One is a 4dr 210.

14. v8media

v8media

15. Kerry67

Kerry67

16. Jdeshler

Jdeshler
    BANNED

beautiful beautiful beautiful car!!!!!! my grandfather passed two months ago and he always talked about his new 56 chevy.. having one of these will be my dream come true and ill search for one until i find one or im dead:D.. great car man, jealous guy here.. those things are so sinister in triple black

17. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Thank you! That's one of my minor '56 pet peeves.

18. sololobo

sololobo

Great colors, paint it like the factory did. That is one of the coolest combos ever offered in my feeble opinion. Dig it ~sololobo~

19. snaptwo

snaptwo

I too have a '56 sport sedan (4 door hardtop) bel air, factory painted CY-LG . , I have mixed feelings about the colors but it's growing on me. The interior colors though are plain butt ugly to me ! This car was built in Janesville , delivered in MN. to Mr. Tofty and moved to Vegas in '58, very little rust , mostly adjacent or under the exterior stainless. To do this right, all the brightwork ,glass and rubber have to be removed. In stripping the drivers door, I found CY over the factory red oxide and then the LG was applied.I have decided to use mostly stripper and razor scrapers to get the lacquer off with a touch up at the media blasters. In your case , I think as a DD, clean up the worst of the rust, try a bit of elbow grease with some compound and a good coat of wax and enjoy the ride !!

20. Nice looking start to a project

21. Workdragon

Workdragon

Well going to be putting the car away from the winter in November. FYI I haven't even touched it cause I have been working on another project. I have however drove it two times a week to work and back, about 50 miles round trip on the highway. If your in the Chicago land area and see me flying down the highway, give me a honk, simply can't be missed.. cheers

22. jeffg1010

jeffg1010

Just came across this old thread. My dad had a Crocus Yellow / Laurel Green '56 4 door in West Virginia in the early 80's. I'd love to find THAT car.