Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The Willys F-Head Engine.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pdq67, Nov 19, 2015.

1. pdq67

pdq67

Anybody ever do anything with onna these little odd-ball engines? The intake valve in the head and the exhaust valve in the block..

I had one in my '52 Willys Aero Eagle H/T back in '67 when we were 1st married. My F-I-L gave it to me as a so-called wedding gift...

And if I haven't asked before about the old Jeep Tornado SOHC 6-banger engine. I would like to see a real good blueprint or picture of one's head showing the cam and rockers as well as the chamber.

pdq67

Scramboleer and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

If you get a Motors manual from around '60-'61 you should see excellent cut aways of the OHC Willys. Pretty cool as the same lobe worked both the intake and exhaust valve. You might Google it. The only F head Jeeps I ever worked on was when I was in the Army. I thought they were cool. But never touched one after that.

Scramboleer likes this.
  3. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Because I am a wonderful 6a00d83451b3c669e201630667ef28970d-800wi.jpg person and know how to Google

Scramboleer, kidcampbell71 and bct like this.
  4. Never knew about the SOHC engine, but overhauled a 161 c.i. Hurricane Six when I was 15. The F-head breathes well, but just not much cubic inches there. Still, simple as pie to work on, and quite peppy in the early to mid-50s Aeros, especially if they had the overdrive.

Scramboleer likes this.

5. I had a 63 wagoneer back in the 60s that had the 6 OHC & I overhauled it but please don't ask questions about it as I am lucky to have remembered that much. It did have a ford-o-matic for a tranny & torsion bar front suspension w/4wd. Sold it to a guy in the 70s & he cut it in half ,took out the rear doors & shortened the frame so he could launch his boat. Ruined a pretty nice 4wd wagon. is car his money I didn't give a shit I had the CIF.

Scramboleer likes this.
  6. Critical Mass

Critical Mass

The 230 Tornado SOHC 6 is a Kaiser-Frasier block with a new head and cam drive mechanism. As mentioned above, it came out in 63 when Henry J Kaiser owned the Jeep Corporation (hence the Kaiser block) and was also used in the Wagoneer and military variants of the Gladiator pickup. When AMC purchased Jeep, the tooling for the engine went to Argentina and IKA used it in Gladiators, Wagoneers, and their Torino model- this was a 64/65 Rambler American that was updated until the 70s and even ralliyed in Europe. Imagine the little American with this engine equipped with a hotter cam, headers, and 3 big side draft Webers- from the factory! Google IKA for more pics and info (if you read Spaniah).

Scramboleer likes this.
  7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It's an SOHC hemi engine. When Ford built one everybody went nuts. When Jeep had them nobody knew. Or cared.

Scramboleer likes this.
  8. second_floor_loft

second_floor_loft

Finished an overhaul of an F-head 161 six cylinder recently. Parts are getting a little hard to find but they are around. The F-head 134, four cylinder is more common and easier to find parts for. Most internal parts will not interchange. Pistons, rods, valves, guides, pushrods...all different. The stroke on the four is longer than the six. Delta Cam in Tacoma knows the engine (six cylinder) and can regrind the cams..(everybody else I talked to had no idea what I was talking about.)

1952henry and Scramboleer like this.
  9. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

F head design has the interesting property of allowing big valves on a long stroke engine without sacrificing compression. Hudson's Super Six was an F head in the teens and twenties and was considered a sensational performer. Rolls Royce made F head engines for years.

Brooks Stevens first Excalibur sports car was based on a Willys chassis and six cylinder F head. He hopped up the motor and revved it so high the factory engineers predicted it would blow up but it never did.

[​IMG]

10. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

More on the Excalibur. 100HP from 161 cu in was good going in 1952. Ford's brand new OHV six got 101HP from 215 cu in and was considered hot stuff.

The Excalibur Js traded the Henry J’s L-head six for the newer Willys “Hurricane” F-head engine, also used in the Willys Aero compact. In stock form, the 161 cu. in. (2,639 cc) Hurricane six made 10 to 15 horsepower (7.5 to 10 kW) more than its flathead counterpart; in racing tune, Stevens’ crew extracted a reliable 100+ hp (75 kW). With a dry weight of only 1,500 lb (680 lb) — nearly 900 lb (400 kg) lighter than the already-svelte six-cylinder Henry J — that was enough to give the Excalibur J strong acceleration and a top speed of around 120 mph (193 km/h).

