Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What have you used?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 21, 2015.

1. I was recently ask about what I used to replace the non reproduced green material that was used in the turn signal housing on my '54 Ranch Wagon and where I got it.

[​IMG]

I used the plastic lid from a sliced turkey container and it worked perfectly.

[​IMG]

brokenspring2-vi.jpg

That got me to thinking what other guys have used in building you cars & trucks.

Something you have used that is not necessarily a automotive piece that did the trick but possibly a house hold item that worked ideally for your project. HRP

2. Since we're on the subject of turkey, :D I've used turkey basters many times to evacuate fluids like from master cylinders, ps reservoirs, etc. th.jpg

3. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I used a small red plastic jewel out of a shit out stud finder in my high beam indicator on my cut down 40 dash in my T modified. Im going to do it again for my 32 sedan project. IMG_0095.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and kiwijeff like this.

4. Speaking of high beam indicator, on the wagon the small piece of red plastic was missing and I used a upholstery punch to get the red dot in needed from a red peanut butter lid. HRP

[​IMG]

5. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

I've used a sprite bottle for the turn signal indicator before

HOTRODPRIMER, kiwijeff and i.rant like this.
  6. You can get colored transparent plastic notebook dividers at office supply stores. That is what I used years ago for my 56 Ford dash.

7. Let us know how the Turkey is next week!

8. 4woody

4woody

For a red indicator I used a piece of the prismatic part of a rear bicycle reflector, with the opaque backing stripped off.

HOTRODPRIMER and kiwijeff like this.
  9. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Maybe not traditional but used red and green LED bulbs for the color.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Removed the unrepairable works from the clock and replaced it with the works from 2 102_2136.JPG (second hand and hr./min. hand ) battery operated $10 alarm clocks stuffed into the case. Batteries are hidden behind the case.

11. Hmmn! Sliced Turkey and Peanut Butter! :rolleyes: You go HRP:cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. Coffee cans (plastic) come in red and green. I've used cut out pieces of those for lenses.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Maybe it's the Canadian in me, but I've used a hockey puck (trimmed to fit) as my throttle pedal pivot/ bushing in my model A.

Hotrodmyk and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I used a pair of geo metro connecting rods for my tail pipe hangers on my T modified.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

The floor board patches on my '55 driver are from sheet metal from my deceased microwave - nice and thick and already painted black

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

I stole my old lady's deep fry basket and use it in my parts cleaner tub- works pisser ( and it's healthier!)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. I remember someone using aluminum frying pans for disc brake covers a while back. HRP

18. fergusonic

fergusonic
    from Kokomo, In

Didn't have any Lock Ring Plyers......so I used a kitchen fork.

Revived 265 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  19. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Thanks for the cool tech! You might have an easier time cutting up a red solo cup than you did with the P.B. Lid. I would have probably busted a knuckle trying to cut that cover. :)

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Just hold any plastic anything up to a light to see what the final piece will look like. :)

lothiandon1940 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  21. atch

atch

I use a wire screen colander (ask your wife/gf) in my parts washer. Works just like mike's deep fry basket and holds a lot of bolts or other small parts.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. It really wasn't a problem,I used one of these. HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 and dana barlow like this.
  23. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Just about any household appliance made out of steel has some large usable panels. I used pieces from a washer and dryer and a old stove to build my floor pans. The newer stuff , 80's or later, is usually painted enamel, not the ceramic coating like stuff from the 50's and 60's had. Small appliances like toaster ovens and toasters often have chrome panels, some are stainless steel. Great for small boxes like fuse box covers or battery boxes. The grills are handy, too. They make good shelves.
    I have an old double door refrigerator in the carport/shop area, one side I keep my welding rods and wire in, it keeps it dry, the other side I keep paint and various small items in.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

I've used those pop in hole covers you get at an Electrical supply house before...but I think thats pretty common.

Needed a steering wheel mount to fit the steering column I made last year.
    Used a 3/4" keyed shaft "weld in hub" meant to be welded into a chain sprocket for agricultural use...which in itself puzzles me...but it worked slick. Welded a piece of exhaust tube (a touch bigger than the column tube) to the rear to hide the bearing and drilled/tapped 3 holes for the wheel to bolt up.
    The key itself extends from the bearing retainer to the end of the shaft and I drilled and tapped the shaft for a 3/8th bolt and washer to make sure the assembly could never loosen and slide off.
    2015-06-18 22.41.01.jpg

HOTRODPRIMER and dana barlow like this.
  25. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Not discs but---Made the brake scoops from an old frying pan.

Attached Files:

26. Slopok

Slopok

I use a yardstick for a gas gauge, like a dipstick.

27. indyjps

indyjps

Saw a guy use an old stove control panel backing plate for a dash insert, stamped aluminum polished up nice, knob holes were enlarged for guages.

Appliances are great, louvered panels, patch panels, I've been cutting a washer up for patches. I've got 2 washing machine outer shells that I'll eventually put together for a blast cabinet.

I use lots of tupper ware for bolts once they get beat up. Garage sale toaster oven for baking paint on bolts. Blower motor from old furnace for garage fan.

28. That's pretty slick! HRP

[​IMG]

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  29. Recently in tech week Dave showed us how to make a column piece from a lamp shade. HRP

Thread

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. mike bowling

mike bowling

Covered the side curtain mounting holes on my roadster with push -in stainless "plugs" I found in the plumbing section of the hardware store. Nice and neat.
    (Hard to see- 2 on the door, 1 behind.)

Attached Files: