Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Does anyone still make a shifter for 3 speed tranny

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rusty Karz, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I have been searching on the Web but finding only shifters for automatics. I want to use a 55 Chevy 3 speed in a traditional roadster. Am I just looking in the wrong places or do they not exist anymore? Has anybody fabbed up one?

2. Fedman

Fedman

I would look at a 4 Speed Shifter as well, probably more available and no reason they can't be used on a 3 Speed.
    Good Luck with your search.

3. squirrel

squirrel

probably find them on ebay, swap meets, or the shelves in older guys' shops.

I doubt there has been any demand for new ones for about 20 years.

4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

look for a Hurst Mistery Shifter....I believe the Mystery Shifters were all round shift arm and the 4speeds were flat.

5. I was at autozone about 7-8 years ago and the manager was taking one out to the dumpster. He said the corporate office called and said to trash them. He gave it to me but I sold it earlier this year.

6. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are some out there currently available, but they are flimsy and cheaply built, without the benefit of a low price. I bought one for a project I have going, but after looking at it, decided it wouldn't "cut the mustard". Over the past year I have scored 3 regular Hurst and one Fenton three speed shifter mechanisms on eBay for $20 to $50. Not all have shift arms and brackets, but that stuff is simple enough to make yourself. I am using the brackets and arms from the first shifter I bought with one of the Hursts. I had a thread on here a year ago showing the difference between Hurst shifters and cheaper ones. The advantages of a Hurst are obvious.

8. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

I pulled up the thread you referenced and the difference is worth noting for sure. This may take more time to get it right. Thanks.

9. Rusty Karz

Rusty Karz

After Tubmans post on the Hurst shifter I went back to the Hurst web site and found they still make the 3 speed shifters although they are kind of pricey. Don't know why I missed them the first time. I will definitely look some more for a used one but if not I am glad to know that they are still being made. Thanks to everyone who replied.

10. I've had good luck on eBay, just gotta know what you're buying, yesterday got a new, Pertronix 1.5 ohm PerTronix Performance Pro 40011 Flamethrower Ignition Coil: for $31.00, no tax and free shipping.

volvobrynk likes this.
  11. Check with Billy Belmont at Belmont's Speed in Dedham, Mass.

12. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Your local Auto Zone or Advanced Auto has them.. They are 3 spd truck shifters with taller handles...

13. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

I know I have a couple in my shop, I'll let you know what brand and see if you want one, or I can list it on feebay if you'd rather.

14. I know Hurst still makes them, look at Mr. Gasket too. Summit should have a good selection as well.

15. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Rusty
    My first car was a 61 impala, three on the tree, put in a Hurst Syncro-Loc shifter, loved it.
    Next car was a 57 BelAir, it came with one also.
    In my opinion; these were the best three speed shifters ever made.
    Not sure if you are going after a certain era "look", these were the flat handle style that looks like the Hurst 4 speed handles from the early 60's.
    IIRC, they all came with the handle welded on, not the bolt on style that is common to the later Competition Plus 4 speed shifters.
    When adjusted right, the Syncro-Loc works quite well.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    Church Key likes this.
  16. I'll try to find a chance to pull down my box of old Foxcraft floor shift conversion for 3sp and see if I have one. I have a few left but I don't know what they fit.

17. Yep you just don't hook up the reverser. ^^^^

I am pretty sure that hurst still sells one. Instead of just surfing the web why not call your favorite catalog speed shop. I have discovered that lots of stuff that doesn't show up on their sites are available if you just ask the guy with 40 feet of catalog in front of him.

Some of you guys need to learn to try picking up the phone once in a while and doing it analog. You would be amazed at the results.

dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

hurst's indy shifter is still around--jeg's or summit. should have them.

19. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I picked up a Hurst for my galaxie but it looks kind of cheesy something like Mr Gasket and other places would sell,its only going to be in there until I get around to installing the 4 speed.

20. Been buying off e bay for years, never got burned on anything, read the ad carefully and ask questions, like anything else should be purchased!

21. I buy a lot from eBay, and ask questions. I have favorite sellers I try to deal with first when I need something.

22. LOL I got a Mr Gasket ratchet shifter for two reasons, one because it was cheap and the other because I knew that it was made by Hurst.
    I may never use it but it is on the shelf looking bad ass. :D

The only real difference between a Hurst Indy shifter and the more acceptable Hurst shifters is the stick which can be changed out to one that says Hurst on it. You can even buy shifter handles in different configurations for your shifter separate from the shifter, they are not pricey at all.

A while back I saw a modern day version of the Hurst Yo-Yo in the Wally World ( I think it could have been at the 'Zone). They were manufactured by sparkomatic for a long time after Hurst quit making them and I don't recall who makes them now. That would also be a viable option for a 3 speed on the floor and it would look totally trad.

23. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Beaner
    I can't vouch for the newer built stuff, but back in the day, the Hurst Syncro-Loc shifters
    were built waaay better than the rest of their 3 speed shifters.
    By my (fading) memory, the Syncro-Locs were all built to the application, many of the others were a cheaper universal fit deal.
    Hell, I'd pay extra just to not have that hokey Indy logo on the side of the stick.

24. The gearbox in my 347 Pontiac powered Model T Modified is the original 3 speed straight cut T85 that was in the 57 GMC truck. Originally it was column change that was worn out and I was using a Land Rover steering box and column any, so I bought a Mr Shifter kit to convert it to floor change.

Because it was a universal kit it had to be chopped about to fit. Long story short, the H pattern was vey unreliable and would often leave one shift lever in gear while change trying to shift into another. This jams the box up and could easily cause damage. Speaking to older guys on The HAMB they told me that this was common back in the day and they would often have to poke around under the car to push both shift levers back into neutral before being able to select any gear. Might be OK in rural Texas but would be problematical in heavy traffic here in the UK.

I know I could buy a decent quality Hurst shifter to sort the problem but they are difficult to find over here and a new one would be the thick end of $500 imported. Thinking about it and then checking gear ratios etc, I realised I would not really need 1st gear in day to day driving. Summit and others have two and three stick kits for this gearbox and the later 4 speeds. People on the HAMB report using them without problems on the street. So... on the basis of using what I've got and keeping it simple I decided to make my own twin stick set up using rose joints and some laser cut shift levers. When it goes back in the car I will make a lock out for the reverse lever.

Result is a very slick change in the two gears I will use 99% of the time. This is because the levers pivot on Oilite phosphor bronze bearings, the shift levers are tight on the shafts, the rods are very rigid and the rose joints good quality.

The grips on the 1st/reverse shifter are taken from my K frame S&W 38. Main gearlever uses a practice grenade from Karma Kustoms.

[​IMG]

Fedman and Randy Routt like this.
  25. Randy Routt

Randy Routt

Found one, I know I have a foxcraft somewhere but there is a Mr Gasket, It looks better than the pictures, that you can get for 25 plus shipping. slides and stuff 006.JPG slides and stuff 007.JPG

26. The Syncro locks were better shifters. I am sure if they still make one it is a better shifter still.

Hey you're old enough, do you remember the old Mystery Shifter?

27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Hey now, easy with the "old" talk.;)
    Not that I was ever rolling in $$$$, but I learned early on that if I saved for the better stuff, I would only have to do it once.......cuz I'm lazy.
    Hurst named that "Mystery" shifter appropriately.

28. yes they did. Always a mystery to anyone who ever used one.

I once built an SBC and used stock rockers because they were cheaper, I actually got to where I could change a rocker on the side of the road about as quick as someone could change a flat tire. I got a box of roller rockers ( Harland sharps no less) and a lecture from mrs beaner for Christmas.

Fedman likes this.