Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects First time build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ericjustus, Nov 20, 2015.

1. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Been snooping around here for a while. Always been into cars, built VWs for many, many years. Decided to work my way up to this and flipped a few old cars. Finally ended up with a beat up old ’30 body and got some ’32 frame rails from So Cal. Built it how I saw fit and am not done. I still feel like this is just the “base” to my hot rod project. With that being said, Id like some critics advice on this as I was trying to go period correct, 50’s type build. Before you hit me on headlights, I hate them. Just waiting for the right set and have E&J’s on the shelf right now but want options.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Looks good. Stick with the headlights you have

3. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

E&Js on that roadster would be a travesty. Put the E&Js on a downtown yuppie sculpture or something else fitting.
    Look as bad as falsies on hill Clinton.

gwhite, X38 and ericjustus like this.
  4. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

That's why they are on the shelf and we have Ebay ;) plenty of more parts I think I can fund for that engine

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Good man...

1927graham likes this.
  6. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I like the car, think it is heading the right way. I too think the headlights work don't use the E & J's.
    Hey knew a guy, Al Justus, back in the day. He had a cool '38 Chevy. Any relation?

7. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

IDK of any Justus's other than myself and my Dad, Gary.
    It's not the style of the headlights, it's just that they are re-pops. I like vintage stuff. Can't you tell by those sweet ass patio furniture pads I had for seats!? Hahaha. This was the first time I drove the car and drove it to the twilight cruise. I built it in 3 months and was waiting for something to go wrong. Didn't have time to stitch up a proper seat.

8. spinout

spinout
    from Dallas, TX

Lookin' good...............

9. louisb

louisb

Good looking roadster.

--louis

10. zgears

zgears

11. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I really like your roadster. I'm also building a 1930 roadster. Do you have any more pictures?

12. brady1929

brady1929

I have one too and only hope it turns out that nice.

13. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

Looks like you are headed in the right direction! The headlights do stick out a little due to their shininess, nothing that a little bit of abuse couldn't solve......:)

14. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

15. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Sure do...ill post some of the build

16. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Idk if my pics got posted?

Attached Files:

17. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Ahh shit. K I'm new here. Lemme try this again

Attached Files:

texkbc and keywestjack like this.
  18. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

i have a 30 av8 in the works too....the head lights are just a little to far forward ,set em back so the rings are just in front of the grill...my 2 cents...sell them e +j things .....

19. cretin

cretin

Those headers are cool

20. X2

21. Looks good, I'm following your build.

22. Welcome to active duty and the car looks great! Tim

23. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Thanks, everyone. As I said it is still a project and not complete. I tore the bottom half of the engine apart and changed the water pumps, seals, flywheel and clutch. I also had to move the fan down to clear my radiator hoses. So as I collect parts I will delve into the upper half tear down. I have been reading up on how to remove the heads, etc. I am rebuilding my other Stromberg right now. They will go on this :)

Attached Files:

24. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

Thanks for the additional pictures! That PM-7 is going to look great in your car

25. Very cool little roadster....With what you have done with the paint on the body I see no problem you making the paint on the head lights look the same as the body. Keep them. Love the new intake..

26. Hey, your car works for me. Really looks the part...
    The headlights are great. And like said above, ya could give em a little work over to match the body...

27. reefer

reefer

Stick with the lights you've got.....not keen on faked patined paint jobs though....paint it proper and let it wear.....love the overall style of the car especially the raked screen.

EJ's must be the grottiest lights ever imo......only ever seen them work on a couple of cars...for the light they probably kick out, Id say they are more of a fashion statement ....same goes for Kinmont brakes and Pines winter front grills and 25 louver deuce hood sides lol.

gwhite likes this.
  28. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

E&J lights would look great with a Duvall windshield and maybe some different caps.

Personally all I would change would be the color of the engine and ditch the fake patina.

29. Awesome hotrod. You did a great job!

30. ericjustus

ericjustus
    from Chino, CA

Totally get the color choice critiques. I have had and have cars with expensive paint and body work. For me, 85 years of abuse on these bodies look just as good as them being ironed out to a glass finish. Just my preference. The car was already in the red oxide primer when I got it, frame rails bare metal. I decided to hit it with the rattle can with a few coats and rough it up. I have done this before and my experience is that it looks exactly as stated…fake. But since it is a rattle can it does not hold as well as paint from a gun. After a year or two of mother nature’s abuse and a lack of attention to the paint the faux job tends to take on a more real affect. So I just went for it. I have plenty more to build, collect and perfect so the goal to make it a driving hot rod was my first objective, hence the 3 month build time frame. I am not hot on anything fake or reproduced, so I totally get it. The headlights will just be left so someone else can either slap them on or beat them up. I just need to find the right pair with the right real patina.

The engine has the cool, old feel of nasty paint and years of abuse. I would be hard pressed to repaint anything at this point. I feel like the change of heads, intake and the dual carb set up will really downplay the rest of the engine. But for right now yes, a bit much of a color blob.

I had to start somewhere :)