Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A vin #

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Slag Kustom, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

I need to know how the stock numbers where stamped in?

where there stars at the ends of the numbers like some other cars have?
    was there a dash between the letter and numbers ex A-3378568

the numbers in my frame have too much rust pitting and cant get a good rubbing of them to get the tittle for it

2. glassguy

glassguy

slag. you can just make one up for a model a, theres no record of their vin numbers due to a fire in the 50s or 60s most people just use the #s from the motor. dave

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

dave i have a tittle with numbers that kind of match the frame (from what i can make out). i just cant get a good rubbing of it to bring to dmv. new jersey makes you trace the vin on any car that is from out of state.

4. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Slag-

Its going to be a Star on both ends, with A and then numbers--

Like this:

*A12345678*

The Mac's Model A catalog will have more info on VIN's too.

Check this page as well:
    http://www.mafca.com/whatyear.html

5. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

any space between the letter and numbers ???

6. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

your title wont have the stars but they are on the frame at both ends of the number as said

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Slag,

Here is a picture of what the serial number would look like, from "How to Restore Your Model A" Volume 1, page 11.

Attached Files:

8. willysrod

willysrod
    from upstate NY

making a rubbing is easy, New York DMV requires it also. Just buy a set of cheap stamps (Harbor Freight), and copy the VIN you need , and punch the numbers into a section cut out from a beer can................makes a damn near perfect rubbing. Chick at the DMV said Wow this came out good !!!!

9. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

that was my plan just did not know what it should look like

10. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

Slag,

Take a look at my last post, Ford changed the design of their stamps in 1931, as shown in the thumbnail photo. The numbers "1, 6 and 9" were different in 31, from the 28-30 stamps.

11. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

12. Where in the world did you get this information! You don't know what you're talking about.

13. Canuck

Canuck

Check out Lee Valley "WWW.leevaley.com" or Ph. 1-800-267-8767 for a "STAR" punch. They have them for $ 4.95 Cdn, part # 50K51.17. Near perfect size. They state they are not rated for use on steel, but I have used one a few times on steel and it still looks as good as new.

Used a cheap set of 1/4" number dies that were the correct style number. Only problem was getting a good stamp, too much flex in the frame. The frame is 2 x 5 x .125 rec tube. Ended up stamping a piece of .125 steel, cutting out a piece of the frame and welding the numbered piece in.

Just another source.

14. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

If the steering box wasn't in, if it is in the way, you could clamp a solid piece of metal under the top flange of the frame and then stamp it.