[​IMG]
    Willys-Overland’s “Hurricane” F-head (intake over exhaust) engines were a development of the company’s earlier L-head line and shared some of the same tooling. Moving the intake valves to the cylinder head allowed larger ports and better breathing while the long-stroke, undersquare dimensions provided good low-end torque — important in the Jeeps that were the main users of these engines. The four-cylinder Hurricane was introduced on Jeeps and Jeepsters in 1950, the six-cylinder version (seen here in a production Kaiser Darrin) in 1952. They remained in use in both the U.S. and Brazil into the 1970s. (Photo © 2009 Murilee Martin; used with permission)

The Willys-powered Excalibur J ran its first SCCA race in July 1952, taking second in class. According to Bill Brown, the Excalibur Js ran in some two dozen events in the 1952 and 1953 seasons, winning nine of them and regularly besting European and Anglo-American rivals costing far more.

Scramboleer and bct like this.
  11. pdq67

pdq67

If anybody wants to, then please go over the Speedtalk and look in the "Engine Tech" section at my thread titled "Willys F-Head Engine".

The guys over there have posted a great deal of information on this and it is very interesting.

Seems the South American Countries took the little F-Head engine to heart As well as made the Jeep 6-lobe SOHC engine into a 12-lobe SOHC jobber.

I wished that it would have stayed alive here, but whatever. Look at the deaths of the "Hot Shot" Crosley and the Pontiac Sprint SOHC engines...

And I want to thank everybody on "The Hamb" that contributed to my thread.

THANKS!!!

pdq67

Scramboleer likes this.
  12. Mark56

Mark56

The Brazilians tinkered with the F-head several times during it's production run down there, starting in 1960 with the 90hp US version in a '55 type Aero.
    The modifications boosted horsepower a little more each time. They had a couple dual carb versions and ended up with a single carb version, one going into the Brazilian Ford Maverick that put out 135hp, after being bought out by Ford.
    I've got a '54 that was running when I parked it in the early 70's and want to rebuild it sometime this winter or next year and plan on fitting a Brazilian dual carb head I found a couple years ago. Other than the head, I haven't started gathering parts yet or even torn down the engine. Hopefully I'll be able to find the parts I need.
    DSCF7087.JPG

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
  13. GraeffSS

GraeffSS

Sorry to dig up a 2015 thread, but i found it and decided to share my knowledge in Brazilian 161s

Willys didn't make as many modifications on the engines as some people think, there are basically 3 different versions of the Willys engine and 2 of the Ford engine:
    The basic 90hp BF-161 engine (1958-1975)
    [​IMG]
    The 110hp 2600 2 carb engine, which was a 161 with different head (pictured on the post above), 3x2 exhaust and timing changes (1963-1971)
    [​IMG]
    The 132hp Willys 3000 engine, a tall deck version of the 2600 with 4" stroke, a different head with separated intake manifold and a single 2 barrel carb and 8:1 CR(1967-1973)
    [​IMG]
    Things start to get interesting when Ford took over Willys in 1967, they developed an improved version of the 3000 to use in the Maverick, with improved cooling, bigger oil pump with full flow oil filter and other small changes, but reverted it to the old 161 head and reduced the CR to 7.7:1 (and the power to 112hp)
    [​IMG]
    There was also a one-off aluminum head designed for the Willys Capeta (devil) prototype, with 2 Weber DCOE carbs, there is no official power rating, but some people say around 155hp
    [​IMG]

To finish up these are 2 engines my father and i have been working on, the first is a Ford 3000, this engine blew 5 head gaskets in the past (with 2 different heads), now it has another head(the one from the engine below).
    the second is a 161 with a 3000 head and a DFV 446(Stromberg WW) carburetor in place of the original DVF 444

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
    Scramboleer and elgringo71 like this.
  14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I have a F-head in my 62 Jeep CJ. I use it as a plow truck.

Pat

Scramboleer likes this.