Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical disc brakes on '29 front axle????????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by anteek49, Nov 23, 2015.

1. anteek49

anteek49

is there a way to put 5x5.5 disc brakes on a '29 front spindles? I'd like to use the '29 spindles and tie rod. Traditional way,not a kit.

2. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

traditional disk brakes ????

3. pitman

pitman

4. 55willys

55willys

Do you also want to retain your stock wheels? I have done a lot of research into this and can help if I know all the details. What is your reason for wanting disc brakes? 40-48 drum brakes can be made to work fairly easily with the model A spindles.

5. anteek49

anteek49

I guess Traditional wasn't the proper word. I want to do it WITHOUT a kit. Like real hotrodders would do it.

6. badshifter

badshifter

You've already made the jump, might as well just call Speedway. We won't tell anyone.

7. Well I can certainly recommend Speedway for a disc brake kit. :rolleyes:

Building every little bit and piece of a car is certainly a traditional way to go about it, but not using a kit if a kit is available does not make it more traditional it just takes one more headache away from the build. I think that there are a lot of variables to take into consideration, one being cost and the liquid assets to cover the cost, another being quality and can you find kit equal to or better then the quality than that you can build yourself. The of course you have to ask yourself is there a kit that uses the parts that you would choose for your build, like for instance, suppose you have your heart set on Airheart Lobsters, is there a kit that incorporates the caliper in question.

Now as for traditional discs there are certainly discs that are considered to be traditional Kinmonts come to mind or discs that fall into the real of traditional for example any disc that would have been available before say '64. Airheart made them as well and Bendix, but none of the above would be considered to be common on a hot rod so for many purists (especially bench purists and those who were not there) none of the above would fit the bill.