Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical *** November 2015 Banger Meet - Holidays are just around the corner ***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Couldn't hurt but not sure how much it would help. The air cleaner that all the parts places sell for Stock A's just made my car run too rich. I've read about adding a balance tube to the carb but for me it was just simpler to not run an aircleaner.

2. Thanks,
    I don't think it was necessary but I wanted the big flat gusset out of the way so it'll be ready for the Kong 5 main girdle engine I plan to run soon.
    That big flat gusset is on there to support the huge hole for the old mount on the center of the cross member.
    I did weld the hole shut and ground down a spot so water and oil wouldn't catch.
    Joe
    [​IMG]

Crazydaddyo likes this.
  3. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the picture, and your efforts on this project.

4. No problem!
    Thanks for your interest and support. :D
    Joe

5. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

6. What, like Weed is not a major city!?!? Hell it is a growth industry.

7. Ha!!!
    It was but sadly the fire took half the town last year.

8. RussTee

RussTee

530sandman nice posts and shots of your engine setup

9. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

nor-cal is getting crowed several of us pretty close now .

10. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my NEW balancer ! awesome to me .................... thank you sand man

waxhead likes this.
  11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

people here (mild hot rods) seem to have good with rebuilts .

12. I grew up in Yreka, a hundred miles north of Redding, Weed was smaller town to our south. Yreka was northern CA.

13. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Weed is just a few miles from Mayhill in the Sacramento mountains of New Mexico. Becky Dean was from Weed. She had a '62 Ford F-100 PU with an Aoooooga horn. She liked nothing better than to sneak up on you from behind, rolling with the engine off, and hit the Aooooooga horn. She would laugh and laugh. I had enough and wired the Aooooooga horn into the brake light switch. You always knew where Becky Dean was, especially at the one 4 way stop that Weed has.

Jet96 likes this.
  14. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

I have hauled so many RxR ties from there . great lumber town at one time ...

Tiny likes this.
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Picked up this B bellhousing at Hershey, did they make another style that had a flat Model A style side mounting or are all B's like this AFTER Hersher 2015 618.jpg ?

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

AFTER Hersher 2015 617.jpg Close up of side. Bob

17. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

I have one in my stack of stuff. I will look at it. I think the one I have is the same as the one in the picture.

18. Carter

Carter

Bob, that is the 33-34 four cylinder clutch housing. 46- part number, I think....
    32 has flat areas for the steady rod brackets, not same as model A...

What is the number stamped in the pad on top?

19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Number on top starts with a B after the star. Bob

20. hot-irons

hot-irons

If I'm reading your question correctly, the flat sides that the rear motor mounts would bolt on are on the lower half of the Bell housing on the back of the oil pan.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

The bellhousing I got at Hershey was ID'd as a 33-34, I think the '32 had one that was unique to that year. The oil pans had nothing to do with rear mounts as I remember them. Bob

22. I have a 32 BB upper flywheel housing, which mates with the B block and the stock B oil pan. it has flat sides, with 2 bolt holes on each side like an A flywheel housing. I also have other 32-34 upper flywheel housings like the one in your picture which do not have machined flat sides.

23. Carter

Carter

Even though the machined area looks similar, it's not the same as model A

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'd like to see photos of whatever fits between the chassis and both of these bellhousings. Bob

25. 5280A2

5280A2

Here are some photos that will hopefully shed some light on differences between the 1932 flywheel housing and the 1933-34 flywheel housing pictured above. The first photo shows the 1932 flywheel housing with the flat sides, followed by photos of the bolt-on bracket for the steady rods which connected the flywheel housing to the K-member. The brackets are slightly angled and are marked R and L for the right and left sides.

IMG_2974.JPG IMG_2977.JPG IMG_2979.JPG

The bolt spacing on the B flywheel housing is 2-5/8 inches versus 2-1/4 inches on the Model A flywheel housing so the B housing will not bolt up to the Model A motor mounts. Antique Auto Parts in Rosemead CA made a version of the Float-a-Motor mounts for installing a B motor in an A chassis by bolting up to the 1932 flywheel housing. As far as I know that is the only aftermarket system for bolt on side mounts that fit a Model B engine. The major parts of that system are shown below followed by a comparison of the B bracket described above with an A motor mount showing the difference in bolt spacing.

IMG_2982.JPG IMG_2980.JPG
    The Float-a-Motor for the B uses the same round rubber biscuits as the Model A version, but there is no mount to tie into the center crossmember like there is for the Model A. These mounts used to be available from several different suppliers, but have been out of production for quite a while and are getting very hard to find. My buddy was looking for a set about a year ago and found that Bert's Model A parts in Denver had bought up what was left of Antique Auto's stock; they had one set left which he purchased. Bert's told him they were thinking about making up some more sets, but I don't know if they have actually made any.

Dannerr likes this.
  26. Carter

Carter

Bob, 5280A2 above covers it pretty well, but to clarify, the A used side mounts, whereas B used the same rear transmission mount at the K-member as the V8. The steady rod brackets are what bolted to the sides of the B flywheel housing, and those rods were bolted to the face of the K-member and ran up to the brackets pictured above.

Dave

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

OK, now I understand, the B doesn't have any side mounts just the steady rods, thanks. Bob

28. The Brown Sound

The Brown Sound
    from Maryland

What's the best way to adapt a later V8 tranny to an A banger? The Cling's kit is nice.... but I already sold my spare kidney a while ago.

29. Graeme MacNeil in New Zealand makes a nice adapter.
    www.macsspeed.com is/was his website. Having problems right now.

The Brown Sound likes this.