Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Please Help!! I.D. This four cylinder flathead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Panel Pete, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

I'm trying to identify this engine, it belonged to a friends father and has been stored inside this barn since 1948!! He's looking to move it on down the road and another friend of mine is interested in it for his next build. The only problem is none of us have any idea of what the hell it is!

Unfortunately my friends father has passed so asking him isn't an option. These are the only pictures available as the barn the engine is in isn't local. I'm hoping that someone can help shed some light on who made it and maybe when it was made.

Any ideas?

By the way, the car next to it is a 1925 ford that my buddies dad bought off of the original owner when he was 13 years old in 1938 for $6.00!! He paid $5.00 for the car and $1.00 for the title - he even has the original title and a hand written bill of sale for it!!

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

It looks like possibly a Chrysler L head 4 to me, will see if I can come up with some dates or displacements...

3. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

N series Ford tractor engine used in Ford trucks, 1941-42

4. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I believe the Chrysler L head four is the same as the Plymouth L head four cylinder. At least the 29 Chrysler is. And I have a little experience with the Plymouth PA and PB motors. And this is not one of those.

5. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Is there a serial number stamped on it anywhere? Must be stamped, cast numbers are part numbers.

6. Listen to farmalldan, he's got it right. That's why the early Ford V-8 transmission bolts up to it. Found in 8n Ford tractors.

7. Panel Pete

Panel Pete

So, it sounds like its a 9N with a truck transmission. Sounds like it might be a candidate to put into the truck he's piecing together.

Thanks to everyone who posted for the help, at least now it's worth the drive to check out in person. I'll post some more info if it follows us home.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Post those pics on the FordBarn for a positive ID...I think it's Ford as well, due to the head.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Farmalldan has it, no need to collect any more opinion. it would be out of a light pickup Ford, since it has the regular 3-speed and passenger car type mount, and I would assume (never actually touched one of these things!) that the serial is stamped in the flat area of the trans bellhousing right above the little tin cover. Van Pelt site doesn't seem to cover the N serial, used only in a few commercial vehicles. Fuel pump and pan are about the only differences between this and the N type tractor engine, so parts are VERY easy to get, and trans is regular Ford V8 with an extra divot cut in it to clear the starter drive. This was Ford's attempt to replace the V860 with an engine even less capable of moving a Ford...it belongs in some kind of very light rod!

volvobrynk and patmanta like this.
  10. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Late to the game here, but I'm subscribing as I've recently gotten very interested in the idea of using one of these in a little rod build.

I'd like to see how one of these works out in a T framed build for sure (particularly because I have a T frame in my shed).

11. Be sure to check out the cubic inches and rebuild parts availability first. A Model A or Model B engine might be a better choice.

Charlie Stephens

12. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Yeah, will do. I'm in the very early stages of liking this idea. I'm going to see what I can source from places like TSC for the 8N and what's applicable or good as far as running a N block in a little rod or jalopy. There are A LOT of 8N's still running and working in New England. You don't see engines for sale usually though, just the whole running and sometimes restored tractors. But that means there's parts here, so I'm interested, nevermind the guy selling six Model A blocks down the road from me... ;)

13. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Like the ideer of these engines.
    There are a lot of keep going parts avalible. Not that many go fast parts, but the should be possible to make. Regrind cam, bump compression and modern carb/ignition/transmission.

http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/c...a=FORD&&ref=2&&db=Nseries.data&&r=nseries.htm

But I think that a Fordson E27 would be an interesting upgrade. Shouldn't be that hard to adapt, looks the part and is 264 ci cu in displacement.

14. pdq67

pdq67

I have to say that the old 8N Ford tractor with a flathead V-8 in it is WAY COOL!!

There is one that show's up at the Centralia, MO Anchor Festival every year. The guy with it says it is stock..

pdq67